Default recommend a clear coat spray?

I dont have any fancy paints or even an air compressor for that matter,
but i dont want my sheetmetal projects to be so ... delicate i guess.
if i put machine swirls on a piece of sheet steel, is there any kind of
clear coat spray in a can that i can hit it with to give it a finish
thats less susceptible to tarnish as well as annoying fingerprints?
any brand names? home depot available? =)

Bugs

Get clearcoat at any body shop. It's expensive.
Bugs

stagesmith

After some intensive field tests I can say that the best Aerosol
solution to clearcoating steel is Rustoleum Clear Enamel.

For Brass and Copper I prefer Parks brand Brass and Copper Clearcoat.
It is a lacquer and bonds well.

Tim Killian

Polyurethane will be the most durable coating. If you don't need that,
then Krylon 1301 is better than lacquer. It dries faster and will last
just as long. Be sure to wipe the parts with acetone first, hit them
with a tack cloth, and make sure there is no condensation or other
moisture (humidity less than 60%) when you spray.

wrote:

I dont have any fancy paints or even an air compressor for that matter,
but i dont want my sheetmetal projects to be so ... delicate i guess.
if i put machine swirls on a piece of sheet steel, is there any kind of
clear coat spray in a can that i can hit it with to give it a finish
thats less susceptible to tarnish as well as annoying fingerprints?
any brand names? home depot available? =)

stagesmith

I disagree about polyurethanes.
They do not bond well at all to bare steel.
They end up peeling off like celophane tape.

The 2 best finishes I found were Rustoleum clear enamel and a water
based acrylic clear coat from a patina dealer I buy from.
The rustoleum is much easier to apply and looks better.

Steve Peterson

"stagesmith" wrote in message
oups.com...
I disagree about polyurethanes.
They do not bond well at all to bare steel.
They end up peeling off like celophane tape.

The 2 best finishes I found were Rustoleum clear enamel and a water
based acrylic clear coat from a patina dealer I buy from.
The rustoleum is much easier to apply and looks better.

When you use the Rustoleum is it the 7701 clear?
http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp...ct_id=18&SBL=1

Spehro Pefhany

On 14 Jan 2005 14:00:27 -0800, the renowned "stagesmith"
wrote:

I disagree about polyurethanes.
They do not bond well at all to bare steel.
They end up peeling off like celophane tape.

The 2 best finishes I found were Rustoleum clear enamel and a water
based acrylic clear coat from a patina dealer I buy from.
The rustoleum is much easier to apply and looks better.

What about the clear powder coatings?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
stagesmith

Yep that's the stuff.

In the field tests we ran at school it was far superior in rust
prevention to all other aerosols.

We cut 8 pieces of 1" square tube, ground them clean and clear coated 7
of them with various products.
The eight was left bare for a control.
All the tube pieces were hung on our outside chainlink fence that
surrounds the welding area.
They were left there for 6 months from October to March.
In Seattle this is our wettest time period.

The polyurethanes, both water and solvent based, were heavilly spotted
with rust.
The acrylics were nearly useless.
The Lacquers were OK, but still had spots.
The Rustoleum Clear Enamel was the cleanest.
The water based acrylic primer-sealer from Custom Patina Finishes was
the best for protection, but it had clouded over from the UV

stagesmith

Yes powder coating works quite well, but it is difficult to do
yourself.