Default Questions about restoring a Star 9" lathe

I purchased a Seneca Star lathe this week and have spent
much of the weekend overhauling and cleaning it.

The motor assembly wasn't attached when I looked at it so
I wasn't able to run it before buying it, but it did seem
in pretty good condition. Someone added a taper attachment
and an aftermarket QC gearbox at some point. The name on the
gearbox is "New-All aviation company" or something like
that.

Question 1) What size belt should I use? The pulleys are
1 1/8" wide. I've heard that there should be a 1/4 on each
side, but that would leave a 5/8" belt and that doesn't seem
like very much. Would a 1" belt work?

Question 2) Type of belt. I was planning on purchasing leather
from McMaster and skiving it. But I saw that they had NBR and
SBR synthetic belts already premade in the size I need. Would
these be better than leather?

Question 3) It came with a 1/3 hp motor. I've got three
spare capacitor start motors: 1/2, 3/4, and 1 hp. Is the
1/3 hp enough or should I use one of the bigger ones?

It also came with a one-point steady rest (or at least that
is what it looks like - it isn't a follower rest). Where these
common at one time?

Thanks for the help,
Aaron

Lathe building questions . . . Tim Williams Metalworking 9 April 1st 04 11:35 PM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 06:42 PM
New Rockwell lathe and some questions about it. Paul T. Metalworking 6 July 18th 03 11:47 PM