R.H.

Default What is it? XLII

Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Ron DeBlock

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:49:16 +0000, R.H. wrote:

Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

230 - Device for enlarging, um, well, you know....

231 - measures drill or wire size?

232 - Calcite? I have a chunk of that around here somewhere.

233 - threading die holder

234 - looks like a ladle, but that's an odd way to attach the handle.

235 - part of a tube flaring tool set. That part clamps 'round the tube.

-Ron

Pounds on Wood

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

233 is a threading die holder.
235 is a tubing flaring tool. Clamps around the tubing, in this case one of
3 sizes.
225 goes with 235 and actually swages the flare.
229 is a common chain saw chain.

--
********
Bill Pounds

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

231 looks like a telephone dial. I think in the days
of actual dial telephones, only 24 letters were mapped
to the digits. The letters shown are the first of the
standard triplets 2-ABC 3-DEF, etc.

My desk electronic phone has all 26 letters with two
digits having quads instead of triplets: 7-PQRS 9-WXYZ.
I would guess the original standard omitted Q and Z.
Note that 8-T on your photo, that only makes sense if
one of PQRS is omitted from 7.
Odd that the dial you show has a Z on 0, that usually
means operator.

edard

R.H. wrote:

Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

231 Tiny phone dial?
224 For linking chain?
226 Slapjack (Cop's persuasion device)

B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

230. Gunner's crib toy.
231. Prehistoric Speak 'n' Spell
232. Left over transparent aluminum from that time the Enterprise came
back in time and stole some whales. And a book.
233. Beer cap untwister for the elderly.
234. Russian TV calibration tool--use it to whack the side of the tube.
235. Stocks for elves who won't build toys fast enough.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Leo Lichtman

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few more photos:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
#231 is a small phone dial, probably meant to be used with a stylus. It
could be from the type of phone that linemen wore on their belts in the dial
phone dim past.
#234 is for breaking ice cubes. Hold the cube in the palm of one hand, and
make the weight vibrate against it. I have one--it works. Brand name is
"Tap Icer."

Roger Shoaf

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

230] A flare gun.
231] Telephone dial. Possibly for a service technician.
233] A die stock. (hold a die for cutting external threads.
234] You hold an ice cube in one hand and whap it with the convex end of the
tool.
235] holds tubing for flaring. used in conjunction with the tool in photo

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Wood Butcher

231. Dial mechanism out of a telephone installer/linesmans
test set(pre touch tone era). I have several of these sets
which used to be my old man's. Got them from him after he
retired.

Art

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

230) It *looks* like a long-reach industrial strength corkscrew,
but it might be for drilling long holes through wood.

231) Phone dial from the old rubber-encased lineman's handsets.

232) It looks to me like a big salt crystal.

233) Die stock. Looks to have been die cast, not forged, so I don't
know about the strength under serious use.

234) Spring mounted drumstick for quick automatic repeats?

235) The other half of the flaring tool which you had in the last
batch (225).

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Mark & Juanita

#231: Very old rotary dial for phone

#232: Calcite?

#233: Die holder for die part of tap and die set

#234: Crucible for some kind of molten metal? Lead for bullet molds?

#235: Missing part of flaring tool from last week's puzzles

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

Bullwinkle J. Moose

Woodbutcher, any interest in getting rid of one? My dad, my grandpa, great
grandpa, and I are and was, all "Bell guy's" read phone men

newsnJAd.41113$k25.12731@attbi_s53...

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

john

"R.H." wrote:

Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Item 230 looks like an old cork remover for wine bottles

Item 231 is the dial off an old linemans test phone... you had to use a
pin or pick in the holes to dial it.

Item 232 looks like a piece of quartz.

Item 233 is a die holder for a threading die.

Item 234 is a lead ladle for pouring lead into cast iron pipe joints for
cauking.

Item 235 is half of a flaring tool...

Item 224 is a rplacement link to repair a broken tire chain

Item 225 is the other half of the flairing tool 235

Item 226 is an ice breaker ....many times used as a soft blow hammer for
a number of things.

Item 227 is a spoke wrench to set the tension on bicycle tires spokes.

John
Dave

#232 The mineral ulexite

"R.H." wrote:

Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Bullwinkle J. Moose

Dang, I was gonna say upsidaisyum!

#232 The mineral ulexite

"R.H." wrote:

Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Kris Baker

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

230: rug-hooking shuttle.

Kris

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

231 -- a very old fashioned telephone dial
232 -- I'd think it was clear calcite, except it doesn't exhibit the
double-refraction property. It does have a high index of
refraction.
234 -- the result of 0^0, in physical form.

Dave Bell

R.H. wrote:

Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

230: !!! Center part looks like a strap tensioning spindle; the top left
appears to clamp over (something); the very top left appears to be a
ratchet pawl for the shaft; at the bottom left, the spiral could be a
guide for a hose or cable. I have no idea!

231: Telephone dial, possibly from a test set.

232: Calcite, I believe

233: Die stock (handle)

234: Ice cracker

235: The missing part of the flaring tool in the previous set

R.H.

"Ron DeBlock" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:49:16 +0000, R.H. wrote:

Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

230 - Device for enlarging, um, well, you know....

Nope, not for enlarging anything...

231 - measures drill or wire size?

Not for measuring

232 - Calcite? I have a chunk of that around here somewhere.

This one isn't calcite.

233 - threading die holder

Correct.

234 - looks like a ladle, but that's an odd way to attach the handle.

Nope

235 - part of a tube flaring tool set. That part clamps 'round the tube.

Yes

R.H.

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

233 is a threading die holder.
235 is a tubing flaring tool. Clamps around the tubing, in this case one

of
3 sizes.
225 goes with 235 and actually swages the flare.
229 is a common chain saw chain.

These are all correct.

R.H.

wrote in message
oups.com...

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

231 looks like a telephone dial. I think in the days
of actual dial telephones, only 24 letters were mapped
to the digits. The letters shown are the first of the
standard triplets 2-ABC 3-DEF, etc.

My desk electronic phone has all 26 letters with two
digits having quads instead of triplets: 7-PQRS 9-WXYZ.
I would guess the original standard omitted Q and Z.
Note that 8-T on your photo, that only makes sense if
one of PQRS is omitted from 7.
Odd that the dial you show has a Z on 0, that usually
means operator.

It's a dial, but not for a regular phone.

R.H.

#231 is a small phone dial, probably meant to be used with a stylus. It

#234 is for breaking ice cubes. Hold the cube in the palm of one hand,

and
make the weight vibrate against it. I have one--it works. Brand name is
"Tap Icer."

Both of these are correct, though I haven't tried the ice cracker yet.

All of these are right.

R.H.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

230) It *looks* like a long-reach industrial strength corkscrew,
but it might be for drilling long holes through wood.

This one isn't a corkscrew nor a drill

#231: Very old rotary dial for phone

Yes, but as I replied to a different post, it's not for a regular phone.

#232: Calcite?

Nope

#233: Die holder for die part of tap and die set

Correct

#234: Crucible for some kind of molten metal? Lead for bullet molds?

This one isn't a crucible

#235: Missing part of flaring tool from last week's puzzles

Yes

R.H.

"john" wrote in message

"R.H." wrote:

Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Item 230 looks like an old cork remover for wine bottles

Nope

Item 231 is the dial off an old linemans test phone... you had to use a
pin or pick in the holes to dial it.

Correct

Item 232 looks like a piece of quartz.

This one isn't quartz.

Item 233 is a die holder for a threading die.

Yes

Item 234 is a lead ladle for pouring lead into cast iron pipe joints for
cauking.

Nope

Item 235 is half of a flaring tool...

Item 224 is a rplacement link to repair a broken tire chain

Item 225 is the other half of the flairing tool 235

These three are correct, though I'm not sure if 224 is for tire chain.

Item 226 is an ice breaker ....many times used as a soft blow hammer for
a number of things.

Nope

Item 227 is a spoke wrench to set the tension on bicycle tires spokes.

Yes

R.H.

#232 The mineral ulexite

Correct, it's also called a TV stone, if you hold it up to your eye you
can't see through it (you can't see across the room, just a blur of light),
an image can be seen through it only when it's placed directly on something.
With it's fibrous crystal growth, it's like naturally occurring fiber
optics, as you can see in the photos the image is transmitted straight up
from the bottom. If you put it on a dollar or a printed page and move it
around, the way the image looks in relation to the real printing is very
unusual. I get really great reactions with this one, it's one of my
favorite things to show people.

R.H.

"Kris Baker" wrote in message
m...

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

230: rug-hooking shuttle.

Nope, it's not for rug-hooking.

R.H.

"Matthew Russotto" wrote in message
In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

231 -- a very old fashioned telephone dial

It's a telephone dial used for testing purposes by linemen.

232 -- I'd think it was clear calcite, except it doesn't exhibit the
double-refraction property. It does have a high index of
refraction.

As you guessed, it's not calcite.

234 -- the result of 0^0, in physical form.

I'll have to do some research on this...

R.H.

"Dave Bell" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:

Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

230: !!! Center part looks like a strap tensioning spindle; the top left
appears to clamp over (something); the very top left appears to be a
ratchet pawl for the shaft; at the bottom left, the spiral could be a
guide for a hose or cable. I have no idea!

You're right about the spiral, a long rope goes through the short coil at
the lower left of the first photo and I think it also passes through the
handle at the upper left.

231: Telephone dial, possibly from a test set.

Correct

232: Calcite, I believe

Nope

233: Die stock (handle)

234: Ice cracker

235: The missing part of the flaring tool in the previous set

These last three are correct.

ROCKHEAD

230 is an apple corer, I think

R.H.

"ROCKHEAD" wrote in message
230 is an apple corer, I think

230 isn't an apple corer, it's not something that is used in the home.

R.H.

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

230. Gunner's crib toy.
231. Prehistoric Speak 'n' Spell
232. Left over transparent aluminum from that time the Enterprise came
back in time and stole some whales. And a book.
233. Beer cap untwister for the elderly.
234. Russian TV calibration tool--use it to whack the side of the tube.
235. Stocks for elves who won't build toys fast enough.

lol, these are your best answers yet...

Rich Grise

R.H. wrote:
Just posted a few more photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

231 -- a very old fashioned telephone dial

It's a telephone dial used for testing purposes by linemen.

232 -- I'd think it was clear calcite, except it doesn't exhibit the
double-refraction property. It does have a high index of
refraction.

As you guessed, it's not calcite.

I remember learning about some mineral that's a bunch of parallel fibers,
but can't remember what it is - asbestos springs to mind, but that's
probably not right.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu.../asbestos.html
Chrysotile or Grunerite, maybe.

233 is a die holder for threading pipe or rod stock.

234 looks like some kind of whacker, but I can't imagine for what.
Maybe to knock out cows for slaughter.

235 is a clamp used to hold tube for flaring the end
e.g.:
http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...et-KD2199.html
Hey - 225 is the other half of 235!

224 is a removable chain link

226 is a two-headed measuring spoon
227 some kind of machine tool key or valve handle
229 chain saw blade

Cheers!
Rich

R.H.

As you guessed, it's not calcite.

I remember learning about some mineral that's a bunch of parallel fibers,
but can't remember what it is - asbestos springs to mind, but that's
probably not right.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu.../asbestos.html
Chrysotile or Grunerite, maybe.

It's not any of these.

233 is a die holder for threading pipe or rod stock.

Correct

234 looks like some kind of whacker, but I can't imagine for what.
Maybe to knock out cows for slaughter.

Yes, it's for hitting something, but it's much too small for cows.

235 is a clamp used to hold tube for flaring the end
e.g.:
http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...et-KD2199.html
Hey - 225 is the other half of 235!

224 is a removable chain link

Both of these are correct.

226 is a two-headed measuring spoon

Nope, it's made of leather

227 some kind of machine tool key or valve handle

No, it's a specific type of wrench.

229 chain saw blade

Correct.

Rob

R.H.

Haven't had many new guesses for a couple days so I went ahead and posted an
answer link to the latest set.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rich Grise

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:41:35 +0000, R.H. wrote:

Haven't had many new guesses for a couple days so I went ahead and posted an
answer link to the latest set.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Got any more pix of 228? I notice it's still "Unknown". It looks like a
folding straightedge, but I'd really like to see some better pix, with it
folded and unfolded, closeups of the hinge, and stick ends, and recess,
and so on. It could be Paul Bunyan's Razor! ;-)

And when I found out that the "boot weight" was made of leather, but
before I found out it was a boot weight, I was going to say, "blackjack."
Which is probably what it was, like a "tire checker" is a tire checker. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Dave Bell

R.H. wrote:
Haven't had many new guesses for a couple days so I went ahead and posted an
answer link to the latest set.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I had read of that damnable #230, but never saw one! Very clever...
R.H.

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:41:35 +0000, R.H. wrote:

Haven't had many new guesses for a couple days so I went ahead and

posted an
answer link to the latest set.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Got any more pix of 228? I notice it's still "Unknown". It looks like a
folding straightedge, but I'd really like to see some better pix, with it
folded and unfolded, closeups of the hinge, and stick ends, and recess,
and so on. It could be Paul Bunyan's Razor! ;-)

This one belongs to someone else, there used to be more photos of it at this
link, half way down the page:

http://www.rightgood.com/log/2002_05_26_bark.htm

But I just checked and they're coming up blank, maybe they'll show up in a
day or two. I'll email him and see what's up.

And when I found out that the "boot weight" was made of leather, but
before I found out it was a boot weight, I was going to say, "blackjack."
Which is probably what it was, like a "tire checker" is a tire checker.

;-)

I actually bought the book weight at a book store, but I guess someone could
use it for whatever suited their needs. A lot of people thought it was a
blackjack.