Errol Groff

Default Great Wife, Definitely a Keeper

It being school vacation I have been in my school shop doing things
that I can't get done with students around.

One of the things I wanted to get to was to start making whistle
bodies because Cabin Fever Expo is coming up fast and I hoped to have
at least forty whistles to hand out to the little kids.

My wife, Terri, asked if I needed some help since she is off work
presently and I said sure. All help is welcome and appreciated.

So, today we headed up to school and I walked her through the
operation of our CNC lathe which was set up for making whistle bodies.

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/ scroll down to find
Steve Lovely's Whistle Plans for the plans in PDF format.

Anyway, after a bit, and some starts and stops, she got the hang of it
and by the end of the day had machined 35 brass whistle bodies.

Pretty darn good for someone who had NEVER touched a machine tool
before and better than most of my students would do in the same time
frame.

She will probably not give up her day job (or more properly her night
nurse job) but she made a heck of a good start as an apprentice
machinist today.

Come August it will be 39 years that we have been putting up with each
other and I am pretty lucky to have her.

Happy New year to all,

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School
643 Upper Maple Street
Dantieson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

Jeff Wisnia

Errol Groff wrote:

[...]

I've never had a wife help me do anything with tools ever since I asked
my first one, "Hand me that soldering iron please", and stuck my hand
out behind me without looking like a surgeon saying, "scalpel" .

She handed it to me hot end first....

Jeff (Who's been hitched 42 years now...14 to the first and 28 to the
present one.)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Rich

I never thanked you and Steve for the whistle plans. When my 13 year old
nephew came to visit I had him make one on my lathe and mill. He loved it!

BTW, instead of soldering the tubes in place we adjusted the dimensions for
a press fit and used the arbor press to assemble them. Since the center
piece was aluminum this worked out well. I think this is the loudest whistle
I have heard.

"Errol Groff" wrote in message

[...]

Rex B

"Errol Groff" wrote in message
http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/ scroll down to find
Steve Lovely's Whistle Plans for the plans in PDF format.

I guess I'm losing it, but I've been to the website twice now and have yet
to find that. Plenty of other neat links though, wasted an hour or so

Jon Elson

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Errol Groff wrote:

[...]

This is a TRAGEDY! You've been together THIRTY-NINE years and you've never
let her TOUCH a machine tool????!!!! She has the beginnings of a GREAT
machinist
in her, if on her first day EVER she completed 35 of ANYTHING!

Let her do a couple more jobs like that, and she'll come home from the
hospital one day
and say "I'm never going back there AGAIN!" (OR, maybe, that's what
you've been
worried about. Nothing like a little family diversity to keep the home
economy on
level footing!)

Jon

Jeff R.

"Rex B" wrote in message
"Errol Groff" wrote in message
http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/ scroll down to find
Steve Lovely's Whistle Plans for the plans in PDF format.

I guess I'm losing it, but I've been to the website twice now and have yet
to find that. Plenty of other neat links though, wasted an hour or so

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsoc...istle_Plan.pdf

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsoc...dendum%202.pdf

and

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsoc...n_Addendum.pdf

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
snip-----

Jeff (Who's been hitched 42 years now...14 to the first and 28 to the
present one.)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

Strange!! That's how it is for me, too, except it's 27½ years with Susan.
Things are much better the second time around.

Harold

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:57:13 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
snip-----

Jeff (Who's been hitched 42 years now...14 to the first and 28 to the
present one.)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

Strange!! That's how it is for me, too, except it's 27½ years with Susan.
Things are much better the second time around.

Harold

I am a great believer in scratchpad marriage -- you know, one to throw
away, one to keep.

I'm coming up on 22 years on my second.

BTW: It helps to marry a saint.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.