DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Proper RPMs for Snow Blower Engine? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/83496-proper-rpms-snow-blower-engine.html)

Jeff Wisnia December 28th 04 05:43 PM

Proper RPMs for Snow Blower Engine?

I've got a feeling the governed full speed RPM of the 6 HP Tecumseh
"Snow King" engine on my 1964 Ariens Sno-Thro has been decreasing over
the years, as the "Widow Maker"* doesn't seem to be launching snow as
far as I remember it could a while back, and nothing seems obstructed or
noticably worn. ('Course I can't toss snow as far as I could back in
'64, but there's not much I can do about that. G)

I've got a spark induction tach, but when I looked in the original
manuals this morning, there's no mention of what the full speed RPMs
should be set to.

The governor spring has probably taken a set over the years, probably
because of my habit of shutting it down by leaving the engine running at
full speed and closing the fuel petcock, which leaves the spring
stretched a bit all the time.

Speed pleez?

Thanks guys and Happy New Year,

Jeff

* So named by me because it predates the safety features on today's snow
blowers. The front halves of the auger ends are exposed and ready to
grab any pant leg in range and there's no dead man system, other than
waiting for the gas tank to run dry.

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Ronnie December 28th 04 05:52 PM

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
[...]

You're right, you can thank the attorneys for the lower speed of a lot
of thing; less speed = less injury. Pull the cooling shroud off the
motor and find a plastic paddle that rides close to the flywheel. Cut
the plastic paddle back so the cooling fan doesn't blow it back as far
and keep the rpm down, and your rpm will come up to where it should be.
Ronnie

Ronnie

Jeff Wisnia December 28th 04 06:00 PM

Ronnie wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but I won't let lawyers within 100 feet of my tools, and I doubt
that surgery to the air vane is required, just resetting how hard the
spring pulls against it should do it, or maybe even buying a new spring,
but I'd rather not over rev the engine by going too far.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Waynemak December 28th 04 06:07 PM

I don't think the engine uses the plastic flap. Most Tehcumseh engines are
governed inside the crank case. you need to adjust the arm that connects to
the shaft that goes into the engine.

Wwj2110 December 28th 04 06:14 PM

"as the "Widow Maker"* doesn't seem to be launching snow as
far as I remember it could a while back"

I just went thru that with my gilson 5hp. When it threw snow it acted as if it
were vomiting on itself. I shortened the governor spring until the rpms
sounded more healthy but not screaming. Works ok now.

Wayne Cook December 28th 04 06:33 PM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:43:51 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

I've got a feeling the governed full speed RPM of the 6 HP Tecumseh
"Snow King" engine on my 1964 Ariens Sno-Thro has been decreasing over
the years, as the "Widow Maker"* doesn't seem to be launching snow as
far as I remember it could a while back, and nothing seems obstructed or
noticably worn. ('Course I can't toss snow as far as I could back in
'64, but there's not much I can do about that. G)

I've got a spark induction tach, but when I looked in the original
manuals this morning, there's no mention of what the full speed RPMs
should be set to.

The governor spring has probably taken a set over the years, probably
because of my habit of shutting it down by leaving the engine running at
full speed and closing the fuel petcock, which leaves the spring
stretched a bit all the time.

Speed pleez?

Most of these engines are rated at 3600 rpm but I don't recommend
running them that fast all the time. I'd say that 3000 rpm should be
enough but if it was me I'd just adjust it high enough to make it work
the way you want it.
Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Nate Weber December 28th 04 06:35 PM

Speed pleez?

3600 RPM at no load.

Nate

--
http://www.Weber-Automation.net:8000

GTO69RA4 December 28th 04 08:09 PM

[...]

Top rated speed for these engines is 3600 RPM. On snowblowers they're usually
run in the 3400-3600 range, although on one as old as yours I'd keep it at the
lower end. Do not adjust the speed by messing with the governor spring, that's
the leading cause for problems with troubleshooting later on. There's a "U"
shaped wire between the cable-controlled quadrant and a lever that tugs on the
governor. You spread or pinch the U depending on which way you want to go.

Before you do this you also want to "zero" the main governor lever on the
engine shaft. The procedure's outlined in all the manuals.

Those are great old machines. 1964 was the last year for the cat snatcher
bucket. Until earlier this year I had a '63 6/24 with the optional removable
side panels. The main safety difference that modern blowers have are deadmans
for the auger and traction drive. Keep your wits about you and you're fine.

GTO(John)

GTO69RA4 December 28th 04 08:11 PM

You're right, you can thank the attorneys for the lower speed of a lot
of thing; less speed = less injury. Pull the cooling shroud off the
motor and find a plastic paddle that rides close to the flywheel. Cut
the plastic paddle back so the cooling fan doesn't blow it back as far
and keep the rpm down, and your rpm will come up to where it should be.
Ronnie

Ronnie

Modern snowblower engines run just as fast or faster than older ones, so do the
impellers. Lawn mowers are the ones limited by federal specs. 3200 RPM for
residential machines last time I checked.

Tecumseh snow engines don't use vane governors, they use an internal flyweight
type. If you do have a vane engine, there are legit ways for adjusting the
speed without hacking at stuff.

GTO(John)

Joe AutoDrill December 28th 04 08:13 PM

Modern snowblower engines run just as fast or faster than older ones, so
do the
impellers. Lawn mowers are the ones limited by federal specs. 3200 RPM for
residential machines last time I checked.

So the question for me is how do I speed up my lawnmower fast enough to work
like a snowblower?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Jeff Wisnia December 28th 04 10:05 PM

GTO69RA4 wrote:

[...]

Thanks John,

I hadn't looked at the governor setup yet, but I'm reasonably sure I can
handle an adjustment if it needs it. I may have jumped the gun thinking
it might have a sagged spring, and I didn't intend to shorten a coil
spring or anything like that, just change the span between the effective
end of the the Bowdoin cable and what it's pulling on, which is what it
sounds like what closing or opening that "U" will do.

I just couldn't remember if the RPMs on that size engine had to be kept
below 3,000 or what. I'll stick the tach near the plug wire tonite and
see what the revs really are. The Ariens got used yesterday morning when
for the first significant snow of the season, about 8" of dry stuff,
here in Winchester, Taxachusetts.

My old Ariens does have mounting holes for those half round side panels
and they are pictured in it's owner's booklet, but they weren't with the
machine when I bought it about 30 years ago, cheap because the previous
owner had stripped the spark plug threads. At that time a new head and
gasket cost less than helicoiling it, so that's the way I fixed it. I
prefer it without those side panels 'cause I can nibble chisel away
packed snow by angling the front of the machine into it. Just don't ask
me anything bout those curved scratches on the fender of SWMBOs car.

Mine also has those funky bidirectional overunning clutch gadgets in the
drive wheel hubs which give it a pseudo differential action. They let
the outside wheel overrun the drive axle in both forward and reverse. I
hadda fix them up about ten years ago after the tangs on their friction
bands broke off, I couldn't lower myself to just freeze 'em solid with a
bolt through a drilled hole like some folks told me to do. They've
worked fine since then.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Jon Elson December 28th 04 10:25 PM

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Modern snowblower engines run just as fast or faster than older ones, so
do the
impellers. Lawn mowers are the ones limited by federal specs. 3200 RPM for
residential machines last time I checked.

So the question for me is how do I speed up my lawnmower fast enough to work
like a snowblower?

This i'd LOVE to see! I don't think it would work real well. A
snowblower has to
move fairly slowly to keep from melting and packing the snow. A lawnmower
runs way to fast, in terms of surface speeds, to do it right. I suppose
a lawnmower
could actually clear an inch or two of light snow, but it would make a
HUGE mess
of a thick, wet snow, I'm afraid. Now, if you mounted it at right
angles to the
ground, and advanced it into the face of the snow pack, that might work
a lot like
an alpine snow blower. It would sure be a hazardous machine, too, until
the engine
fried from lack of lube. (Don't anybody actually DO this and then sue
me, please!)

Jon

GTO69RA4 December 28th 04 10:41 PM

So the question for me is how do I speed up my lawnmower fast enough to work
like a snowblower?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

You'd have to get that mower pretty fast to clear a good couple feet.

GTO(John)

GTO69RA4 December 28th 04 10:49 PM

Thanks John,

[...]

How much snow'd you guys get? Here on the MA north shore we must have had 12".
Not quite the 4" they said on TV.

The tractors for these snowblowers came with three different drive setups.
Solid axle, weirdo clutches, and an unlockable differential. I had the diff
model. Easy to turn, lousy on slippery surfaces. It was still a couple years
before they made them locking.

GTO(John)

Jeff Wisnia December 28th 04 11:23 PM

GTO69RA4 wrote:
[...]

I think we got spared in Winchester, even with my usual exageration I
don't think I could say we got more than 8" and it was about the
"dryest" I'd ever seen here, I was suprised at the amount of drifting
and clearing down to the bare pavement we got from whatever wind was
blowing.

Doubtless someone from the midwest will chime in asking why we we even
need snowblowers for such a ****ant little bit of snow. (But, were you
around here for the "Blizzard of 78"?)

The tractors for these snowblowers came with three different drive setups.
Solid axle, weirdo clutches, and an unlockable differential. I had the diff
model. Easy to turn, lousy on slippery surfaces.

Must have been useful only when ferrying them around on dry
pavement. G

I've got chains on mine 'cause We've got a 90 foot long driveway with a
slope of about 1 in 10.

It was still a couple years
before they made them locking.

GTO(John)

I'm planning on keeping the Ariens I've got running.....until we finally
make it to Florida and I swear I'm gonna ship it down there along with
SWMBOs dishes and my tools, spray it with gold paint, and fasten it onto
a concrete pad as a front lawn ornament.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Carpy December 28th 04 11:24 PM

Snow, ......Snow blower,.......... hmmmmmm, I must be missing
something living in the deep south........na, I don't think
so!............;-)

GTO69RA4 December 29th 04 12:31 AM

Must have been useful only when ferrying them around on dry
pavement. G

I've got chains on mine 'cause We've got a 90 foot long driveway with a
slope of about 1 in 10.

The differential model was geared more towards year-round use with the trail
mower and power sweep attachments. Mine came with turf tires and chains, but I
switched to Sno-Hog knobbies. Looking back probably not the smartest idea.

GTO(John)

Rob McDonald December 29th 04 02:29 AM

(Wwj2110) wrote in
:

"as the "Widow Maker"* doesn't seem to be launching snow as
far as I remember it could a while back"

I just went thru that with my gilson 5hp. When it threw snow it acted
as if it were vomiting on itself. I shortened the governor spring
until the rpms sounded more healthy but not screaming. Works ok now.

Something that helps my 8hp Gilson a lot is to sand a paint the chute so
the snow slides through easily.

Rob

Jeff Wisnia December 29th 04 03:15 AM

Measured engine speed tonite. Right around 3500 RPM according to my
little wireless tachometer. My curiousity is satisfied and I was
probably barking up the wrong tree thinking the engine speed had sagged.

A son gave me that wireless tach a few years ago. I probably wouldn't
have sprung for it myself, given the price and the few times I've had
need for it, but it sure is easy to use. It picks up the pulsing
magnetic field from the spark plug lead and measures the repitition
rate. Mine looks like this one:

http://www.smallenginebusiness.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?store_code=SEB&screen=PROD&product_co de=7-05952

Guess maybe yesterday's snow was so dry and powdery it was like trying
to snowblow talcum powder. Not enough mass to volume ratio in the
snowflakes to let them fly very far before air resistance slowed them down.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

Gary Owens December 29th 04 03:18 AM

Don't forget to bring your windshield scraper. They have got a light dew
down here, they call frost, and its cool to bring out a 3 ft scraper with a
brush on the end to wipe it away.
gary

SNIP

Tom Miller December 29th 04 04:02 AM

yep! As a Canadian expatriate living in Melbourne, Australia for the last
thirty years, I remember snow blowers, but not with any enjoyment. At the
worst here, the snow hits the ground about every 2 or 3 years but melts
within about 10 minutes. I don't even own a pair of snow gloves. I check the
weather in Saskatchewan a few times every year just to remind myself how
good I've got it.

Tom
"Tom Quackenbush" wrote in message
Carpy wrote:

Snow, ......Snow blower,.......... hmmmmmm, I must be missing
something living in the deep south........na, I don't think
so!............;-)

Got bugs?

R,
Tom Q.
Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Ted December 29th 04 04:04 AM

"as the "Widow Maker"* doesn't seem to be launching snow as
far as I remember it could a while back"

I just went thru that with my gilson 5hp. When it threw snow it acted
as if it were vomiting on itself. I shortened the governor spring
until the rpms sounded more healthy but not screaming. Works ok now.

Something that helps my 8hp Gilson a lot is to sand a paint the chute so
the snow slides through easily.

Rob

A good coat of wax will also help speed things along. Just like eating
a bunch of Fritos.

Ted

--
Ted Bennett
Portland, OR

Ken Davey December 29th 04 04:27 AM

Carpy wrote:

Snow, ......Snow blower,.......... hmmmmmm, I must be missing
something living in the deep south........na, I don't think
so!............;-)

Got bugs?

R,
Tom Q.
Remove bogusinfo to reply.

HaHa chortle snort!!
I was given a Lee Valley State-of-the-art windshield scraper by a well
meaning friend.His face fell off his head when I said "I am going to open a
bar in Central America andI will hang this 'thing' over the bar. Anyone who
can correctly identify it will drink free for the night!!
I am in Central America as I speak and I am looking for the location for
said bar.
On another note I showed up in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada in March
in my old van.
The gas jockey was plumb confused by the mess of bugs smeared on the front
of this vehicle.
"Oh yah" said I, "just came back from Costa Rica".
Ya had to be there!

http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
http://www.spammotel.com

Dan Murphy December 29th 04 04:37 AM

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

My neighbor had one of those old beasts, and it had the same problem. Not being
too handy, he asked me to take a look at it. I found the fuel/air mixture was
way off. The adjustment screws on the carb had backed out over the years. After
adjusting the carb, cleaning the air filter and changing the spark plug, it was
tossing snow as far as it ever did.
I would be careful with messing around with the governor. My brother blew the
motor on his Ariens by running it wide open. OTOH, I adjusted the governor on
my lawn tractor and have had no problems. Now I can mow the lawn at around
20mph while throwing a fifteen foot rooster tail of grass clippings. g

Dan

Ken Davey December 29th 04 05:41 AM

Dan Murphy wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

[...]

Agreed - and do not mess with the governor settings until all other
settings have been used to obtain 'original' power.
The carb settings that worked when the unit was new usually are far off the
mark after a couple of hundred hours of operation.
Is this unit equipped with points ignition?
Dump that system if it is and go with an after market electronic system if
possible - otherwise get the ignition system 'on spec'- AND THEN tune the
carb to try to achieve the original rpm/power. This is for a four stroke
engine only!! Tuning for power with a two stroke is a totally different
beast.
Hope this helps.
Ken.

Carl Byrns December 29th 04 05:46 AM

wrote:

I've got a feeling the governed full speed RPM of the 6 HP Tecumseh
"Snow King" engine on my 1964 Ariens Sno-Thro has been decreasing over
the years, as the "Widow Maker"* doesn't seem to be launching snow as
far as I remember it could a while back, and nothing seems obstructed or
noticably worn. ('Course I can't toss snow as far as I could back in
'64, but there's not much I can do about that. G)

I've got a spark induction tach, but when I looked in the original
manuals this morning, there's no mention of what the full speed RPMs
should be set to.

First off, getting 40 years out of one of these engines is a small
miracle. Chances are the engine is at the end of it's string and is
due for retirement. Common problem: The valve guides are simply bores
in the block and when worn will cause a lack of power even though the
compression feels good. Pull the head and rotate the crank until a
valve is at full extension and then see if you can wiggle the valve
around. It will be real obvious if the guide is worn. To repair, the
guide is reamed and then an oversize valve is fitted.

Oh, yeah: check the muffler. A rotted or non-OEM muffler will cause
all kinds of running problems.

But, just in case, here's how to adjust the flyweight governor on a
horizontal-crank Tecumseh:

With the engine off:
1) Loosen the governor lever clamp screw.
2) Twist the protruding end of the governor shaft clockwise as far as
it will go.
3) While holding the governor shaft clockwise, move the governor lever
until the throttle shaft is in the wide open position.
4) Tighten the governor lever clamp screw.

You may also need to dial in the carb, which is likely a Carter N:

1) Set the idle needle at 1 1/2 turns open and the main needle 1 3/4
open.

2 )With the engine running at normal temp, adjust main needle for
smoothest operation under load.

3) Adjust the idle needle for smooth idle and good acceleration. The
Carter N is kind of tricky to dial in and may take a few tries and the
engine might skip a little at idle- that's OK as long as it's steady
under load.

-Carl

[email protected] December 31st 04 05:42 AM

wrote:

[...]

Lots of those old beasts still tossing snow up here in Ontario. I
retired one last year (had sold it to a neighbour some years back)
when a valve jammed and the camshaft broke. It was a 1973 Ariens with
a 5HP SnoKing.
I'm still using my1970-ish Canadiana 5-26. Had a governor problem 10
years ago that took a rod bearing out of the first engine. Got my
hands on a low hour used engine and installed it one awful miserable
cold and windy January afternoon, and managed to damage the pulley in
the process. I brazed it together and it lasted until I threw the belt
last Thursday. Lost the part this time, so I pulled it off, brazed up
a gob where the part was missing, and turned it back to shape on the
Myford.

I worked for an Ariens dealer in the late sixties and their stuff was
VERY well built back then.

Don Foreman December 31st 04 07:31 AM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:23:09 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Doubtless someone from the midwest will chime in asking why we we even
need snowblowers for such a ****ant little bit of snow.

Jeff, why do you even bother with such a ****ant little bit of snow?

(But, were you around here for the "Blizzard of 78"?)

Pffbbttt. I was here for the Hallowe'en blizzard of 1990: 28 inches
in Mnpls, 34 inches in Duluth. Trick or treat!

I just got an alumni magazine in which a guy recounted walking to
class from Trailertown thru crotch-deep snow in Houghton, MI. We got
well over 200 inches of snow one year I was there. The record is
355.9 inches in '78-79. That'd be 29 feet or so. Snow does sublimate
some but it doesn't melt midwinter in that neck of the woods.

They got 118 inches (9.8 feet) just in December that winter.

There were houses up around Calumet with second-story porches with no
stairs to the ground. I figured they were back doors during the
winter. Yoopers don't worry boud a liddlebit snow, eh?

Yoopers are folks that live in Michigan's UP -- upper peninsula. .
Houghton is about midway up the Keewenaw Peninsula which projects
north into Lake Superior from the Upper Peninsula. Perhaps Keewenaw
is the upper peninsula of the upper pensula.... eh?

It was fun listening to a highschool basketball game on the radio
because of the preponderance of Finnish names. "Kivisaari to
Ruotoniemi, over to Maki, now to Ahola, pass to Kuivanen, HE
SCORES!: I enjoyed that because I'm half Finn, heard endless
arguments about politics between my mother and grandfather that I
didn't understand much of because they were conducted in Finnish.
About all the Finn I recall anymore is "sit down", "bad boy", "good
girl" (that for my suckup sister) and "be quiet" when I loudly
objected that Ma had been snookered by suckup sister. Ooh yah, and
"Merry Christmas".

The autumn color is so spectacular on the Keewenaw that Michigan Tech
declares a holiday on "K-day" so all can go enjoy it.

Ken Sterling December 31st 04 11:40 AM

wrote:

Doubtless someone from the midwest will chime in asking why we we even
need snowblowers for such a ****ant little bit of snow.

Jeff, why do you even bother with such a ****ant little bit of snow?

(But, were you around here for the "Blizzard of 78"?)

Pffbbttt. I was here for the Hallowe'en blizzard of 1990: 28 inches
in Mnpls, 34 inches in Duluth. Trick or treat!

snip
and you walked 10 miles to school one-way and
12 miles back - BOTH uphill .. .. .. :-)
Ken.

Don Foreman December 31st 04 07:28 PM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:40:58 GMT, Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:

and you walked 10 miles to school one-way and
12 miles back - BOTH uphill .. .. .. :-)

Barefoot

Sven December 31st 04 11:36 PM

[...]

Paivaa, Don
I was surprised to read you are a Finlander too. With a good Finnish name
like Foreman I should have known. When I was growing up in northern
Minnesota, Finn was spoken daily but now is seldom heard. I still remember
about 50-60 words but I never could string a sentence together. I started
making some ethnic signs and have welcome in 8 different languages now.
Tervetuloa is the Finn version. I have some posted on this Yahoo photo page
http://tinyurl.com/54cuu "Haista Napa" has been a popular one too. If you
want to insult a Finn tell him to go smell something.

Nakamiin, Steve Peterson

Gunner January 1st 05 03:14 AM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:36:10 -0600, "Sven" wrote:

The autumn color is so spectacular on the Keewenaw that Michigan Tech
declares a holiday on "K-day" so all can go enjoy it.

Paivaa, Don
I was surprised to read you are a Finlander too. With a good Finnish name
like Foreman I should have known. When I was growing up in northern
Minnesota, Finn was spoken daily but now is seldom heard. I still remember
about 50-60 words but I never could string a sentence together. I started
making some ethnic signs and have welcome in 8 different languages now.
Tervetuloa is the Finn version. I have some posted on this Yahoo photo page
http://tinyurl.com/54cuu "Haista Napa" has been a popular one too. If you
want to insult a Finn tell him to go smell something.

Nakamiin, Steve Peterson

Paivaa, Steve.

Gunner (Ojala)

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill

Don Foreman January 1st 05 05:20 AM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:36:10 -0600, "Sven" wrote:

Paivaa, Don
I was surprised to read you are a Finlander too. With a good Finnish name
like Foreman I should have known.

Hyva Paivaa Sven!

My middle name is Sirola. My grandfather's name was originally
Suuronen but he got tired of hearing it mispronounced so he changed it
to Sirola.

Neat signs! Our neighbors at the lake, of Norwegians heritage,
have a sign on their road that says "Halvorson Hytte" which we're told
means "Halvorson little house (or cottage)". I've wanted to make
a sign to put on our outhouse that says "Shytte Hytte" but my wife
doesn't think it would be a good idea....

Don Foreman January 1st 05 05:29 AM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:36:10 -0600, "Sven" wrote:
When I was growing up in northern
Minnesota, Finn was spoken daily but now is seldom heard.

You've undoubtedly heard the story that December 6 is Pearl Maki day
in MN? That's the day Pearl Maki got bombed in Two Harbors....

Steve Peterson January 1st 05 06:04 AM

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:36:10 -0600, "Sven" wrote:
When I was growing up in northern
Minnesota, Finn was spoken daily but now is seldom heard.

You've undoubtedly heard the story that December 6 is Pearl Maki day
in MN? That's the day Pearl Maki got bombed in Two Harbors....

I wonder if Pearle is any relation to Supermaki from Wolf Lake. Now that is
the place to get bombed. (I say as I sit up sipping a rum and coke alone at
the puter New Years Eve) The breadwinner is in bed already as she has to
work tomorrow.
It is really interesting how people open up and talk about the old days and
their roots when they see my ethnic signs at shows. The funniest was when a
younger guy and his girlfriend were looking at the Polish "Witamy" sign and
the guy said "Who would want a Pollack sign?" The shocked girl said "Me
cause I'm Polish". The guy looked like he could have crawled in the nearest
hole.
Happy New Years to you guys!
Steve

Gerald Miller January 1st 05 07:19 PM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:28:39 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:40:58 GMT, Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:

and you walked 10 miles to school one-way and
12 miles back - BOTH uphill .. .. .. :-)

Barefoot

An' it was so slippery we had to turn around and walk the other way
'cause for every step we took, we slid back two.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Jeff Wisnia January 5th 05 01:06 AM

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, built like a brick defacatorium. Because of the ****ant little bit
of snow we get here in the Boston area, and with my lack of motivation
to rush out and clear away every little 2" snowfall we can drive over
until it melts, I don't think I've even put 200 hours on that 40 year
old Tecumsah engine yet.

It must still be in pretty good shape because by the sound of it the
RPMs don't drop much even when it chomps into a drift. I'll let sleeping
dogs lie.

But I did finally wear out the 8hp vertical on my 1960ish Snapper riding
mover a few years ago. I'm running that for about an hour and a half
once a week throughout the grass growing months here so it gets a lot
more hours per year than the snow blower does. I sprang for a brandy new
engine which will probably last as long as I do.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As I aged I camee to realize that fornication is the most overated
activity man engages in - and defecation is the most underated one." -
Mark Twain (?)

TheMan January 6th 05 03:21 AM

I live on one of the busiest street in our city, during the fun snow filled
months of Wisconsin the city plow come by often enough to keep the end of my
driveway filled with snow, that rapidly turns to slush. Anyone that's had
to deal with this wet heavy snow knows that even the best 2 stage snowblower
will moan an groan and struggle to throw this stuff anywhere. I've
purchased three new snowblowers over the years hoping more powerful engines
would help, but no luck.

I consider myself lucky if half of the time the snow just pours out of the
chute enough to keep the engine running. As you can imagine after spending
a considerable amount effort and swearing at the snowplow driver every time
he makes another pass, I've concocted a number of extreme ideas that range
from targeting the snowplow/driver with various contraptions (or weaponry)
to designing an elaborate hydraulically operated metal shield that protects
the end of the driveway when the snowplow comes by and then catapults any
remaining snow across the street into my neighbors driveway (or back at the
snowplow..must most likely that cop that watches me to be certian not a
flake of snow is lands back in the street)

However rational thought usually takes over and I figured this group might
have some good ideas about how to modify my snowblower to better handle
slush. I've tried painting, polishing, waxing and even spraying non stick
coating on the inside of the chute with no great success.

Perhaps I should build a chute out of stainless steel? PVC or other plastic?
Should I try to make a different size pully for the auger/thrower assembly
(bigger/smaller/lighter?) Nitrous Oxide for the engine? Add more blades
the the wheel that "throws" the snow?

Sure in 20 years, I'll retire to Arizona, but for now I need to figure
something out before a snowplower driver ends up a statistic.... :-)

[email protected] January 6th 05 04:11 AM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 03:21:21 GMT, "TheMan" wrote:

I live on one of the busiest street in our city, during the fun snow filled
months of Wisconsin the city plow come by often enough to keep the end of my
driveway filled with snow, that rapidly turns to slush. Anyone that's had
to deal with this wet heavy snow knows that even the best 2 stage snowblower
will moan an groan and struggle to throw this stuff anywhere. I've
purchased three new snowblowers over the years hoping more powerful engines
would help, but no luck.

The best "slush pump" I ever owned was an old craftsman single stage
blower from the late sixties. It was an 8 HP 26" unit if memory serves
correctly, and it weighed a ton. It had a single speed drive and
beaters that turned so fast you could not see them.Threw the wet
sloppy stuff very well.Not vey good when the crap froze, though.

JWDoyleJr January 6th 05 04:36 AM

Anyone that's had
to deal with this wet heavy snow knows that even the best 2 stage snowblower
will moan an groan and struggle to throw this stuff anywhere. I've
purchased three new snowblowers over the years hoping more powerful engines

I assume that your machines are self-propelled, with speed set up for "normal"
snow up to the height of the auger. That means that when you charge compacted
snow, you are feeding it a lot more material than it is designed to handle.

One solution would be to change the sprockets/pulleys to give slower speed over
the ground, thus feeding it more dainty bites of snow. If you are really
ambitious, you might look at "cone" pulleys, so a quick swap of the drive belt
from one drive ratio to the other gives you a regular speed and a creeper
speed. If your "clutch" is a belt tightener, this might be pretty easy.