Ron M.

Default Where are these $30 chop saws???

Sometime recently there was a discussion of using a miter saw with an
abrasive blade to cut metal, and many suggested using a chop saw
instead (probably good advice), especially since reportedly you can get
one at Horrible Fright or Home Depot for $30 - $40.

I checked around, and I can't find one ANYWHERE for less than $130 to
$150. Am I missing something, or what? Where are all these "$40 chop
saws"????

Ron M.

wmbjk

On 28 Dec 2004 06:59:38 -0800, "Ron M."
wrote:

Sometime recently there was a discussion of using a miter saw with an
abrasive blade to cut metal, and many suggested using a chop saw
instead (probably good advice), especially since reportedly you can get
one at Horrible Fright or Home Depot for $30 - $40.

I checked around, and I can't find one ANYWHERE for less than $130 to
$150. Am I missing something, or what? Where are all these "$40 chop
saws"????

Ron M.

http://www.homier.com/default.asp?dp...tail&sku=02311
http://www.homier.com/default.asp?dp...tail&sku=02653
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...10&R=10 38310

Cheapest 14" I've seen is $40 on sale at HF IIRC. Latest store flyer,
item #44829, $50.

Wayne

Wilson Lamb

My HF store has them for $49.95. Of course you need the pack of wheels for
$20.
I have two and both work fine.

If you have occasional cuts of smallish stuff, the metal blades on circular
saws will do it.
WEAR GOGGLES and clamp the work firmly.

Wilson
wrote:

Sometime recently there was a discussion of using a miter saw with an
abrasive blade to cut metal, and many suggested using a chop saw
instead (probably good advice), especially since reportedly you can get
one at Horrible Fright or Home Depot for $30 - $40.

I checked around, and I can't find one ANYWHERE for less than $130 to
$150. Am I missing something, or what? Where are all these "$40 chop
saws"????

Ron M.

http://www.homier.com/default.asp?dp...tail&sku=02311
http://www.homier.com/default.asp?dp...tail&sku=02653

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...10&R=10 38310

Cheapest 14" I've seen is $40 on sale at HF IIRC. Latest store flyer,
item #44829, $50.

Wayne

Larry Jaques

On 28 Dec 2004 06:59:38 -0800, "Ron M."
calmly ranted:

Sometime recently there was a discussion of using a miter saw with an
abrasive blade to cut metal, and many suggested using a chop saw
instead (probably good advice), especially since reportedly you can get
one at Horrible Fright or Home Depot for $30 - $40.

I checked around, and I can't find one ANYWHERE for less than $130 to
$150. Am I missing something, or what? Where are all these "$40 chop
saws"????

www.Ebay.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked.
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Miki

I had the HF cutoff saw, bought it on sale for $60, which I think is
what it's on sale for at this very moment. It did a good job,
especially for the money. I made hundreds of cuts in steel pipe and
never changed the abrasive, and never burned out the motor
(surprisingly). Admittedly, the abrasive was getting pretty small
there. :-)

I don't think it has the sack to cut 4" solid steel as the instructions
suggest though.