daveseshop

Default Black&Red Hot Bare to case and Neurtal? Connecting my 240v welder

Hello I just cant come up with an the way to wire my welder a new
circuit my uncle started and didnt finish for a dryer. I purchased a
welder and noticed it would work on this circuit for intermittent not
full power use 50amp welder but 30 amp circuit its wired up 2 30/amp
breakers and 10/3 wire has been run
The bare wire is grounded to the case and the red and black and white
are left, this is in my basement and have been told that all grounds
and neutrals connect to the same box in the main panel and its only
listed as 60/amp I know its an old house anyway
I have read about grounding to water pipes but dont get that so that
means the 3rd round prong intended to ground gets run right to any good
earth with a long pole or pipe?
I am confused of were the recept. ground come from and goes to as I
dont want to mess with neutral if it will cause problems with rf noise
and ground loops please help
thanks
David