Anthony

Default New Service available for Posters and Lurkers of RCM - IRC chat server

I have set up a channel on my IRC server for the users (posters and
lurkers alike) of RCM. IRC is internet relay chat, a live-chat medium.
This allows instant communication between people all over the world. IRC
is one of the most popular chat mediums, having many millions of users,
hundreds of networks, and thousands of servers.

This is a private IRC server/network, ran from my server, and was set up
specifically for the users of another machining related newsgroup. It has
proven to be relatively popular there, so I thought I would extend the
offer to RCM, as it may be some interest to the users of RCM. This is a
good way to get to know your fellow posters a bit better. I do not wish
to take away from the newsgroup, but to enhance it by offering this
service.

There is no charge whatsoever for using this service, once you have
installed an IRC client software of your own choice (free, pay or
shareware). I personally have no stake and do not care which client you
choose, that decision is totally up to you.
Here is the deal: I will provide the bandwidth, the server, and server
administration free of charge, you provide your own client, yourself, and
your knowledge and wit....and we all have fun and exchange ideas.
- See the FAQ.

Feel free to stay connected as long as you wish.

Server: /server machines-cnc.net
Channel: /join #RCM
The server operates on the standard IRC port of 6667.
SSL connections are allowed.

FAQ: Please read!

Q: How do I connect?

A:
You will need an IRC client, many are available for all operating system
platforms.
mIRC is the most popular worldwide
vIRC is free and much improved in the latest version
Trillian is free and is a one-for-all client, connecting to IRC, AIM,
ICQ, MSN, and YAHOO all from one interface.
MS-Chat - a last-resort IRC chat client
The above are for windows platforms.
If you use Mozilla browser, chatzilla is free and while not fully
functional (lacking complete DCC [direct computer connection-file
trading] support) it is reported to be a good client.
For *nix users, I prefer Xchat over BitchX, or IIRS but to each thier
own.
For MAC users, there is IRCLE.

Links:

http://www.mirc.com
http://www.visualirc.net/beta.php
http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/ (Trillian, a purchased client, but a
very good one)
http://download.microsoft.com/msdown...n/MSCHAT25.EXE
http://www.ircle.com/
ftp.bitchx.org
http://www.xchat.org/
http://www.mozilla.org/

Some of these clients are shareware, some pay, some free.

Once installed, open the client, and type: /server machines-cnc.net
Once connected, type /join #RCM and you are there.

Q: My firewall reports scans coming from the IRC server on connect.
A:
The server does scan for, and deny connections to open proxies. If you
feel this is intrusive, do not use the service. This is for the
protection of the server and the users, and will not be changed.

Q: I have never used chat before, what is it like, and any hints?
A:
Please conduct yourself in an adult manner. Take into consideration the
nicknames you are talking to are real people, with real feelings,
opinions and personalities. Please respect the other people in the chat.
Please be aware that what you type can be read (interpreted) by someone
else in an entirely different manner than that which you may have written
it. Keep this important point in mind while chatting. Please be aware
that there are people from all over the planet who can connect to the
server. This brings in to play, the customs and norms of other
countries. The subjects can vary greatly from one minute to the next.
While the main topic is machining, and machines, a wide variety of other
topics will be discussed regularly, from how the day went, to what the
kids did yesterday...it's all about a community of people with similar
interests.
Relax, fall into the conversation, and have fun.

Q: Is language censored?
A:
No. The only word that is censored is one particular racist word (n****r)
and it's variations. All other language is up to you, but please see the
next Q.

Q: What about racism/discrimination?
A:
I do not and will not tolerate racism or discrimination because of age,
race, religous beliefs, ethnic background or nationality. If you come on
the server spewing racist or discriminatory remarks, you will find
yourself forcibly removed and permanently blocked from reconnecting.
Please read the MOTD (message of the day) when you connect to the server.

Q: I see a lot of abbreviations, what do they mean?
A:
Here is a short listing of the most common:
LOL: laffing out loud
ROFLMAO: rolling on the floor laffing my ass off
YMMV: your milage may vary
IMHO: in my humble opinion
FUBAR: you should know, if you work on machines, what this means
TTFN: ta-ta for now
BRB : be right back
AFK : away from the keyboard
BBIAM : be back in a minute
BBIAF : be back in a few minutes

Q: How do I make sure my nickname isn't used by someone else?
A:
You can register your nickname, type /nickserv help register when you log
on for instructions. (Instructions appear in the status/connection
window.) Or ask in channel for help. Registered nicknames allow the
administration to provide priviledges to users, such as channel operator
status and what not.

Q: Nickserv requires a valid email to complete registration, why?
A:
The email is required in order to prevent, or deter, spambots, ddos bots,
and the like from registering nicknames. Email addresses are not used for
any purpose other than registration, or in the case of an extreme need to
email all users by the administration. The server has been up since
November of 2003, I have yet to send an email to any address, I don't
foresee a real need to, since any notice can be put in the newsgroup
regarding service outages or what not. Email addresses will never be
sold/traded, or given away. The database on the server which contains the
nicknames, passwords and email addresses is encrypted.

Q: I have heard IRC is not very secure, what security measures are in
place?
A:
Your security is of a just concern, therefore I have taken considerable
steps in the configuration of the server to help ensure user security.
1) Known filetype extentions that are commonly used for viri are blocked
at the server level from transfer via DCC (direct computer connection).
If you need/want to send an *.exe file, you must do the proper thing and
ZIP it first.
2) Your host (IP) is hidden upon connect. Others (with the exception of
network administration) cannot get your specific IP unless you initiate a
DCC session with them.
3) Spam is filtered (this has not been an issue so far, and until we get
into the 100's of users category, I don't forsee it being an issue, but
the server has the ability to easily filter for spam.)
4) SSL connections are available.
5) As stated in the email question, all passwords, email addresses, and
the like are stored in an encrypted database.
6) Services (Nickserv, Memoserv, Workcell (chanserv)) are provided via
ircservices, which is a robust and well proven services package.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email