Ian Sutherland

Default Shafts between centers

Hi folks, I'm not a turner, but a friend wants me to make some shafts
for him. They have to be turned between centers as part has to be
ground later. Material is mild steel, all shafts have a large end & a
small end. Large end about 3/4", & 3"long, small end (the one to be
ground) 5/8" longest one 8", others a bit shorter.
I plan to cut the material to length & center drill both ends, but if
I use a drive dog, how do I machine where the dog is? If I start with
a longer shaft & part off the stub where the dog was I can't drill a
center exactly on center.
My idea is to cut to length, center drill, machine 5/8" diameter
(leaving 5 thou. for grinding) & machine as much as I can of the large
end, leaving about 10 thou. to go, & then removing the dog & hope that
I can get enough drive from the center to bring the part not yet
machined down to the 10 thou. too big size & finish with a light cut
to size.
Please help with a better (correct) way of doing this.

T.I.A. Ian sutherland. Oz.
Doug Goncz

Rx:

Saw cut. Chuck, face, and center drill 2 pls. Change to centers, live or
greased dead center, drive dog and drive plate. Poisonous white lead is good on
a dead center.

Drive stock and turn 3/4. Flip stock and add a copper penny or pad under dog
screw. Drive stock and turn 5/8. Done. (I think)

The thing about the centers is you can take the part in and out as many times
as you want and it always sets up in the same position reliably, unless you
catch a chip.

I tolerance everything and tolerate everyone.
I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Kimmie, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically.
I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range.
I fight terrorism by: Using less gasoline.
jim rozen

In article , Ian Sutherland
says...

Please help with a better (correct) way of doing this.

Do they still make spur centers?

Jim

please reply to:
Ahernwill

Ian Sutherland
says...

Please help with a better (correct) way of doing this.

Do they still make spur centers?

Jim

Could you drill a deep center hole and then after parting off the part

from the lathe dog you would still have a hole for your center?

Phil Kangas

Parting off between centers? Are you crazy? You _never_ part
off
between centers!
Phil

Ian Sutherland
says...

Please help with a better (correct) way of doing this.

Do they still make spur centers?

Jim

Could you drill a deep center hole and then after

parting off the part
from the lathe dog you would still have a hole for your

center?

john

Doug Goncz wrote:

Rx:

Saw cut. Chuck, face, and center drill 2 pls. Change to centers, live or
greased dead center, drive dog and drive plate. Poisonous white lead is good on
a dead center.

Drive stock and turn 3/4. Flip stock and add a copper penny or pad under dog
screw. Drive stock and turn 5/8. Done. (I think)

The thing about the centers is you can take the part in and out as many times
as you want and it always sets up in the same position reliably, unless you
catch a chip.

I tolerance everything and tolerate everyone.
I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Kimmie, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically.
I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range.
I fight terrorism by: Using less gasoline.

Thanks, now I know what to do with all those extra pennies. I'm just
about out of alluminum shims i use under the chuck jaws.

John