Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
James L. Marino

Default Turning Aluminum

OK guys,

I'm going to take the risk. Absolute stone newbie here...

Recently got access to a lathe. I need to turn some 6061-T6 aluminum
pipe from 2.4" OD down to 2.128" OD. How deep a cut can I take in a pass?
Carbide or HSS tool? Lubed or dry? Rotational speed? Feed rate?

I've practiced on a spare piece, but have had zero luck, or
instruction, on the speed/feed/depth-of-cut thing. It doesn't have to win
any beauty contests, but I sure wouldn't mind if it came out looking decent.
I'll also need to cut some plugs to fit the ID from some solid bar. That has
to come out smooth and pretty. It will have an o-ring groove, and must be
removable with ease.

The only thing I've ever cut on a lathe was some graphite, and that
stuff is so soft I could cut it with a butter knife. Wasn't a challenge. But
this aluminum is another story.

Thanks for any and all help,

James
remove the obvious from email addy