Chuck

Default Picking the right welding rod

X posted from sci.engr.joining.welding

I'm getting ready to fix my flatbed car hauler.
Several years ago a drunk lady in a mini van hit the back of my parked
trailer and ramped herself up and got stuck on it.
Damage wasn't all that bad but the left side is about 3 inches lower than
the right.
The trailer pulls straight and works fine.
The trailer's main 3x5x1/4" angle iron frame is bent (warped really) in
several places.
I'm thinking about welding a 2x4x1/4" rec. tube into the angle iron frame.
The radius of the inside of the angle is the same as the radius of the tube.
Should fit great.
I have a 225 amp AC buzz box, and in the past have burned a lot of 6013 with
it.
What kind of rod would work best.
Should I weld an inch and skip 5 inches. I don't want to overweld.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck in Phoenix

J.R. Williams

Chuck
Your idea sounds good tome. Make several cuts thru the angle in the
area of the bent sections so the old frame can easily be pulled down
to the new section to remove the warp. The old reliable 6013 rod is
fine for the job with a transformer rig. Weld the cut sections and
grind back flush.

JRW

"Chuck" wrote in message news:uxpqd.367568$a85.193385@fed1read04...
[...]

Starter Welding Set Jeff Polaski Metalworking 5 July 20th 04 05:11 PM
Four questions form novice to welding mongke Metalworking 7 January 1st 04 04:12 AM
Q: Welding Magnesium tony Metalworking 10 November 6th 03 10:31 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM