Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Don Foreman

Default Hey Jim Rozen..

After nearly finishing a microscope ringlight using 10 "regular" white
LED's last winter -- and then getting sidetracked -- I've decided to
ditch that design. I'd even made the little plastic spheres that
would aim the little "projectors" with lenses.

I'm ditching it because 1-watt Luxeons have come down in price to the
point where 4 of those with Fraen 30-degree beamwidth collimators are
under $50. I ordered parts today. Diversity of 10 is better than
diversity of 4, but I think 4 will be enough diversity to avoid bad
shadows and specular reflections, and I expect that the illumination
level will be much brighter with four 1-watt Luxeons than with 10
"regular" white LED's. That expectation is based on a couple of
experiments with Luxeons I have at hand to play with.

I couldn't resist ordering another 3 watt "burn the night" Luxeon
emitter. They make seriously neat flashlights using very cheap
reflectors found at Harbor Freight and Home Depot. Eat yer hawrt
out, Maglight 3D.

It's "shop season" again in Minnesota...