NokNokMan

Default quill disassembly griz g1008

My Grizzly g1008 needs bearings. There is a black 'nosecone' surrounding
the sleeve where the R8 tooling goes. I need to remove it, but I'm not sure
how it's assembled. The parts diagram in the manual is about useless...I've
downloaded a manual for a similar HarborFreight mill and it shows bolts
holding the nosecone on. There are three equally spaced recesses in the
lower face of the nosecone on mine, but they're just blind holes. I'm
guessing they're for a spanner, but before I build one I need to be sure
that this part indeed twists off. Anyone have a clue? (Don't direct me to
Grizzly, they've been less than helpful in the past regarding this)
TIA
Nok

Robert Swinney

Those may be spanner holes. The nosecone on my mill had similar spanner
holes. The only time I had it off to replace the R8 guide pin, I had to
make a spanner to fit.
Bob Swinney
"NokNokMan" wrote in message
et...
My Grizzly g1008 needs bearings. There is a black 'nosecone' surrounding
the sleeve where the R8 tooling goes. I need to remove it, but I'm not

sure
how it's assembled. The parts diagram in the manual is about

useless...I've
downloaded a manual for a similar HarborFreight mill and it shows bolts
holding the nosecone on. There are three equally spaced recesses in the
lower face of the nosecone on mine, but they're just blind holes. I'm
guessing they're for a spanner, but before I build one I need to be sure
that this part indeed twists off. Anyone have a clue? (Don't direct me

Grizzly, they've been less than helpful in the past regarding this)
TIA
Nok

Robert Swinney

Thanks Robert. Right-hand thread?

Yes, as I recall, it was right hand thread.

Bob Swinney

"NokNokMan" wrote in message
et...

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Those may be spanner holes. The nosecone on my mill had similar spanner
holes. The only time I had it off to replace the R8 guide pin, I had to
make a spanner to fit.
Bob Swinney
et...