GTO69RA4

Default Ahhh, beautiful lathe gloating--Atlas tips/info?

After two rather debatable lathe gloats (stripped SB9 junker and a large
oddball worn antique with loads of unrelated crap), I finally found a lovey,
useful lathe I know you guys would love to see.

Saw an ad for an Atlas lathe a few miles from here on an online classifieds
page. Guy's dad (40 years as a GE maintenace machinist) had died, and son was
more into woodworking. $200 later I end up with this:

members.aol.com/gto69ra4/Photos/atlas.jpg

It's an early '50s Atlas 10x24 with power cross, Timken headstock, 1/2 horse
motor, and a QC box. Apparently his dad must have been more into woodworking,
too, since this lathe is absolutely, 100% like new. Everything's shiny and
clean, the ways just have some faint marks to indicate where the saddle ran--no
wear I can find. It's crapped up with dried oil and grease but appears great
other than that.

Equipment included was a 3-jaw, 4-jaw, Jacobs tailstock chuck, faceplate,
steady rest, carbide triangle cutter holder/post, lantern toolpost, knurler,
parting tool, thread tool, several toolholders, lots of various bits and
cutters and boring bars, a few live and dead centers, some big milling cutters
on tapers, and the usual collection of wrenches, nuts & bolts, and junk you get
with an old machine. Also came with the original changegear gaurds (it was sold
as a gear machine but converted to QC when bought new in '52). The bench came
with it but is basically firewood.

Came with the original manuals for lathe and gearbox, plus a period Atlas
catalog. Lots of the little Atlas tooling also came in their little cardboard
boxes with instruction sheets.

Any online Atlas resources or pages I should check out? I just signed up to the
Yahoo group and have poored over the UK lathe site. I figure this must be an
$800 machine locally so I'm walking on air.

GTO(John) --still waiting for a $5 HLV-H I'm sure Wayne will be finding
soon...
Grant Erwin

Congratulations. I like to use Hoppe's No. 9 nitro cleaner (it's a gun
cleaner available at sporting goods stores) for shiny metal that's been
covered with varnish from dried-on oil. It doesn't take off paint but
works well on dried-on oil. I also have had good luck finding obscure
bits for old common machine tools on ebay, in case you're thinking of
pursuing a follower rest or something.

I'd suggest focusing your efforts on designing and fabricating a solid
lathe bench and getting this little gem back to work!

Grant Erwin

GTO69RA4 wrote:

[...]

Steve Peterson

"GTO69RA4" wrote in message
[...]

John
Is that your wall full of neatly organized and labeled bins? If so, please
come volunteer at my place for about 2 weeks. Room, board and beer included
with an allowance for gas.
Steve

jim rozen

In article , GTO69RA4 says...

[...]

What, no milling attachment??

It's junk, I'll take it off your hands for what you paid for it.

:^)

Nice machine - I always say that you know when the 'right' lathe
comes along. The others were simply teaching tools, telling you
what you *really* wanted to get.

I think if that machine had minimal tooling and some wear
on the ways, it would be worth 800.

Jim

please reply to:
GTO69RA4

John
Is that your wall full of neatly organized and labeled bins? If so, please
come volunteer at my place for about 2 weeks. Room, board and beer included
with an allowance for gas.
Steve

My father was an engineer and started that setup in the '70s. The problem is
that there are so many boxes it's quite hard to manage. I've been on a cleanup
tear for about two years now.

So, how much beer are we talking?

GTO(John)

Steve Peterson

"GTO69RA4" wrote in message
John
Is that your wall full of neatly organized and labeled bins? If so,

please
come volunteer at my place for about 2 weeks. Room, board and beer

included
with an allowance for gas.
Steve

My father was an engineer and started that setup in the '70s. The problem

is
that there are so many boxes it's quite hard to manage. I've been on a

cleanup
tear for about two years now.

So, how much beer are we talking?

GTO(John)

I would think any more than a case a day would be counterproductive.
Steve (Lord of a large mess)