Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is this end mill really worth 90 dollars?

Is this end mill really worth 90 dollars?

Is there an alternative?

So far its the only one like it I have found. Carbide, 1/4 radius, 1/8
pilot. I have bought three of them. Would have only been two, but I
destroyed one the first time I used it. CRINGE!

Sure HSS ones are cheap, but they are huge lumbering lumps by
comparison. This carbide one from Lakeshore is neat tidy, and very
precision designed.

Is there an alternative?

http://www.lakeshorecarbide.com/14radcornerrounder.aspx

The tiny leads, and small pilot are what make this mill more useful than
others.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Is this end mill really worth 90 dollars?

Is there an alternative?

So far its the only one like it I have found. Carbide, 1/4 radius,
1/8 pilot. I have bought three of them. Would have only been two,
but I destroyed one the first time I used it. CRINGE!

Sure HSS ones are cheap, but they are huge lumbering lumps by
comparison. This carbide one from Lakeshore is neat tidy, and very
precision designed.

Is there an alternative?

http://www.lakeshorecarbide.com/14radcornerrounder.aspx

The tiny leads, and small pilot are what make this mill more useful
than others.

On alternative is a tool and cutter grinder, or the fixtures that turn
a surface grinder into one. I grind concave circular arc cutters with
a round or tapered stone in a die grinder. For making safe edges the
exact radius doesn't matter. An old worn lathe with an index plate on
the spindle and a grinder on the compound could sharpen those. The
small 6-jaw lathe chuck with tapered instead of stepped jaws is meant
for tool grinding.

https://www.bison-bial.com/lathe-chu...-85?size=70743

I have a similar stepped-jaw one made in Mongolia. It's a "Set-Tru" if
chucked in a larger 4-jaw.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 9:23:31 AM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote

Is there an alternative?

So far its the only one like it I have found. Carbide, 1/4 radius, 1/8
pilot. I have bought three of them. Would have only been two, but I
destroyed one the first time I used it. CRINGE!

Try checking out AliExpress. You may have to accept a metric sized shank, but I believe you will find corner rounding carbide end mills that are close enough.

Dan