Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Thread Laps in Self Tapping Screws

Is there any standard for Thread Laps in Self Tapping Screws

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...ws-648818-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/16/2019 7:18 AM, Engr wrote: Is there any standard for Thread Laps
in Self Tapping Screws

Thread "laps"?

If you mean pitch. No not really. Those for sheet metal tend to have
large modestly course pitch threads. Others can be different. Trailer
deck screws or others intended to mount to structural steel often have
thread that looks more like a fine pitch machine thread. Drywall screws
for use with metal studs have a fine pitch because it has to hold in one
layer of sheet metal as opposed to pulling two pieces of sheet metal
together

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On 9/16/2019 7:18 AM, Engr wrote: Is there any standard for Thread
Laps in Self Tapping Screws

Thread "laps"?

If you mean pitch. No not really. Those for sheet metal tend to
have large modestly course pitch threads. Others can be different.
Trailer deck screws or others intended to mount to structural steel
often have thread that looks more like a fine pitch machine thread.
Drywall screws for use with metal studs have a fine pitch because it
has to hold in one layer of sheet metal as opposed to pulling two
pieces of sheet metal together

https://www.afi.cc/blog/screw-points-guide

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 5:36:23 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

https://www.afi.cc/blog/screw-points-guide

Very informative. Would have been worlds better with pictures.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://www.afi.cc/blog/screw-points-guide

Very informative. Would have been worlds better with pictures.

I have antenna TV, not cable, and enough dial-up and cellular Internet
access for my own mainly text reading needs but not much to spare. I
won't be offended if you find and post a reference you like better.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://www.afi.cc/blog/screw-points-guide

Very informative. Would have been worlds better with pictures.

I have antenna TV, not cable, and enough dial-up and cellular Internet
access for my own mainly text reading needs but not much to spare. I
won't be offended if you find and post a reference you like better.

'twasn't a swipe at you, just saying it would be great to combine their excellent textual descriptions with some line drawings.

Also, you can thank me for having trimmed the post to a reasonable size .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://www.afi.cc/blog/screw-points-guide

Very informative. Would have been worlds better with pictures.

I have antenna TV, not cable, and enough dial-up and cellular Internet
access for my own mainly text reading needs but not much to spare. I
won't be offended if you find and post a reference you like better.

Text OK, but the video wasn't just bad, it was misleading. The vid
showed more screw heads than points. Ridiculously lousy vid. Boo on
the hardware-ignorant secretary who made it up for them.

https://www.instockfasteners.com/TOOLS/screwpoints.ASP
Much better. A line of text description and small pic that even Dialup
Jim(tm) could download! One for each type. This is the one I used
to find the best deck screws (type 17) years ago.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

https://www.afi.cc/blog/screw-points-guide
Very informative. Would have been worlds better with pictures.

I have antenna TV, not cable, and enough dial-up and cellular Internet
access for my own mainly text reading needs but not much to spare. I
won't be offended if you find and post a reference you like better.

Text OK, but the video wasn't just bad, it was misleading. The vid
showed more screw heads than points. Ridiculously lousy vid. Boo on
the hardware-ignorant secretary who made it up for them.

https://www.instockfasteners.com/TOOLS/screwpoints.ASP
Much better. A line of text description and small pic that even Dialup
Jim(tm) could download! One for each type. This is the one I used
to find the best deck screws (type 17) years ago.

Not sure I'd agree about drive pins, called U drive, being permanent,
they're easily removed with the right tool like a small cold chisel with
a gap to go around the shank. They're often used for engine number
plates on some older British engines and get removed when the block is
decked.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.Â* The only man who is a good American is
are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.
--Theodore Roosevelt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote in message
On 06/10/2019 20:06, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 17:41:36 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Not sure I'd agree about drive pins, called U drive, being
permanent, they're easily removed with the right tool like a small
cold chisel with a gap to go around the shank. They're often used
for engine number plates on some older British engines and get
removed when the block is decked.

I collected worn and chipped diagonal cutters at work for that sort of
task. They grab round heads and broken-off stubs better than
Vise-Grips.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 16:41:19 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

"David Billington" wrote in message
On 06/10/2019 20:06, Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Not sure I'd agree about drive pins, called U drive, being
permanent, they're easily removed with the right tool like a small
cold chisel with a gap to go around the shank. They're often used
for engine number plates on some older British engines and get
removed when the block is decked.

I collected worn and chipped diagonal cutters at work for that sort of
task. They grab round heads and broken-off stubs better than
Vise-Grips.

They make really good nail pullers too. Mostly to get the head started
out of the wood. Then a good pry bar can finish with minimal damage done
to the wood. I have maybe a 7 inch pair with a slightly offset head
that works really well. Better than most of my specialized nail
pullers...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 16:41:19 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

[...]

The small angled flush-cutting "dikes" used in electronics work best
as pin pullers, but not afterwards as flush cutters. Steel damages
their knife-like edges.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 18:44:01 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

The small angled flush-cutting "dikes" used in electronics work best
as pin pullers, but not afterwards as flush cutters. Steel damages
their knife-like edges.

Yeah, those small, precession jobbers don't take much abuse. I've
pushed them a tiny bit too hard a few times. Tedious as all get out but
you can usually resharpen, fix them once or twice before giving up on
them...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 18:44:01 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

The small angled flush-cutting "dikes" used in electronics work best
as pin pullers, but not afterwards as flush cutters. Steel damages
their knife-like edges.

Yeah, those small, precession jobbers don't take much abuse. I've
pushed them a tiny bit too hard a few times. Tedious as all get out
but
you can usually resharpen, fix them once or twice before giving up
on
them...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

I reground one and decided it wasn't worth the trouble, since locally
made Xuron stamped dikes cost $4 at the time, and worked as well as
the forged ones.

The ones Production turned in for replacement had either opened at the
tips and could be shortened, or been used to cut steel and nicked,
usually close to the hinge for leverage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 09:16:45 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
I reground one and decided it wasn't worth the trouble, since locally
made Xuron stamped dikes cost $4 at the time, and worked as well as
the forged ones.

The ones Production turned in for replacement had either opened at the
tips and could be shortened, or been used to cut steel and nicked,
usually close to the hinge for leverage.

Last ones (4.5 inch?) I bought were Diamalloy for around $15 each. They
were pretty decent stuff back then (~20 yrs). You could actually cut a
thin piece of paper all the way across their cutting edge. Most of the
crap you get from a big-box either won't cut paper or will leave a gap
in the cut.

I was able to successfully bend the tips back together slightly once. I
had that pair in my field tools. They worked for slitting hard-line coax
shield by nibbling but you run the risk of damaging the tips by
spreading...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI