DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   40 mm hole saw in a drill press for cutting aluminum? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/637698-40-mm-hole-saw-drill-press-cutting-aluminum.html)

John Doe[_4_] July 16th 19 03:59 AM

40 mm hole saw in a drill press for cutting aluminum?

I have one regular and one heavy-duty "flying parts" or whatever
they are called hole cutters. The heavy duty is too big to cut a 40
mm hole. The small one probably won't cut 1/4"+ thick 6061 aluminum.
I'd rather try something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3H6VU16E&psc=1

Can you tell what sort of shank it has? I doubt square will work.
Round might work. I would prefer hex.

Any suggestions for a 40 mm aluminum hole saw, to be stuck in a
drill press?

Thanks.

Gunner Asch[_6_] July 16th 19 05:46 AM

40 mm hole saw in a drill press for cutting aluminum?

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 02:59:27 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

I have one regular and one heavy-duty "flying parts" or whatever
they are called hole cutters. The heavy duty is too big to cut a 40
mm hole. The small one probably won't cut 1/4"+ thick 6061 aluminum.
I'd rather try something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3H6VU16E&psc=1

Can you tell what sort of shank it has? I doubt square will work.
Round might work. I would prefer hex.

Any suggestions for a 40 mm aluminum hole saw, to be stuck in a
drill press?

Thanks.

I have a couple sets of these. What you are looking for is an Annular
Cutter:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/66162819

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/de...12135?fromRR=Y

Dont bother trying to use these with a hand drill. A mill or good
solid drill press. Not! a Harbor Freight caca one either.

Ive used these to punch a hole in 1.5" 4130 plate in just a couple
minutes.

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

David Billington[_2_] July 18th 19 01:08 AM

wrote:

[...]

While I love annular cutters for use in the lathe and BP the 3/4" shank
may be a problem for the OPs requirements so a simple hole saw such as a
Starrett bi-metalÂ* hole saw would be more than adequate. Such as
https://www.amazon.com/HSS-BI-METAL-.../dp/B01DO4WNA8 .

John Doe[_4_] July 18th 19 03:00 AM

David Billington wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
John Doe wrote:

[...]

Starrett bi-metal hole saw would be more than adequate. Such as
https://www.amazon.com/HSS-BI-METAL-.../dp/B01DO4WNA8 .

Thanks. I thought carbide-tipped would be necessary, but then
figured bi-metal would work. I looked at Starrett and Morse. I
ordered two like your suggestion. One Lenox with integrated arbor,
and the other a Dewalt 7/16 inch shank arbor plus a Morse saw. Local
stores don't carry 1-9/16" diameter saws but no matter, already
delivered.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] July 18th 19 04:04 AM

"David Billington" wrote in message
On 16/07/2019 05:46, Gunner Asch wrote:

While I love annular cutters for use in the lathe and BP the 3/4"
shank may be a problem for the OPs requirements so a simple hole saw
such as a Starrett bi-metal hole saw would be more than adequate.
Such as
https://www.amazon.com/HSS-BI-METAL-.../dp/B01DO4WNA8 .

Hand-held hole saws up to 4" worked well enough for me when I was
installing conduit into steel control boxes. Use a slow drill, like
500 RPM.

Terry Coombs[_2_] July 18th 19 04:40 AM

On 7/17/2019 10:04 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"David Billington" wrote in message
On 16/07/2019 05:46, Gunner Asch wrote:
While I love annular cutters for use in the lathe and BP the 3/4"
shank may be a problem for the OPs requirements so a simple hole saw
such as a Starrett bi-metal hole saw would be more than adequate.
Such as
https://www.amazon.com/HSS-BI-METAL-.../dp/B01DO4WNA8 .

Hand-held hole saws up to 4" worked well enough for me when I was
installing conduit into steel control boxes. Use a slow drill, like
500 RPM.

Â* My wrists won't take it any more ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Jim Wilkins[_2_] July 18th 19 12:11 PM

.

Hand-held hole saws up to 4" worked well enough for me when I was
installing conduit into steel control boxes. Use a slow drill, like
500 RPM.

My wrists won't take it any more ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

IIRC the magnetic-base drill wouldn't hold reliably on vertical
painted sheet metal and the hydraulic Greenlee hole punch was even
more heavy and awkward than the D-handled Milwaukee drill and hole
saw.

That was one of the difficult manual metalworking tasks that prompted
me to buy a milling machine.

RangersSuck July 18th 19 06:06 PM

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 7:10:25 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Milling machine to make holes in wall-mounted electrical boxes? I'd love to see that setup.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] July 18th 19 11:09 PM

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
[...]

I progressed to building more sophisticated equipment for less hostile
workplaces; no more wash-downs or oil spray.
https://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/bc893...8d640f9f0d.pdf

Since these electronic enclosures didn't need to be liquid tight I
could make control panels flat and small enough to mill.

I still cut large round holes for fans, and for analog panel meters
when I need their fast response more than accuracy, like on the input
to an MPPT solar controller.

RangersSuck July 18th 19 11:20 PM

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 6:08:04 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

"Liquid tight stainless control boxes for washdowns" used to be my middle name when I had a ton of work at pharmaceutical plants. Then, "oil tight" became a big issue on machines that drilled & tapped big holes in cast iron - the boxes I was replacing would fill with oil and iron "filings" that were abrasive enough that they'd wear the insulation off the 50-year-old wiring..

Still, I never had a problem with the hydraulic punches, even for 4-inch conduit (though I'd get someone to help with those).

That MPPT stuff is pretty cool, and area in which I've yet to tread.

John Doe[_4_] August 8th 19 06:01 PM

40 mm hole saw in a drill press for cutting aluminum?

Of course I practiced using a hole saw by drilling through wood. The
plug (the cut out part) gets stuck in the hole saw. I might cut through
1/8" thick aluminum for practice, too.

Will 3/8" thick aluminum get stuck in the hole saw?

Also, for cutting fluid, I have these choices... WD-40, silicon spray,
Teflon spray, and the combination of silicon and Teflon, and 3-1 sewing
machine oil. Or I could go pick up some cutting fluid from Home Depot if
it helps for my 2 cut task.

Gunner Asch[_6_] August 8th 19 10:48 PM

40 mm hole saw in a drill press for cutting aluminum?

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 17:01:46 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Of course I practiced using a hole saw by drilling through wood. The
plug (the cut out part) gets stuck in the hole saw. I might cut through
1/8" thick aluminum for practice, too.

Will 3/8" thick aluminum get stuck in the hole saw?

Also, for cutting fluid, I have these choices... WD-40, silicon spray,
Teflon spray, and the combination of silicon and Teflon, and 3-1 sewing
machine oil. Or I could go pick up some cutting fluid from Home Depot if
it helps for my 2 cut task.

WD-40 is vegitable oil in Kerosene (stoddard solvent)

It "works" for use with a hole saw. But then..so does just about
anything wet.

__

whit3rd August 9th 19 05:26 AM

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 7:59:29 PM UTC-7, John Doe wrote:
I have one regular and one heavy-duty "flying parts" or whatever
they are called hole cutters. The heavy duty is too big to cut a 40
mm hole. The small one probably won't cut 1/4"+ thick 6061 aluminum.

If the hole saw cuts, it will cut a quarter inch just fine.
But, a hole saw in a drill press (vertical downward press)
doesn't clear chips from the cut, you have to back out and apply
suction, or a brush, or otherwise get the junk out of the
kerf. Hole saws work better with horizontal boring, or an active
flood of coolant, or lots of back-off-and-clear-waste.