Old April 24th 19, 01:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Easiest/cheapest way/tool to bend small steel flat bar?

David Billington wrote:

John Doe wrote:

How about four thick square bars, maybe 0.5" x 1" x 6" each (the
two crosswise bars can be short), some superglue, and maybe four
screws (although superglue is great against shearing pressure).

Just arrange the bars in a pound sign, a tic-tac-toe box. Glue
and then maybe screw them together. One of the bars to be bent
can be used as the divide for gluing the crosswise bars that
holds the two main bars together and keeps the bend straight.

If that has been done before (seems like it should have), please
post links. I vaguely recall trying something similar.

To me you seem to be over thinking this project but that may
indicate lack of experience with the type of job you're asking
about on your part. Do you not have a bench vice? For me the job
you asked about seemed a trivial job with a bench vice, metal
block, and suitable hammer. You can hammer directly on the steel
strip you want to bend when clamped in a vice but the steel block
helps spread the load and produce a neater bend.

Did you understand what I wrote? The method described in my post is
simple, easy, and should be more accurate than beating on the flat
bar. I believe it would be even more accurate than using a vise brake.

Did you like the part about the structure serving two purposes?
Holding the crosswise pieces together and keeping the bend straight,
at the same time?

I'm currently looking for materials. Specifically looking at thick
flat bar. Sometimes you can find ready-made stuff that nicely fits the
bill. There might be something that will work but is meant for a
different task, but finding stuff like that is like finding a needle
in a haystack. The selection of premade things is infinite, especially
nowadays given the Internet.

No, I have no vices. I do have a very small vise. But like I already
said "I agree 100% with the need for a [big] vise". My friendly next-
door neighbor had one, that and lots of other stuff in his shop I was
free to use. But he's gone. I would happily buy a decent vise if it
fit my need for this endeavor. What matters to me is getting it done
right, that's all.

Old April 24th 19, 01:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 22:04:47 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

On 22/04/2019 21:23, John Doe wrote:
I would like to neatly bend some 7/8 inch wide 1/8 inch thick steel
flat bar.

The bend point need not be a precise location, the ends can be cut
to suit. The bend needs to be well aligned. The bend is 45? and
reasonably accurate, reasonably small as possible radius. Of course
strength is important.

Best or cheapest way to put a small radius bend in 7/8 inch wide 1/8
inch thick steel flat bar? I would rather not by a tool, but
whatever.

Will this or anything cheaper do...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

The truly funny part for this troll is that the image he gave is
clearly a Chinese import.

I will look for something smaller. Don't need to bend 4 inch wide
1/4 inch thick steel.

It would help to know what equipment you have and what you consider as a
small radius and the quantity required. For me I would assume you have a
bench vice and that would be a first choice if you have nothing better,
I do. Maybe fit some aluminium angle to clamp the material to act as
soft jaws and then place a steel block against the strip and hammer with
a suitable hammer such as maybe a 2lbs lump hammer, should be an easy job.

I damaged more stuff as a kid trying that hammer/vise route.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Old April 24th 19, 01:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 2:54:09 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
Coincidentally, I found a $50 bill in a parking lot near a Harbor Freight.
I would never even consider entering one of their stores.

That is really a funny attitude ! Can you say why you will not consider entering a Harbor Freight store?

My own attitude is to buy things made in Yorklyn, DE. If not made in Delaware then buy things that are made on Earth.

Dan
Old April 24th 19, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well this reaction was both as predictable and entertaining as an
overweight catfight on the Jerry Springer show.

The answer to the original question, for the 3rd or 4th time: vise &
hammer.

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 00:33:12 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Apparently this troll has a deranged sense of humor. I wasn't
promoting anything. In fact, the image I linked to had no such marks
on it whatsoever, and there was no link to buying the product. This
troll is full of ****. Also, I did not say I would bend over
backwards to avoid buying Chinese products. But I would never
promote Harbor Freight. I have never even been in their stinking
store. I would not so blatantly trash my fellow citizens. Some
scumbags could not care less about their own...

--
Ned Simmons
Old April 24th 19, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 2:54:09 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
Coincidentally, I found a $50 bill in a parking lot near a Harbor
Freight.
I would never even consider entering one of their stores.

That is really a funny attitude ! Can you say why you will not
consider entering a Harbor Freight store?

My own attitude is to buy things made in Yorklyn, DE. If not made
in Delaware then buy things that are made on Earth.

Dan

I try to buy US-made products, which more and more means buying NOS
parts for things made here long ago. A few days ago I had the motor of
my 1960's Maytag washer apart to work on the starting switch. Before
that I made some parts on the lathe for a Sears garden tractor.

Old April 24th 19, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/23/2019 7:17 PM, John Doe wrote:
David Billington wrote:

John Doe wrote:
[...]

* Then quit ****in' around posting ad nauseum and pay a metal fab shop
to do the job . Aren't you the same prick (under a different nym) that
shot down every single suggestion on a different project recently ?
You're sure runnin' the same pattern .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old April 24th 19, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

* Didn't your dad have an O/A torch ? Between Dad's tools and his guns
it's a wonder my two brothers and I made it to adulthood . Not unscathed
, but we all made it .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old April 24th 19, 03:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/23/2019 9:26 PM, John Doe wrote:
This helpless poster needs somebody told its hand,
to help it find the Ignore Thread key...

* Yup , same prick .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old April 24th 19, 05:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/23/2019 11:25 PM, John Doe wrote:
This control freak needs to find the Ignore Thread key,
before its fragile little world falls apart...

Go ahead and deflect , snowflake . The jig is up , you've been outed .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old April 24th 19, 12:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/24/2019 6:25 AM, John Doe wrote:
Instead of trolling and acting like a dick (for lack thereof),
why not talk about metalworking...

How about four thick square bars, maybe 0.5" x 1" x 6" each (the two
crosswise bars can be short), some superglue, and maybe four screws
(although superglue is great against shearing pressure).

Just arrange the bars in a pound sign, a tic-tac-toe box. Glue and
then maybe screw them together. One of the bars to be bent can be
used as the divide for gluing the crosswise bars that holds the two
main bars together and keeps the bend straight.

If that has been done before (seems like it should have), please
post links. I vaguely recall trying something similar.

* Mine was like the first response to your post , I suggested an
improvised bending fixture using a vise . What I suggested is an
improvisation of a blacksmith's bending fixture . You ignored my
suggestion ... and you've shot down every other suggestion offered ,
plus painting anyone who buys from Harbor freight as a treasonous scum .
It seems to me that YOU are the troll . You may have noticed that almost
all my posts ARE about metalworking ... though I doubt you read them . I
have shop full of tools of all kinds , you apparently have only a
keyboard . Good luck with using that as a metal brake .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old