Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tools to rebuild civilization

Hey Ed, this shows a Heavy 10 lathe like yours and mine on a WW2 Navy
harbor repair ship.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/57941...-h/57941-h.htm

Clearing and restoring a sabotaged port facility is an extreme example
of disaster relief, and the ship's equipment list suggests that common
shop machinery is enough for their part of the effort.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 8:08:57 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Hey Ed, this shows a Heavy 10 lathe like yours and mine on a WW2 Navy
harbor repair ship.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/57941...-h/57941-h.htm

Clearing and restoring a sabotaged port facility is an extreme example
of disaster relief, and the ship's equipment list suggests that common
shop machinery is enough for their part of the effort.

Yup, that's the same model lathe I have. Mine was built in 1945 -- it has a "War Board" plate on it, and the base has an extra door on the left side, for the DC motor. It's a shipboard model that had both AC and DC motors.

Mine was never used. You can still see the bedway flaking near the headstock. My uncle was a SeaBee, and they got dibs on those machines when they were surplussed out.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, September 22, 2018 at 12:50:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I should have pointed out that it's Figure 24, for those not familiar with SB lathes.

--
Ed Huntress