DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   determining the load on a corner "post" (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/617997-determining-load-corner-post.html)

pyotr filipivich September 2nd 18 09:35 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

I may have asked this before, but I have A Project in mind. This
is much simpler than the last time, when I wanted to build 4 humanoid
robots to pick up a shipping container at the corners and move it.
"Hup, hup, hup, ... detail halt!"

What I want to do this time is to just "slide an I-beam under the
outbuilding, attach a wheeled unit to each end, pivot the building and
roll it to when I want it." No doubt "A simple procedure involving
lasers." I'm sure. Somewhere.

But, my question is: load capacity of the units. Assume a GW of 3
tons, does that meant that each wheeled unit has to be able to 'carry'
a three ton load, or can I divide the gross weight by 4, add a "fudge
factor" and hope for the best?

This is one of those things I'd talk to one of the old guys, but I
find I am one of the old guys.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"What was I, before I was what I am, and will I be when I'm not?

[email protected] September 2nd 18 10:55 PM

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 4:35:09 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

Please let every one have a better description of what you want to accomplish.

You confuse me when you say slip a i beam under the stucture and later ask about dividing the load by 4. Do you mean two i beams?

Dan

Carl September 2nd 18 11:03 PM

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

[...]

I think you need to have Iggy pay you a visit with his latest giant forklift
toy :-). Hmm, 3 tons is 6000 lbs which is a really common rating for car
hauling trailers with two 3000 lb axles. Any chance you could scrounge a
couple of those axles and extend as needed to stick out past the sides of
your container? Don't know what safety factor they build into those but
since I assume you are just crawling around the yard a bit and not going on
a road at any speed you could probably get away with a 5000 lb rating for 2
axles. Or get a whole 16 or 18' trailer and use a bunch of pipes as rollers
and just winch your container on and off the trailer to move it :-).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Gunner Asch[_6_] September 2nd 18 11:03 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 13:35:26 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

What are the dimensions of the building, is it empty or full, what is
the floor construction and how far do you need to move it in a lineal
direction?

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---

Jim Wilkins[_2_] September 3rd 18 02:06 AM

[...]

You need to be clearer about the "wheeled unit".

Your one I-beam and four wheels only makes sense to me if you rig it
like a tandem axle trailer. If the two(?) wheels on a side are on a
pivoting bar that lets them adjust to uneven ground then they share
the load, if their axles are rigidly attached to the I-beam then they
don't.

pyotr filipivich September 3rd 18 02:43 AM

determining the load on a corner "post"

" on Sun, 2 Sep 2018 14:55:20 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
[...]

Yeah. "front" and "back", with a support at each end.

Thinking I'll change it to bungie cords.
--
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich September 3rd 18 02:43 AM

determining the load on a corner "post"

"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 2 Sep 2018 21:06:01 -0400
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Can you guys not answer the question I didn't ask? Grumble,
grumble; kids these days. Just like when I was a boy.
Reevaluating, I'm going to be working with nanobots which will
interlace sort of like legos or ants. So what I want to know, if each
nanobot can lift a gram, do I need the swarm at one corner to be able
to hoist 3,000,000 grams, or can they just lift a quarter of that? I
don't want to have to turn out more than I need is why I'm asking.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich September 3rd 18 02:43 AM

determining the load on a corner "post"

Gunner Asch on Sun, 02 Sep 2018 15:03:32 -0700
wrote:

[...]

One is 10'x16'by16' high, "framed" floor with 9/8 T&G flooring
glued & nailed. It's rotating 90° and moving ~20 feet more or less.
The other is 10'x12'by10' high. Also going to be rotated, but
moved about 30 feet.
The Big One is 26 by 32 and two stories. It is jut going to get
rotated. But I might add a basement while I have it off the piers.

Once the preliminaries are done, then Ill be scaling down to move
my footlockers around. (I had this idea for a camp setup, using a
20' shipping container as a base, and outfitting the Clanks with
appropriate livery, depending on if I'm reenacting medieval or
Steampunk. But that's a digression.)

What I'd really like to know is: how do I calculate the load
bearing capacity needed by the robot which is going to pick up the
corner.
--
pyotr filipivich

William Bagwell September 3rd 18 02:51 AM

wrote:

I may have asked this before, but I have A Project in mind. This
is much simpler than the last time, when I wanted to build 4 humanoid
robots to pick up a shipping container at the corners and move it.
"Hup, hup, hup, ... detail halt!"

What I want to do this time is to just "slide an I-beam under the
outbuilding, attach a wheeled unit to each end, pivot the building and
roll it to when I want it." No doubt "A simple procedure involving
lasers." I'm sure. Somewhere.

But, my question is: load capacity of the units. Assume a GW of 3
tons, does that meant that each wheeled unit has to be able to 'carry'
a three ton load, or can I divide the gross weight by 4, add a "fudge
factor" and hope for the best?

This is one of those things I'd talk to one of the old guys, but I
find I am one of the old guys.

This guy did it with pivots and small stones as bearings. Even moved
a 30'X40' pole barn 300 feet. Can not find any of his original
videos up at the moment, just re-postings such as this link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5pZ7uR6v8c

Bought his CD about 12 years ago, which I have since lost:-( Still
have a copy of it on my hard drive;-)
--
William

John B. Slocomb[_5_] September 3rd 18 03:12 AM

determining the load on a corner "post"

On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 18:43:38 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 2 Sep 2018 21:06:01 -0400
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

If your nonobots can be sure that the lift keeps the object perfectly
level, and the CG of the object is exactly in the center, vertically,
then each corner will require 1/4 of the total weight to be lifted.

Gunner Asch[_6_] September 3rd 18 08:21 AM

wrote:

[...]

Are they on concrete or on dirt?

Slab or blocks?

The "easy" way to move them..the smaller two..would be to wrap a
chain around the bases...flood the ground under each one to get it
slick and muddy..and using a dozer ..pull the chain. To rotate..hook a
chain AROUND the base and pull that chain..pulling the building
around. pull from the right to spin clockwise, from the left to spin
counter clockwise. Figure on the 10x16 at 10,000 lbs..empty. Dont try
to move any of them with contents. Alternately...you could..could
bury a vertical.. 4" thick wall pipe about 4-6' deep..and hook a chain
comealong to the wrapping chain..and hook at ground level to apply
motive power.

The other way..would be to rent a large forklift and simply pick the
two of them up, one at a time..and move them to their new spots. The
BIG one...will likely need to be cut in half,seperated and spun.
Moving a linear 24x36...is not..not..not going to be easy. Trying to
move it as a whole with your limited resources..will likely break it
in half. The best way of course..is to a have a house mover come in
and do the job. No idea what they would charge..it would be a pretty
simple job for them..assuming they have some working room.

The two small ones as noted..you could do yourself. And depending on
your construction..be pretty easy to do. The big one..by yourself..is
a mother ****er.

If I were you...Id call a house mover and have them come give you a
price. They are insured. You are not. If they bust em..they cover it.
If you bust em..you are ****ed.

And of course..they have to be empty.

Gunner

__

Gunner Asch[_6_] September 3rd 18 08:24 AM

wrote:

[...]

Lifting one corner...of a structure that is not constructed for
this..means you are transferring a load through the floor joists,
flooring, studs and up through your roof line. IE: **** is gonna
break and come un****ed. Best to leave it flat and slide it as a whole
rather than loading a radiating point.

Call a house mover.

Gunner
__

Gunner Asch[_6_] September 3rd 18 08:26 AM

determining the load on a corner "post"

wrote:

[...]

A pole barn...is lightly constructed and is able to take point
is moderately easy. The big one...2 stories tall..is not so easy.

__

Jim Wilkins[_2_] September 3rd 18 01:19 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 2 Sep 2018
21:06:01 -0400
[...]

The answer depends on how well you can make the nanobots cooperate to
share the load, just like the wheels. It's not just a simple matter of
all lifting on the count of 3, they may have to dampen oscillation.

Your 2-story building is an inverted pendulum
http://web.mit.edu/klund/www/papers/UNP_pendulum.pdf
that is inherently unstable if elastically supported below its center
of gravity. If it tips the cg shifts toward the low side and the
bearers' load increases. The nanobots need a reserve of strength to
counter the static increase and dynamic inertia, but if they lift too
hard it will tip the other way. Planes have crashed and ships have
capsized due to this positive feedback oscillation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milburn_G._Apt

Segways require solid-state gyros, feedback and considerable
processing power to remain balanced. They are a 2 element (wheel)
example of your proposed nanobot problem. The quadcopter is a better
model for lifting a building. I've only had a brief introduction to
the math of over-, under- and critical damping and the oscillations of
spring-coupled masses, and none for servo loops.

The questions the customer didn't know enough to ask tend to be the
hardest to solve, and the reasons there wasn't a simple solution
already.
-jsw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] September 3rd 18 02:24 PM

wrote:

[...]

If you pick up one corner of a uniform thickness rectangular plate
half the weight will rest on that corner, the other half on the
opposite one.

A stationary plate can be modeled as a single point mass at the center
of gravity with levers reaching out to the corners.
http://web.mit.edu/4.441/1_lectures/..._lecture5.html

pyotr filipivich September 3rd 18 05:53 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

"Jim Wilkins" on Mon, 3 Sep 2018 09:24:28 -0400
wrote:

[...]

Thank you.

--
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich September 3rd 18 05:53 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

Gunner Asch on Mon, 03 Sep 2018 00:21:21 -0700

wrote:

[...]

Unobtanium. You would not believe what I had to do getting the
permits.

Slab or blocks?

Nanofactory fabricated plate. Manufactured with eyes for
hoisting.

Which is why I just want to know how one calculates the load on
the bottle jack at the corner.

--
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich September 3rd 18 05:53 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

John B. Slocomb on Mon, 03 Sep 2018 09:12:11
+0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

[...]

Thanks

--
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich September 3rd 18 05:53 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

Gunner Asch on Mon, 03 Sep 2018 00:24:37 -0700
wrote:

[...]

There will be four swarms, with a central coordinator. the issue
is: do I need four swarms, each capable of handling the total gross
weight, or can they "share the load", so to speak, and so require less
per swarm?
--
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich September 3rd 18 05:53 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

Gunner Asch on Mon, 03 Sep 2018 00:26:39 -0700

wrote:

[...]

There are three factors in engineering: cost, complexity and
chronology. You can control for two.
As I told Petros last spring "It's just engineering" is another
way of saying "it is only money."

--
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich September 3rd 18 05:53 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

Jim Wilkins" on Mon, 3 Sep 2018 08:19:32 -0400
[...]

Over thinking, again. Coordinating the movements is handled by
Calvin & Hobbes Consolidated. I think they have the late model sonic
transducers for that.
But the load on the bot swarm, that I have to consider.
--
pyotr filipivich

Jim Wilkins[_2_] September 3rd 18 07:39 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
Gunner Asch on Mon, 03 Sep 2018
00:24:37 -0700
On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 18:43:38 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 2 Sep 2018
21:06:01 -0400
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
m...

[...]

"With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels
alone."

Lifting one corner...of a structure that is not constructed for
this..means you are transferring a load through the floor joists,
flooring, studs and up through your roof line. IE: **** is gonna
break and come un****ed. Best to leave it flat and slide it as a
whole
rather than loading a radiating point.

There will be four swarms, with a central coordinator. the issue
is: do I need four swarms, each capable of handling the total gross
weight, or can they "share the load", so to speak, and so require
less
per swarm?
--
pyotr filipivich

That's a more coherent definition of the problem. 1/2 of the total per
swarm allows for malfunctions, like the other three losing signal and
dropping their corners.

I've moved several neighborhood structures by jacking them up enough
to drive a construction equipment trailer underneath or lifting and
swinging them with chain hoists or my shop crane, so I'm not just idly
guessing how to do it. I have 1 ton tension and 5 ton compression load
cells to actually weigh the building so I don't overstress my
equipment.

Besides the jacks you might consider rounding up timbers for cribbing,
to assemble into supports that won't tip easily like jacks. I have a
stack of the cut-off ends of deck beams and posts from a contractor's
scrap pile. When I take the wheels off a vehicle to work on it they go
under the frame to back up the jacks and stands.

The next lifting project is a neighbor's tool shed whose sills are
Above Ground pressure-treated that have rotted, despite being up on a
concrete block foundation.. For once I'm well equipped with 6" x 12" x
12' oak beams I sawed from trees that had been leaning over the house.
-jsw

Larry Jaques[_4_] September 4th 18 06:08 AM

wrote:

I may have asked this before, but I have A Project in mind. This
is much simpler than the last time, when I wanted to build 4 humanoid
robots to pick up a shipping container at the corners and move it.
"Hup, hup, hup, ... detail halt!"

What I want to do this time is to just "slide an I-beam under the
outbuilding, attach a wheeled unit to each end, pivot the building and
roll it to when I want it." No doubt "A simple procedure involving
lasers." I'm sure. Somewhere.

But, my question is: load capacity of the units. Assume a GW of 3
tons, does that meant that each wheeled unit has to be able to 'carry'
a three ton load, or can I divide the gross weight by 4, add a "fudge
factor" and hope for the best?

This is one of those things I'd talk to one of the old guys, but I
find I am one of the old guys.

Of course, some numb nut will overload a corner or end (unless you're
the owner) VBG

Check these out. I'm sure you'll come up with something interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgWYesO-FkA Axles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzG_DzCeBt0 Mule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrUw9-m_pSA Power dolly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KecvLYEL10g Another dolly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Do8ygIlfA Airplane tug
Last, a Pods setup at 1:34:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9upzzIgm_c
That's the closest to the container trucks at the Port.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYNBTnOJzj0 small version of this

Let us know what you come up with, Pete.

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French

Larry Jaques[_4_] September 4th 18 03:32 PM

wrote:

[...]

Is it sturdy enough to allow that manhandling? Have you weighed it?
Also, how high do you need to lift any of these buildings? What's the
soil like where you want a basement? I'm guessing you want beams to
remove the robots from the vicinity of the excavation so you won't
have to worry about cave-ins. Das some ambitious chit, mon.

Once the preliminaries are done, then Ill be scaling down to move
my footlockers around. (I had this idea for a camp setup, using a
20' shipping container as a base, and outfitting the Clanks with
appropriate livery, depending on if I'm reenacting medieval or
Steampunk. But that's a digression.)

Clanks? Which def?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Clank

What I'd really like to know is: how do I calculate the load
bearing capacity needed by the robot which is going to pick up the
corner.

Why calculate when you could overengineer the things so they could
heft the large buildings onto a single corner with one hand? Compete
with Optimus Prime. (He'd have the calcs handy, but go with 25T.)

Going out on a limb, I'm guessing you can rule out pneumatics here.

Larry Jaques[_4_] September 4th 18 03:42 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

On Mon, 03 Sep 2018 09:53:02 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Mon, 03 Sep 2018 00:21:21 -0700
Are they on concrete or on dirt?

Unobtanium. You would not believe what I had to do getting the
permits.

Cool. Then you have some for the bots, too.

Slab or blocks?

Nanofactory fabricated plate. Manufactured with eyes for
hoisting.

May I borrow that? Pretty please?

Which is why I just want to know how one calculates the load on
the bottle jack at the corner.

The house-moving companies probably have charts for guesstimating
that. Then again, the local building supply company might be able to
give you estimates of weight for all the supplies which make a
building. They deliver them daily. You'd be surprised how heavy
roofing is, likely outweighing the frame.

Larry Jaques[_4_] September 4th 18 04:00 PM

wrote:

Jim Wilkins" on Mon, 3 Sep 2018 08:19:32 -0400

The questions the customer didn't know enough to ask tend to be the
hardest to solve, and the reasons there wasn't a simple solution
already.
-jsw

Over thinking, again. Coordinating the movements is handled by
Calvin & Hobbes Consolidated. I think they have the late model sonic
transducers for that.
But the load on the bot swarm, that I have to consider.

Hell, if you have C&HC there, just use their discombobulators to exit
it stage left, then the recombobulators to resolidify at the new site.
No calcs necessary.

pyotr filipivich September 4th 18 05:16 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

Larry Jaques on Tue, 04 Sep 2018
07:42:19 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Mon, 03 Sep 2018 00:21:21 -0700
Are they on concrete or on dirt?

Unobtanium. You would not believe what I had to do getting the
permits.

Cool. Then you have some for the bots, too.

Slab or blocks?

Nanofactory fabricated plate. Manufactured with eyes for
hoisting.

May I borrow that? Pretty please?

Which is why I just want to know how one calculates the load on
the bottle jack at the corner.

The house-moving companies probably have charts for guesstimating
that. Then again, the local building supply company might be able to
give you estimates of weight for all the supplies which make a
building. They deliver them daily. You'd be surprised how heavy
roofing is, likely outweighing the frame.

Do I call up building moving companies when I want to know how
strong a post needs to be, to hold the corner of a footlocker up?
Do their tables include a Barbie Dream house?
--
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich September 4th 18 05:16 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

Larry Jaques on Tue, 04 Sep 2018
07:32:04 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

[...]

"... clanks (impossibly advanced steampunk robots), dirigibles and
walking gunboats of the world there are constructs – biological
creations which range from Frankenstein-style creatures to talking
cats and mouse-sized mammoths."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Genius

What I'd really like to know is: how do I calculate the load
bearing capacity needed by the robot which is going to pick up the
corner.

Why calculate when you could overengineer the things so they could
heft the large buildings onto a single corner with one hand? Compete
with Optimus Prime. (He'd have the calcs handy, but go with 25T.)

Going out on a limb, I'm guessing you can rule out pneumatics here.

Changing approaches, decided I can't just roll any of this over
the Missus's Daisys, so I want to use a couple Rocs. Maybe some
griffins. Now I all need to know what the tension on the straps to the
harness will be.

And where I can lay my hands on a couple environmentally friendly
and sustainably sourced elephant carcases, but that's getting off
track.
--
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich September 4th 18 05:16 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

Larry Jaques on Tue, 04 Sep 2018
08:00:02 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

Jim Wilkins" on Mon, 3 Sep 2018 08:19:32 -0400

The questions the customer didn't know enough to ask tend to be the
hardest to solve, and the reasons there wasn't a simple solution
already.
-jsw

Over thinking, again. Coordinating the movements is handled by
Calvin & Hobbes Consolidated. I think they have the late model sonic
transducers for that.
But the load on the bot swarm, that I have to consider.

Hell, if you have C&HC there, just use their discombobulators to exit
it stage left, then the recombobulators to resolidify at the new site.
No calcs necessary.

But where's the fun in that?

Besides, this is rec.crafts.metalworking, not
rec.crafts.discombobulators __o-o-o-r_ rec.crafts.transmorgifyers.
(I'm partial to Transmorgifyers, myself.)
--
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich September 4th 18 05:16 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

Larry Jaques on Mon, 03 Sep 2018
22:08:43 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:

[...]

I can draw the parts I doodled most of this out in meetings
("I-beam, end goes into socket in Lifting Unit, bolts both together.
Lifting Unit raises I-beam up by [bottle jack | screw jack | cam |
"other"] powered by [electric | steam | pneumatics | Hydraulics |
magic]. Ground contact can be via large wheels, fat wheels,
caterpillar tread, "feet". Each has advantages /drawbacks. Each beam
has one Lifting Unit at each end, so: Four beams, and four Lifting
Units (pat pending).
Rotate shed, move to new location, lower in place. (¿ ... can I
get concrete railroad ties 10 feet long?) Unbolt I-beams, lather rinse
repeat with the next larger outbuilding. Store I-beams and Lifting
Units for "later".
--
pyotr filipivich

[email protected] September 4th 18 08:39 PM

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 12:15:49 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:

I can draw the parts I doodled most of this out in meetings
("I-beam, end goes into socket in Lifting Unit, bolts both together.
Lifting Unit raises I-beam up by [bottle jack | screw jack | cam |
"other"] powered by [electric | steam | pneumatics | Hydraulics |
magic]. Ground contact can be via large wheels, fat wheels,
caterpillar tread, "feet". Each has advantages /drawbacks. Each beam
has one Lifting Unit at each end, so: Four beams, and four Lifting
Units (pat pending).
Rotate shed, move to new location, lower in place. (ż ... can I
get concrete railroad ties 10 feet long?) Unbolt I-beams, lather rinse
repeat with the next larger outbuilding. Store I-beams and Lifting
Units for "later".
--
pyotr filipivich

You might think about using blocks of ICE for the ground contact. It would reduce the force needed to move the buildings and would melt to lower it in place.

Dan

Jim Wilkins[_2_] September 5th 18 04:09 AM

determining the load on a corner "post"

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Lifting Unit raises I-beam up by [bottle jack | screw jack | cam |
"other"] powered by [electric | steam | pneumatics | Hydraulics |
magic].

My Lifting Units are tripods of pipe or tubing that support chain
hoists. The legs are joined at the top by a simple yet clever flexible
arrangement of bolts and chains I devised 20 years ago that leaves the
legs free to move around and divides the load between both sides of
each leg, I think, in a manner that lets K=1 in the column equation.
Likewise the pipes rest on actual balls or their near equivalents to
keep the axis of thrust centered within the tube.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_critical_load

If I could prove the design's weight bearing capacity I'd reveal it,
but I can't so you hereby know that a very simple folding pipe tripod
is possible. All parts are common consumer hardware though they aren't
necessarily used as intended. The load rating can be determined with
on-line column calculators. I proof test them with a load cell when
pulling stumps, which won't drop if anything fails. So far only one
5000 lb load cell has failed, and two legs and bottom ends were
retired for their battered conditions.

They move loads horizontally by walking the legs forward while the
load is lowered, then raising it enough to slide. It's slow but
requires only relatively level ground solid enough to support the leg
baseplates.

Larry Jaques[_4_] September 5th 18 06:15 AM

determining the load on a corner "post"

wrote:

[...]

What? All you have is a napkin at this point? Sheesh...

Larry Jaques[_4_] September 5th 18 06:24 AM

wrote:
Once the preliminaries are done, then Ill be scaling down to move
my footlockers around. (I had this idea for a camp setup, using a
20' shipping container as a base, and outfitting the Clanks with
appropriate livery, depending on if I'm reenacting medieval or
Steampunk. But that's a digression.)

Clanks? Which def?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Clank

"... clanks (impossibly advanced steampunk robots), dirigibles and
walking gunboats of the world there are constructs – biological
creations which range from Frankenstein-style creatures to talking
cats and mouse-sized mammoths."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Genius

Oh, THOSE clanks. Got it.

Loved the films Hugo, The Golden Compass, Van Helsing, The League of
Extraordinary Gentlemen, and Sherlock Holmes for their Steampunk.

What I'd really like to know is: how do I calculate the load
bearing capacity needed by the robot which is going to pick up the
corner.

Why calculate when you could overengineer the things so they could
heft the large buildings onto a single corner with one hand? Compete
with Optimus Prime. (He'd have the calcs handy, but go with 25T.)

Going out on a limb, I'm guessing you can rule out pneumatics here.

Changing approaches, decided I can't just roll any of this over
the Missus's Daisys, so I want to use a couple Rocs. Maybe some
griffins. Now I all need to know what the tension on the straps to the
harness will be.

I strongly recommend dragons over those silly animals. another plus
is that you can have them clear/sterilize the setdown area in seconds.
Well, if you properly shield things nearby. Got scales?

And where I can lay my hands on a couple environmentally friendly
and sustainably sourced elephant carcases, but that's getting off
track.

What on Earth for?

Pete Keillor[_2_] September 5th 18 01:31 PM

wrote:

[...]

I built my first shed for moving, 8' x 20', on skids of 3 2x8's nailed
together with 20p nails, crossmembers the same, cross braced with 3/8"
cable to eye bolts through the corners.

When it came time to move it, I disconnected the power, then tugged on
one end while pivoting it around the huge sycamore it was behind, then
winched it onto Dad's truck with the lift bed and winch. Drove about
15 miles, then dropped it at my new house. Jacked, leveled on blocks,
and ran the new electric. There was no sheetrock, so no sign of damage
at all.

Pete Keillor

[email protected] September 5th 18 03:40 PM

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 11:08:33 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I would enjoy seeing your lifting tripods. I made something similar, but the top was three sockets made of pipe welded to a plate. Worked well enoug to lift a small horizontal mill off a trailer.

Dan

pyotr filipivich September 5th 18 04:17 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

Larry Jaques on Tue, 04 Sep 2018
22:24:52 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Changing approaches, decided I can't just roll any of this over
the Missus's Daisys, so I want to use a couple Rocs. Maybe some
griffins. Now I all need to know what the tension on the straps to the
harness will be.

I strongly recommend dragons over those silly animals. another plus
is that you can have them clear/sterilize the setdown area in seconds.
Well, if you properly shield things nearby. Got scales?

And where I can lay my hands on a couple environmentally friendly
and sustainably sourced elephant carcases, but that's getting off
track.

What on Earth for?

Feeding the Rocs, of course.
--
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich September 5th 18 04:17 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

"Jim Wilkins" on Tue, 4 Sep 2018 23:09:41 -0400
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .

Lifting Unit raises I-beam up by [bottle jack | screw jack | cam |
"other"] powered by [electric | steam | pneumatics | Hydraulics |
magic].

My Lifting Units are tripods of pipe or tubing that support chain

oooh - Tripods! Martian Walkers!

Yes, of course, Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so brain, but were are we going to get a team of trained
Hippos in tutus?

tschus
pyotr

no, really, a good idea, too.
--
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich September 5th 18 04:17 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

Larry Jaques on Tue, 04 Sep 2018
22:15:55 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

[...]

Actually, some very nice drawings ... but yeah.
--
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich September 5th 18 04:17 PM

determining the load on a corner "post"

Pete Keillor on Wed, 05 Sep 2018 07:31:54

wrote:

[...]

The Shop is in a store bought shed, the Shed is rebuilt. I'm not
so sure about stability of them in a lifting scenario. the Shop is
probably good, the shed I have less confident in (I built it, and know
the corners I took.)

When it came time to move it, I disconnected the power, then tugged on
one end while pivoting it around the huge sycamore it was behind, then
winched it onto Dad's truck with the lift bed and winch. Drove about
15 miles, then dropped it at my new house. Jacked, leveled on blocks,
and ran the new electric. There was no sheetrock, so no sign of damage
at all.

I've a friend who says "Oh, just let me know, I can bring the
tractor ...". Not sure that's a good idea, or that we can get it
into the space available.
OTOH, there are come-alongs and cable/chain. Set a couple three
anchors and "Bob's yer uncle" or I'll have new beds plowed for
gardening.

--
pyotr filipivich