Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grubbing my Way Past a Dollar to Save a Dime

I decided I needed to change the sprue and runner layout on a multiple
piece stacker plate low pressure injection mold. I don't have to recut
all 11 pieces (10 cavity mold). I just needed to modify the first two.
Rather than recut them I decided I would modify them.

Now remember, other than getting paid to CNC machine molds and a few
other parts. I'm not a "real" machinist. I didn't apprentice in a shop
sweeping floors and sharpening drill bits for a hundred years first.
So, while I know how (or can figure out how) to do a lot of things I'm
not super skilled at a lot of basic things a more experienced machinist
would be.

Plate 2 is no big deal. Just machine half of a sprue and two runners
into the face of it. No existing machined feature is an issue. Both
machines I cut these plates on are still indexed to just drop the plates
back in place with a table mounted work stop still in place. Since I
didn't want to recut them I had to pin a couple holes. I spent some
time thinking about it, and some more time hunting up the smallest stock
on hand I could turn down to make the pins, then I hunted for pieces
that are already to short for another project I'll be starting on
shortly. Finally I turned down some pins to press in. Of course I
droped one in the chip tray. After five mintues of hunting for a .163 c
..30 pin in all that debris (I cleaned it out a couple weeks ago) I just
cut it again. Then I made a pin guide for the small one to make sure it
would start straight, and finally I pressed them in. Now I am ready to
put the two pieces on the machines and make the new sprue and runner cuts.

Well, I just looked at the clock. If I had just walked out to the saw
and whacked off another piece of stock and recut the top plate from
scratch I'd have been done an hour ago. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/10/2018 5:18 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I decided I needed to change the sprue and runner layout on a multiple
piece stacker plate low pressure injection mold.Â* I don't have to recut
all 11 pieces (10 cavity mold).Â* I just needed to modify the first two.
Rather than recut them I decided I would modify them.

Now remember, other than getting paid to CNC machine molds and a few
other parts. I'm not a "real" machinist.Â* I didn't apprentice in a shop
sweeping floors and sharpening drill bits for a hundred years first. So,
while I know how (or can figure out how) to do a lot of things I'm not
super skilled at a lot of basic things a more experienced machinist
would be.

Plate 2 is no big deal.Â* Just machine half of a sprue and two runners
into the face of it.Â* No existing machined feature is an issue.Â* Both
machines I cut these plates on are still indexed to just drop the plates
back in place with a table mounted work stop still in place.Â* Since I
didn't want to recut them I had to pin a couple holes.Â* I spent some
time thinking about it, and some more time hunting up the smallest stock
on hand I could turn down to make the pins, then I hunted for pieces
that are already to short for another project I'll be starting on
shortly.Â* Finally I turned down some pins to press in.Â* Of course I
droped one in the chip tray.Â* After five mintues of hunting for a .163 c
.30 pin in all that debris (I cleaned it out a couple weeks ago) I just
cut it again.Â* Then I made a pin guide for the small one to make sure it
would start straight, and finally I pressed them in.Â* Now I am ready to
put the two pieces on the machines and make the new sprue and runner cuts.

Well, I just looked at the clock.Â* If I had just walked out to the saw
and whacked off another piece of stock and recut the top plate from
scratch I'd have been done an hour ago.Â* LOL.

..163 x .30

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 17:18:40 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

Aw, isn't that sweet? He's becoming a real machinist after all.
We must have courage in the face of sometimes, near insuperable
odds, against the dark forces of statism, political correctness,
and green-left-liberal lunacy.
--James Delingpole