Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What can I use this welding wire for?

To any welders left here,
My neighbor moved and I ended up with about 15 lbs of 70/30 CuNi .045"
MIG wire. Besides welding copper/nickel alloys what else is it good
for? I can TIG weld with it but I don't know if it's good for anything
special, like welding cast iron.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
To any welders left here,
My neighbor moved and I ended up with about 15 lbs of 70/30 CuNi
.045"
MIG wire. Besides welding copper/nickel alloys what else is it good
for? I can TIG weld with it but I don't know if it's good for
anything
special, like welding cast iron.
Thanks,
Eric

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monel

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news
wrote in message
To any welders left here,
My neighbor moved and I ended up with about 15 lbs of 70/30 CuNi .045"
MIG wire. Besides welding copper/nickel alloys what else is it good
for? I can TIG weld with it but I don't know if it's good for anything
special, like welding cast iron.
Thanks,
Eric

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monel

Do you have 70% Cu 30% Ni, or 30% Cu 70% Ni (which is close to some Monels)?

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 14:00:14 -0400, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news
wrote in message
.. .
To any welders left here,
My neighbor moved and I ended up with about 15 lbs of 70/30 CuNi .045"
MIG wire. Besides welding copper/nickel alloys what else is it good
for? I can TIG weld with it but I don't know if it's good for anything
special, like welding cast iron.
Thanks,
Eric

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monel
================================================= ===

Do you have 70% Cu 30% Ni, or 30% Cu 70% Ni (which is close to some Monels)?

70 copper, 30 nickel

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 14:53:45 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

Sounds like it may be Monel 60 (ERNiCu-7) filler. See p. 30 in this
document:
http://www.specialmetals.com/assets/...mw/joining.pdf

On Sat, 07 Apr 2018 10:36:09 -0700, wrote:

To any welders left here,
My neighbor moved and I ended up with about 15 lbs of 70/30 CuNi .045"
MIG wire. Besides welding copper/nickel alloys what else is it good
for? I can TIG weld with it but I don't know if it's good for anything
special, like welding cast iron.
Thanks,
Eric

It's 70% copper.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news
. ..

================================================ ====

Do you have 70% Cu 30% Ni, or 30% Cu 70% Ni (which is close to some Monels)?

70 copper, 30 nickel

http://www.matweb.com/search/datashe...5bd 0e0696e26
General Description

Carlson alloy 70 30 Cu Ni is a copper nickel alloy with excellent
resistance to corrosion and erosion. It is strong and ductile. 70 30
Cu Ni is utilized in areas where high temperatures and pressures,
combined with high velocities and turbulence are serious problems. It
can be utilized up to 700°F for ASME code heat exchangers and unfired
pressure vessels.

70 30 Cu Ni exhibits outstanding resistance to general and impingent
attack by clean sea water. It is, however, subject to bio-fouling at
low velocities. 70 30 Cu Ni also has excellent resistance to attack by
fresh water, boiler feedwater, and steam. It withstands the attack of
phosphoric, sulfuric, and mild organic acids. It is attacked by
chromic, hydrobromic, hydrochloric, and nitric acids. 70 30 Cu Ni is
resistant to alkaline chlorides, chromates, nitrates and sulfates. It
is, however, attacked by the cyanides and acid dichromates. 70 30 Cu
Ni resists wet and dry chlorine, bromine, and carbon dioxide at
ambient temperatures.

Applications

70 30 Cu Ni is widely used in marine service, tidewater power plants,
desalinization plants, oil refineries, and in the chemical process
industry. It is utilized extensively as a condenser and salt water
tube and piping material for the U.S. Navy.

Product applications include condenser, heat exchanger and distiller
tubes, tube sheets and baffles, sale water piping, water boxes, tanks,
vats, pressure vessels, process equipment, pumps and valves.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross