DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil" (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/605348-how-tell-cutting-oil-lubricating-oil.html)

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 16th 18 03:36 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 07:35:35 -0600, Ignoramus30119

On 2018-02-14, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 06:39:48 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Am Mittwoch, 14. Februar 2018 14:33:53 UTC+1 schrieb Red Prepper:
I'm sure Ed ****dress, the **** In A Dress will be along shortly to
tell you everything he knows about lubricating oils and gels. If your
good, he'll even let you try them out together.

Honestly, what happened to this group? Ed is a good guy.

Was.

Ed is a great guy, he just has a weird anti-Trump political platform.

That, too, but the "was" still stands. He went off the rails a few
years ago.

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 16th 18 03:44 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 11:41:42 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 7:21:11 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins
wrote:

I'm not trivializing the skill it takes to run this sort of test.
I'm
just pointing out that stuff like this often ends up in the garbage
(rather than at an auction house) because either someone is too lazy
or the institution doesn't have a mechanism for selling or donating
excess equipment, but destroying it is easy.

=====

A town employee who sees interesting things at the dump gives me
some.
I have a Harbor Freight 61969 miter saw in the repair queue for this
spring, in exchange for working on a generator he salvaged for his
dad.

I have the single-bevel style of that saw and happily used it for 8
years in my handyman service. It's still in good shape and running.
I wish I had a friend at the dump. It's unconscionable what people
throw away. Nicked cord on a $3,000 device? Toss it. sigh

That's how I got the spline-type rock drill. When the cord broke the
owner replaced it with an SDS type.

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 16th 18 03:46 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 08:35:20 -0600, Ignoramus30119

On 2018-02-14, wrote:
If the oil contains chlorinated hydrcarbons then phosgene gas being
generated in a furnace is a disitinct likelyhood. Since chlorinated
hydrocarbons used to be in several pretty common tapping fluids and
are still used as degreasers today they might be in that oil. I'll bet
an oil analysis isn't very expensive compared to the money you can
save burning the stuff and the money it would cost you if your furnace
was damaged. Or if you or somebody else breathed in a little phosgene.
Are you required to take the oil? How much time do you have to test
the oil?
Eric

I am satisfied with what I found. The maintenance guy said that he
only put lubricating oil in it. The oil does not smell bad in any way
like sulfurized oils would. It also does not tarnish a polished
copper bar.

Before you use it in your furnace, you might want to check with the
furnace mfgr as to what could happen should you burn some kind of bad
oil. What might the cost be for experimentation? Other tests, such
as PH are cheap and easy. Alkalinity would be a flag, I'd think.

I'd filter the heck out of the input to the transfer pump, too. Clear
hose to check for water and debris?

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Red Prepper February 16th 18 03:54 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 07:30:59 -0600, Ignoramus30119
On 2018-02-14, Red Prepper wrote:
I'm sure Ed ****dress, the **** In A Dress will be along shortly

tell you everything he knows about lubricating oils and gels. If

your
good, he'll even let you try them out together.

I surely do hope that Ed will show up in this discussion, unlike

you,
you ignorant turd.

You like his crusty old crossposting ****. Big surprise.

Red Prepper February 16th 18 03:55 PM

On 2018-02-14, Larry Jaques

He's a gay cross-posting **** in a dress.

Red Prepper February 16th 18 03:56 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

Ed Huntress February 16th 18 04:15 PM

wrote:

Am Mittwoch, 14. Februar 2018 14:33:53 UTC+1 schrieb Red Prepper:
I'm sure Ed ****dress, the **** In A Dress will be along shortly to
tell you everything he knows about lubricating oils and gels. If your
good, he'll even let you try them out together.

Honestly, what happened to this group? Ed is a good guy.

Was.

Ed is a great guy, he just has a weird anti-Trump political platform.

"Weird"? Jeez, Iggy. If you follow the polls, more than half of the
people in the United States are anti-Trump!

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress February 16th 18 04:35 PM

wrote:

Am Mittwoch, 14. Februar 2018 14:33:53 UTC+1 schrieb Red Prepper:
I'm sure Ed ****dress, the **** In A Dress will be along shortly to
tell you everything he knows about lubricating oils and gels. If your
good, he'll even let you try them out together.

Honestly, what happened to this group? Ed is a good guy.

Was.

Ed is a great guy, he just has a weird anti-Trump political platform.

That, too, but the "was" still stands. He went off the rails a few
years ago.

No, Larry, YOU went off the rails, when you told us that elected
officials should be threatened with guns if they didn't follow your
agenda -- and then confirmed it by telling us that you were serious.

You may well be on an FBI watch list after that, and it would be well
deserved. With all of the freaks who are on Usenet these days, I don't
doubt that they're monitoring it.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress February 16th 18 04:41 PM

On 2018-02-14, Larry Jaques

wrote:

Am Mittwoch, 14. Februar 2018 14:33:53 UTC+1 schrieb Red Prepper:
I'm sure Ed ****dress, the **** In A Dress will be along

shortly to
tell you everything he knows about lubricating oils and gels.

If your
good, he'll even let you try them out together.

Honestly, what happened to this group? Ed is a good guy.

Was.

Ed is a great guy, he just has a weird anti-Trump political

platform.

He's a gay cross-posting **** in a dress.

Ha! Red Pecker is still hanging around RCM. Maybe he hopes to learn
how to make a necklace from his old beer-can pull-tab collection.

It will never work with your Dolce & Gabbana nightgowns, Pecker. But
if you try, keep it short -- like a choker. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress February 16th 18 04:46 PM

On 2018-02-14, Red Prepper wrote:
I'm sure Ed ****dress, the **** In A Dress will be along shortly

tell you everything he knows about lubricating oils and gels. If

your
good, he'll even let you try them out together.

I surely do hope that Ed will show up in this discussion, unlike

you,
you ignorant turd.

You like his crusty old crossposting ****. Big surprise.

Iggy is not old, he's not crusty, and, unlike you, he avoids
crossposting more than 99 out of 100 posters on Usenet.

As for the "****" remark, that tells us all that anyone on RCM needs
to know about *you*, that you have the maturity of a 12-year-old. It
certainly doesn't apply to Iggy.

--
Ed Huntress

Red Prepper February 16th 18 05:51 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

I wasn't calling Iggy old you stupid **** in a dress. I was referring
to your crusty old **** in a dress. It would appear that Iggy has
take a fondness of your ****.

Red Prepper February 16th 18 05:53 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

On 2018-02-14, Larry Jaques

wrote:

[...]

I've moved in **** in a Dress. Soon there will be more joining me.
I'm getting the band back together you stank nasty crossposting ****
in a dress pedophile.

Carl Ijames[_14_] February 16th 18 06:14 PM

wrote:

On 2018-02-14, wrote:
[...]

And, of course, the old dilute, dilute, dilute would be extra insurance.
Mix this stuff in at 5 or 10% with your current fuel oil to slow and limit
any damage, and look over the burner after running some number of gallons
through the heater.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

On 2018-02-14, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

Oh yeah, another thing that should be known about Pecker: He has an
imaginary posse, with which he threatens some kind of unspecified
mayhem. g

They're known as the "Sock-Puppet Cowards." They're something like
Gunner's "Cullers."

[We now return to not replying to Pecker's posts in RCM]

--
Ed Huntress

On 2018-02-14, Larry Jaques

****
in a dress pedophile.

Oh yeah, another thing that should be known about Pecker: He has an
imaginary posse, with which he threatens some kind of unspecified
mayhem. g

They're known as the "Sock-Puppet Cowards." They're something like
Gunner's "Cullers."

[We now return to not replying to Pecker's posts in RCM]

--
Ed ****rdess

Sure, they're all fake you **** in a dress. Just as fake as all the
stories of ancestors. The only thing real about them are their ****s
in dresses, and I'm talking about the men in your family. You stupid
****ing ****inadress troll.

John B.[_3_] February 17th 18 01:31 AM

On 2018-02-14, Red Prepper wrote:
I'm sure Ed ****dress, the **** In A Dress will be along shortly to
tell you everything he knows about lubricating oils and gels. If your
good, he'll even let you try them out together.

I surely do hope that Ed will show up in this discussion, unlike you,
you ignorant turd.

Most news readers have filters that can be set to eliminate the
ignorant turds.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Ignoramus30620 February 17th 18 04:34 AM

wrote:

Am Mittwoch, 14. Februar 2018 14:33:53 UTC+1 schrieb Red Prepper:
I'm sure Ed ****dress, the **** In A Dress will be along shortly to
tell you everything he knows about lubricating oils and gels. If your
good, he'll even let you try them out together.

Honestly, what happened to this group? Ed is a good guy.

Was.

Ed is a great guy, he just has a weird anti-Trump political platform.

"Weird"? Jeez, Iggy. If you follow the polls, more than half of the
people in the United States are anti-Trump!

Yes, I find that to be weird. The Trump haters I know, including some
of my relatives, keep reposting obviously FAKE anti-trump news and
generally the level of discourse is way lower than I would like it to
be.

Ed Huntress February 17th 18 06:48 AM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

wrote:

Am Mittwoch, 14. Februar 2018 14:33:53 UTC+1 schrieb Red Prepper:
I'm sure Ed ****dress, the **** In A Dress will be along shortly to
tell you everything he knows about lubricating oils and gels. If your
good, he'll even let you try them out together.

Honestly, what happened to this group? Ed is a good guy.

Was.

Ed is a great guy, he just has a weird anti-Trump political platform.

"Weird"? Jeez, Iggy. If you follow the polls, more than half of the
people in the United States are anti-Trump!

Yes, I find that to be weird. The Trump haters I know, including some
of my relatives, keep reposting obviously FAKE anti-trump news and
generally the level of discourse is way lower than I would like it to
be.

I'm not sure you can even call it "discourse" any more. It's more like
fecal combat.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress February 17th 18 07:00 AM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

On 2018-02-14, Red Prepper wrote:
I'm sure Ed ****dress, the **** In A Dress will be along shortly to
tell you everything he knows about lubricating oils and gels. If your
good, he'll even let you try them out together.

I surely do hope that Ed will show up in this discussion, unlike you,
you ignorant turd.

Most news readers have filters that can be set to eliminate the
ignorant turds.

Right. In the case of Red Prepper, it's highly recommended.

--
Ed Huntress

Howard Beel February 17th 18 08:04 AM

On 2018-02-14, Red Prepper wrote:
I'm sure Ed ****dress, the **** In A Dress will be along shortly to
tell you everything he knows about lubricating oils and gels. If your
good, he'll even let you try them out together.

I surely do hope that Ed will show up in this discussion, unlike you,
you ignorant turd.

Most news readers have filters that can be set to eliminate the
ignorant turds.

Right. In the case of Red Prepper, it's highly recommended.

--
Ed Huntress

I have found that filtering on keywords in the subject line is more
effective than filtering on the from line. Most of the political crap
gets scrubed out before i see it. When somthing gets thru i just
add a new keyword to the killfile, this kills all the replies that follow
the original post. The trolls can morph all they want and i never
see thier posts or replies.

Best Regards.
Tom.

---
http://www.avg.com

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 17th 18 12:12 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

"Ignoramus30620" wrote in
message ...

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 17th 18 01:18 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

"Ignoramus30620" wrote in
message ...

On 2018-02-14, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

That was "lost in translation"
http://www.heretical.com/miscella/dinform.html
"Ultimately, they have made the Soviet Union the victim of its own
deceit..."

Stalin was initially deceived himself. Allegedly senior Nazi
intelligence operative Reinhard Heydrich planted disinformation that
fooled Stalin into crippling the Red Army by executing the top Army
officers as traitors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Tukhachevsky

British-backed Czech agents assassinated Heydrich to allow his rival,
anti-Nazi Admiral Wilhelm Canaris, to take over as counterintelligence
chief.
http://www.holocaustresearchproject....on/lidice.html
http://www.richardmbrook.com/?p=329
"While helping to plan many of Hitler's expansionist schemes, he was
also plotting against him, doing whatever he could to thwart Hitler's
plans and in many cases, trying to warn the Allies of Hitler's
intentions in advance."

Decent people have trouble accepting how far some will go when an
authority justifies their actions.
https://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html
"Psychopaths play on the fact that most of us are trusting and
forgiving people,..."

Ed Huntress February 17th 18 03:55 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 00:04:36 -0800, "Howard Beel"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

On 2018-02-14, Red Prepper wrote:
[...]

Whatever works for you. Another thing to keep in mind is that any
cross-posted messages are the result of somebody trolling with
provocative posts, and anyone who unwittingly replies to them (like
me, until about a year ago) is just responding to the creeps and those
threads can safely be ignored. Somebody here was just killfiling any
posts with multiple NGs in the header list, and it seemed to work for
them.

The only trouble with that is that the noise can get heavy and it does
seem to suppres some of the legitimatee posting. But I suspect that
RCM regulars have gotten better at ignoring or killfiling because
legit activity seems to be picking up again.

--
Ed Huntress

On 2018-02-14, Red Prepper wrote:
[...]

Immaturity quickly reveals itself.

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 17th 18 05:32 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

================================================= ===

And, of course, the old dilute, dilute, dilute would be extra insurance.
Mix this stuff in at 5 or 10% with your current fuel oil to slow and limit
any damage, and look over the burner after running some number of gallons
through the heater.

Excellent advice, Carl.

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 17th 18 06:13 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

wrote:

[...]

I was given the Club Car golf cart and found it wouldn't charge. Under
ten bucks later, with the new 12" battery cable, it charged just fine.
One rotted cable-end was the culprit.

I got a fairly new, perfectly usable vacuum cleaner at a garage sale.
I had turned it over and found the pet hair and dust bunnies which
clogged the intake, so I grabbed it, spent 5 minutes at home cleaning
it out, and it vacuumed just wonderfully.

Ditto numerous mowers, tillers, weed-eaters, and machinery. It has a
broken wheel or layer of rust? Can't identify a tool? "Toss it."
they say, and I happily haul it off, repair it, and use or sell it.

I noticed some other things as I was winding down the business. Most
of my clients had been totally helpless with DIY/mech/elec. devices
and probably 80%+ had been KoolAid-drinkin', CNN-watchin' Dems. I had
to keep a real tight rein on my lips.

-- Sir Winston Churchill

On 2018-02-14, Red Prepper wrote:
[...]

I've sure seen a load of that lately. What I wonder is if they
recognize it, and if so, what do they think they're accomplishing?

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 17th 18 07:26 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
..
I was given the Club Car golf cart and found it wouldn't charge.
Under
ten bucks later, with the new 12" battery cable, it charged just
fine.
One rotted cable-end was the culprit.

I diagnosed a non-charging 36V golf cart for a neighbor. It had a
strange ferroresonant charger with a relay that the cart battery has
to energize in order to enable the charger output. The battery was too
low to do it so I boosted it with a power supply.
-jsw

On 2018-02-14, Red Prepper wrote:
[...]

How can they recognize themselves as not fully mature until they get
there?

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 17th 18 08:02 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I noticed some other things as I was winding down the business.
Most
of my clients had been totally helpless with DIY/mech/elec. devices
and probably 80%+ had been KoolAid-drinkin', CNN-watchin' Dems. I
had
to keep a real tight rein on my lips.

Coincidentally I was discussing that last night with a female
professional photographer, while otherwise drinking beer and making
animal sounds with the guys around a bonfire out in the woods.

Her current art project is documenting tradesmen to show them as
normal humans to an audience of lawyers, stockbrokers et al who look
down on manual skills (that they lack).
-jsw

On 2018-02-14, Red Prepper wrote:
[...]

Ha! That's a good question. Sometimes I think it's a matter of their
choice. But maybe the answer is that they have arrested development
and never got there in the first place.

--
Ed Huntress

On 2018-02-14, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

The story of what exactly was going on in the military purges is still
completely unclear to me. I heard that version but there are others,
and very little facts.

John B.[_3_] February 18th 18 02:06 AM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

On 2018-02-14, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

Err... Canaris was appointed head of the Abwehr in 1933 (promoted to
Rear-Admiral in 1935). Reinhard Heydrich was assassinated in 1942.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 18th 18 01:22 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

"Ignoramus32217" wrote in
message ...
On 2018-02-17, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Stalin was initially deceived himself. Allegedly senior Nazi
intelligence operative Reinhard Heydrich planted disinformation
that
fooled Stalin into crippling the Red Army by executing the top Army
officers as traitors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Tukhachevsky

The story of what exactly was going on in the military purges is
still completely unclear to me. I heard that version but there are
others, and very little facts.

The Soviet version is that Stalin knew the leaked telegrams were fake
and used them to justify purging his opponents. That might be a
face-saving excuse though several major historical events did go that
way.

Iraqi defector "Curveball" gave false, unverifiable testimony that
Saddam's chemical weapons programs were continuing in secret. Saddam
later told the FBI that his deceptions were aimed at Iran, not us. He
mistakenly believed we could see through them, but apparently we
couldn't and didn't want to anyway.

LBJ manipulated questionable radar returns that could have been either
North Vietnamese patrol boats or lightning strikes to justify the
Tonkin Gulf Resolution.

http://www.ushistory.org/us/44c.asp

A German telegram calculated to offend French honor provoked the 1871
declaration of war and crushing defeat that left France hungry for
revenge (WW1) . At that point most of Europe was itching for an excuse
for war, except for the Tsar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_..._1899_and_1907
"The First Hague Conference came from a proposal on 24 August 1898 by
Russian Tsar Nicholas II."

-jsw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 18th 18 02:22 PM

wrote:

British-backed Czech agents assassinated Heydrich to allow his
rival,
anti-Nazi Admiral Wilhelm Canaris, to take over as
counterintelligence
chief.

Err... Canaris was appointed head of the Abwehr in 1933 (promoted to
Rear-Admiral in 1935). Reinhard Heydrich was assassinated in 1942.

John B.

I didn't intend to drag this out, but I can.

Typically for Nazi politics, Hitler gave two or more organizations
overlapping powers to let the strongest survive, and keep them in
conflict with each other and dependent on him alone. Heydrich
controlled the Gestapo (secret police) and SD (security service) and
attempted to merge the Abwehr into them, under SS control.
http://auschwitz.dk/Canaris/id3.htm
"Basically Heydrich made every effort to take over the Abwehr."

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 18th 18 02:30 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 14:26:45 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
..
I was given the Club Car golf cart and found it wouldn't charge.
Under
ten bucks later, with the new 12" battery cable, it charged just
fine.
One rotted cable-end was the culprit.

I diagnosed a non-charging 36V golf cart for a neighbor. It had a
strange ferroresonant charger with a relay that the cart battery has
to energize in order to enable the charger output. The battery was too
low to do it so I boosted it with a power supply.

Bravo. I likely faced the same circuit and the open circuit of the
corroded-in-two cable end showed it a low voltage. g

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 18th 18 02:41 PM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 15:02:39 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

I noticed some other things as I was winding down the business.
Most
of my clients had been totally helpless with DIY/mech/elec. devices
and probably 80%+ had been KoolAid-drinkin', CNN-watchin' Dems. I
had
to keep a real tight rein on my lips.

Coincidentally I was discussing that last night with a female
professional photographer, while otherwise drinking beer and making
animal sounds with the guys around a bonfire out in the woods.

LOL

Her current art project is documenting tradesmen to show them as
normal humans to an audience of lawyers, stockbrokers et al who look
down on manual skills (that they lack).

Yes, being a blue-collar worker from day 1, I have felt the scorn of
so called "professional" people. (people of color aren't the only
people who are discriminated against.)

I'm heartened to hear that she is doing that project, and I hope it
goes viral.

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 18th 18 03:22 PM

wrote:

[...]

The envious scorn goes both ways, I get it for being a college
graduate. I settled the argument with one tradesman by telling him
that a degree may not prove superior intelligence but it does
demonstrate the persistence to complete a long, tedious and boring
task.

Obtaining a science or engineering degree is so far beyond normal
experience that it isn't a good example to compare to.

My mother worked at the NH State Library where a degree in -anything-
was required for promotion above her level.
-jsw

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 18th 18 04:06 PM

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/03/opini...ein/index.html

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 19th 18 03:45 AM

How to tell "Cutting Oil" from "Lubricating Oil"

wrote:

[...]

I don't know about envy, but I can imagine that it is even more
widespread nowadays, with what colleges are turning out. Video:
parents attended 8% of job interviews and 3% of parents actually
participated in the interview. Aren't Millennials interesting?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwG5...ex=457&list=WL

In the past, more scorn went out to overeducated folks who had a dozen
post-nominal letters after their name, but who couldn't tie their own
shoes. (I think Rodney Dangerfield picked up his respect schtick from
some of them.) That said, too many people can't handle someone around
them knowing more than they do, and that's a shame.

I settled the argument with one tradesman by telling him
that a degree may not prove superior intelligence but it does
demonstrate the persistence to complete a long, tedious and boring
task.

That it does, plus, there are many types of intelligence.

Obtaining a science or engineering degree is so far beyond normal
experience that it isn't a good example to compare to.

=Extreme= STEM.

My mother worked at the NH State Library where a degree in -anything-
was required for promotion above her level.

Lots of companies now require some degree in whatever to even accept
your resume/CV.

-- Sir Winston Churchill