Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reeves variable speed on bridgeport heating up

I just purchased a Bridgeport vertical step-pulley mill converted to variable speed using Reeves drive.
I tested in the shop,which had 3 phase power, and all was well.
I brought home to my garage,which only has 220/single phase. First tried a static phase converter and drive made a crazy rattling noise and heated up in a couple of minutes. I then got a 3 hp rotary phase converter. Hooked her up and she ran great: no rattle-but after 5 min heated up!
I need help.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 12:26:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I just purchased a Bridgeport vertical step-pulley mill converted to variable speed using Reeves drive.
I tested in the shop,which had 3 phase power, and all was well.
I brought home to my garage,which only has 220/single phase. First tried a static phase converter and drive made a crazy rattling noise and heated up in a couple of minutes. I then got a 3 hp rotary phase converter. Hooked her up and she ran great: no rattle-but after 5 min heated up!
I need help.

I am ignorant about Reeves Drives. But I would think that a variable speed drive would require a belt specifically made for variable speed. The belt would be wide and not very deep.

I looked up Reeves on the internet and found a page where they told where to find the model #.

Dan