Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tool Setter Materials

I've decided I need to make some electrical tool height setters for my
machines with a fairly small foot print. I've figure out my design so they
will have a lot of over travel and good repeatability, but I am wondering
about the anvil or touch surface. The analog indicator type I am using now
seem to have a steel surface, but they are softer than the tools and they
will ding fairly easily if you make a mistake. Because I do a lot of flood
machining I was thinking stainless might be the ticket. 304 for the body,
and 303 or 416L for the anvil with an acetal insulator. A harder
machineable insulator might be better, but I am not sure what.

Definitely NOT something like HDPE since its compressible, and spring
pressure over time might cause it to extrude and lose positional accuracy.
I don't really have room for an off material setter to to be used all the
time. Adding soft buttons and macros to semi automate the tool height set
is pretty easy for my controls. It would improve my machine times, and
reduce my necessity to deburr between tool changes more easily creating
consistent parts.