Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Opinions sought-most flexible air hose

I'm sure some folks here will agree on a particular brand, at least
I hope so. I am looking for the most flexible and lightest 1/4 I.D.
air hose. The hose is to be used in my machine shop so it must be
compatible with typical fluids found in machine shops.
I want to make up a bunch of whips using ferrules to clamp the hose
to some sort of rotating fitting that screws into air guns.
I am sick and tired of fighting air hose twist, stiffness and
weight. Hose clamps that have any type of ears or protrusions etc. bug
me almost as much.
So very flexible air hose clamped to a fitting with a nice smooth
crimped ferrule is my goal.
Might as well talk as about swivels too. The swivels I want should
only rotate which means the ball type won't do. I have some ball type
swivels and don't like them. I may end up making my own because I
haven't yet found a swivel that just rotates. I am also considering
the use of quick disconnects as the swivel. But not the standard size
because the diameter of these is too large. But there are available
small diameter quick disconnect fittings that work just like the
larger diameter types. Less air goes through but most of the time I
don't need a lot of air for blowing stuff off.
I use several types of air gun nozzles but the ones that get the
most use are the type that use the Coanda effect to entrain extra air
from the surrounding air into the air stream coming from the nozzle.
They are quieter and work very well for blowing coolant and chips off
of parts and vises and so on. This is why smaller diameter quick
disconnect fittings would be OK for most stuff.
So I would like suggestions and opinions on small diameter quick
disconnects, swivels, and air hose please.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 06 Oct 2017 11:30:39 -0700
wrote:

snip
I am looking for the most flexible and lightest 1/4 I.D.
air hose...

I've got a 50 ft 3/8 inch "Flexzilla" hose.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexzilla-Fit...dp/B001C6NC7O/

It is really flexible, stretchy stuff. But if you run it up to pressure
and then coil it up for storage or vice-versa, you'll have a twisty
coil when you do the opposite. The stuff acts weird. I have an old
Dayton rubber hose and a newer Goodyear rubber hose and they
don't act that way. Just something to keep in mind as you check out
stuff that looks promising...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

If we're talking reinforced rubber hose, Parker 801, hands down. Much
more limber than equivalent Goodyear, Aeroquip, or anything else I've
seen.
http://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/product/hose/801-hose

No ferrule required if you use the Parker push-lok barb fittings or
the McMaster equivalent fittings. The McMaster fittings work as well
as the Parker fittings and are less expensive.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#push-on-ho...tings/=19p79k5

The 801 hose tends to crack at the fittings after several years of
flexing, but I just cut 3 or 4 inches off the end of the hose and
reattach the original barb. To remove the fitting, make a diagonal cut
across the barbs with a shop knife.

For larger hose the installation tool is handy, but not necessary for
1/4 & 3/8 hose if you lube the barb and hose ID.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 06 Oct 2017 19:04:19 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ned, I really value your opinions about this kind of stuff.
I'll see if I can handle some of the Parker hose locally and if it's
limber enogh buy some.
Cheers,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Nice of you to say so.

I'll see if I can handle some of the Parker hose locally and if it's
limber enogh buy some.
Cheers,
Eric

Contact me by email if you can't put your hands on some and we can
arrange to get you a length that'll fit in a flat rate box. I bought a
spool at auction years ago and though I don't know much is left, I'm
sure I can spare 10ft.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

OK Ned, I'll let you know.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 6, 2017 at 11:25:07 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Get a top brand rubber hose. I bought a used air compressor 25 yrs ago and it came with a 50 ft rubber hose. It is super flexible, has never burst and is still in excellent condition. I actually can't believe it but it fact. Once bought a plastic air hose 10 yrs ago and the thing was a nightmare. In the cold it was so stiff as to be unusable. I ended up throwing it in the trash.

Here is a good brand cheap price 1/4 x 25 rubber hose on amazon for 16.85 this should work fine. reviews say it is great quality and very flexible.

https://www.amazon.com/Amflo-512-25E.../dp/B00807XWLY

Below is a 24" version but I would simply buy the longer version and then buy the end fittings and make up my own.

https://www.amazon.com/Amflo-25L-24B...srs=2582153011

~
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 02:08:37 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Most Amflo products are really good stuff.
Goodyear makes good hoses as well, which are available from HF

Some of HF hoses are utter trash, others, are pretty good.

---