Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why all the induction heaters from China?

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 17:36:50 -0400, "Steve W."

I see lots of Chinese made induction heaters on eBay and I get ads in
my email from China fairly often for induction heaters. They all look
like the same product made in the same factory (no surprise) and come
in various power levels. They are advertised as being able to melt
metals and heat treat parts. Induction heaters are nothing new but all
the ones I see are now inverter based solid state devices, so I guess
that's fairly new compared to the first one I ever saw 44 years ago
that was made from an AM radio transmitter. I know they have been
making pretty cheap induction stove tops for a while now too. But why
in the last couple of years am I seeing so many being sold by so many
different sellers? What am I missing? How many people need to melt
small quantities of metals? Or need to heat treat small tools?
Eric

Go look on YouTube and you can watch those units blow up or burn....

But the answer is that there are a lot of folks getting into metal
related hobbies. Induction heat is great for things like metal sculpture
and small castings.

I have a Mini-Ductor that has served very well for heating things where
I didn't want to use the torch.

So you think that they are just like any other specialty tool that has
finally gotten cheap enough for the casual tool buyer? Maybe so. I
certainly have been thinking about making or buying an induction
heater for some time.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 12:16:49 -0700, wrote:

Go look on YouTube and you can watch those units blow up or burn....

We (Fluxeon.com) purchased several to do a competitive analysis.
Watching the smoke trickle out was kinda fun. As was seeing a "15kW"
unit actually output 1500 watts.

But the answer is that there are a lot of folks getting into metal
related hobbies. Induction heat is great for things like metal sculpture
and small castings.

It's one of those tools that once you have it you wonder how you lived
without it.

I have a Mini-Ductor that has served very well for heating things where
I didn't want to use the torch.

Poor guy. We bought one of those to do a competitive analysis. The
most I could get out of it was 500 watts even though they claim 1000.
Induction Innovations got so frothing mad at the review I posted on
http://www.johndearmond.com that I passworded the article rather than
sling lawyers at each other. Creative use of the WayBack Machine will
find the original article. :-)

So you think that they are just like any other specialty tool that has
finally gotten cheap enough for the casual tool buyer? Maybe so. I
certainly have been thinking about making or buying an induction
heater for some time.

Your theory is correct. I'm the engineer behind
http://www.tnduction.com, a manufacturer of low to modest power
induction heaters. Every time a new hot-**** FET or IGBT hits the
market or a smaller, faster, cheaper microprocessor comes along, the
price goes down and/or the power goes up.

I'm working on a new version of our Roy heater that uses a fast and
cheap Texas Instruments DSP processor to implement most all the hard
logic in software. And the new SiC power transistors are making it
easier and easier (and cheaper) to make bullet-proof power.

Taking my engineer's hat off now and putting on my home workshop hat,
I don't see how I lived without an induction heater. Freeing rusted
bolts, pulleys and fans on rusted shafts and so on are trivially
simple. Melting 50 lbs of lead in about 13 minutes with no smoke is
really simple. Brazing carbide teeth onto tool steel tools? 15
second job with a flux concentrator. Bending steel rod to make tools?
At least as fast as a medium size rosebud.

Case-hardening gear teeth by heating the teeth to red heat while the
gear is under water? No problem. Silver-soldering band saw blades?
Seconds Fast enough that one can hold the pieces together because the
braze is over before the downstream blade gets warm.

Getting old corroded bronze screws out of wooden boat hull? no
problem with a work coil designed to heat the screw but not burn the
wood.

Melting and casting aluminum in your kitchen? :-)

Start here

http://www.johndearmond.com/category/induction-heating/

Need to solder a heavy lug to #2 welding cable say, to hook up an
inverter. Trivially easy with an induction heater.

http://www.neon-john.com/RV/Electric...rter/index.htm

IF you don't want to buy, we open-source most of our products.

http://www.neon-john.com/RV/Electric...rter/index.htm

Incidentally, we recently split Fluxeon into two companies. Mine is
the Tellico Induction Corp or http://www.tnduction.com. We sell the
Roy and Leddie products. Fluxeon sells the Annie brass annealer (as
in reloading) and the open source parts.

Our website is woefully outdated. We'll shortly have a "successes"
section and a video section. Some pretty amazing video.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 21:18:50 -0400, Neon John wrote:

[...]

Hey, John, send us a press release with that info above in it, and a
photo, and we'll run it in Fab Shop. And I'll pass it over to Abbe at
Welding Productivity for their consideration.

You can use the email address on our website:

www.fsmdirect.com

Just click on an issue and you'll see me on the masthead.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

[...]

http://www.neon-john.com/RV/Electric...x.htmhttp://ww

w.neon-john.com/RV/Electrical/2000_watt_inverter/index.htm

[...]

Better fix the links on the tnduction website before going live, or the
moment will be lost.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 22:20:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

Tell John. g

--
Ed Huntress

Fuses in place of motor "heaters"? (induction motor protection) DaveC[_3_] Electronics Repair 30 February 2nd 14 03:38 AM
Fuses in place of motor "heaters"? (induction motor protection) DaveC[_3_] Woodworking 15 January 30th 14 03:49 AM
Induction hob - Y/N? Lobster UK diy 52 May 13th 13 08:28 PM
Induction heaters, anybody? Pete S Metalworking 6 June 18th 11 02:40 AM
FROM CHINA!---Merry Christmas to all FROM CHINA! [email protected] UK diy 1 December 26th 06 02:05 PM