Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default bbq tank adaptors

There's a cheap gizmo that purports to let you fill a small propane tank
from your bigger bbq tank.

Are these legit?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 2:42:54 PM UTC-4, unk wrote:
There's a cheap gizmo that purports to let you fill a small propane tank
from your bigger bbq tank.

Are these legit?

I have had one for many years. Used it earlier this week. I have a wood stove in the basement and use a small hand held torch to start the fire.

The little tanks tend to leak after they have been refilled once or twice, so I install a torch on them after refilling.

Also the propane does not readily flow into the small tank even thought the tank is lower than the bigger tank. So I put the small tank in the freezer ( with torch istalled, So when I take it out the pressure in the small tank is low. Works best if the small tank is about 1/4 full.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/15/2016 11:39 AM, unk wrote:
There's a cheap gizmo that purports to let you fill a small propane tank
from your bigger bbq tank.

Are these legit?

Of course they are; I bought one from HF a half-dozen years ago, but
they've been around a lot longer. Hook it up, invert the tank, then
open the valve for a few minutes to let the liquid go in to the smaller
tank.

Just remember that it's not legal (DOT) to transport a refilled
one-pound container.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"unk" wrote in message
There's a cheap gizmo that purports to let you fill a small propane
tank
from your bigger bbq tank.

Are these legit?

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...kit-61555.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 18:29:46 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"unk" wrote in message
There's a cheap gizmo that purports to let you fill a small propane
tank
from your bigger bbq tank.

Are these legit?

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...kit-61555.html

I'll see you and raise you one @ $6.68. http://tinyurl.com/j5r4uny
without the middle man.

I haven't used mine with the new OPD-valved tank yet, but looking at a
bare OPD valve, I see that it will still work with an inverted tank.

How safe is it to use a pair of needle nosed pliers to open the
pressure relief valve to completely fill the small tank? That's the
only "iffy" part, since it's steel on steel with propane gas rushing
past it. Has anyone machined a brass lifter?

--
Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at
a distance but to do what lies clearly at hand.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/15/2016 2:39 PM, unk wrote:
There's a cheap gizmo that purports to let you fill a small propane tank
from your bigger bbq tank.

Are these legit?

I made one years ago by soldering spare connectors together. Depending
upon how much propane you use in a torch, the $18 cost might take a
while to recover.

As Dan said, refilled tanks tend to leak & need to have torches
permanently attached.

The small tanks are labeled "Not for refill" - if that matters to you.

The propane only flows from the large tank to the small one if the
pressure in the large one is greater than it is in the small one. (And
the large tank must be upside down.) Since the propane is liquid in the
tanks, this means that the temperature of the large one must be higher
than the small one.

I'm not sure if OPD tanks will work upside down - anybody know for sure?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 19:41:55 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 3/15/2016 2:39 PM, unk wrote:
[...]

They will not work upside down.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/15/2016 8:20 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 19:41:55 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
I'm not sure if OPD tanks will work upside down - anybody know for sure?

They will not work upside down.

OK, in that case there is another option. Both tanks can be right side
up, but propane gas is transferred, not liquid propane. The pressure
(temperature) in the big tank is greater than the small tank & gas flows
in. It condenses there because of the lower temperature, keeping the
pressure lower. This will take much longer.

The constant evaporation in the big tank and condensation in the small
means that the big tank is cooling and the small heating, lowering the
pressure difference. So, it may be necessary to heat the large & cool
the small while transferring. E.g., large in sun & small in ice bath.

It's beginning to sound like a lot of trouble, isn't it?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 20:56:46 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

[...]

I just have a hose that connects to my 20 lb tank - and my torch
connects directly to the hose. Takes the 1 lb tank and refilling out
of the equation.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There are number of propane torches that screw directly to a 5 gallon
(or bigger) bottle. Some will work with both propane and acytelyne by
simply changing the jet. Some are broad flames, others are pin point.
I have both types. Hoses tend to be about 6' long.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ditto here, but for my single burner camp stove, I want the little
bottles, which provide a stable base. This is my second hose, the
first one lasting 20 years or so. It had ply delamination at the top
end where it was exposed to UV daily for those decades.

--
Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at
a distance but to do what lies clearly at hand.
--Thomas Carlyle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
[...]

The nights are predicted to drop below 20F this weekend. Perhaps you
could insulate the larger tank with bubblewrap etc and leave them out
overnight.
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 8:23:53 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

I'm not sure if OPD tanks will work upside down - anybody know for sure?

Bob

They will not work upside down.

I think some will work and others will not.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 18:00:55 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 8:23:53 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

I'm not sure if OPD tanks will work upside down - anybody know for sure?

Bob

They will not work upside down.

I think some will work and others will not.

Dan

The reason the change over to OPD tanks..was to shut off the fuel if
the tank was in any position other than vertical. This to prevent
fires if the tank got kicked over. There is a float in the bottom of
the new three cornered valve that shuts off the fuel if the tank is
other than vertical. Which makes the capacity of the 5 gallon tank
slightly smaller..I've heard they are 4.5 gallons..but..who knows?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 8:23:53 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

I'm not sure if OPD tanks will work upside down - anybody know for sure?

Bob

They will not work upside down.

I think some will work and others will not.

Dan

The reason the change over to OPD tanks..was to shut off the fuel if
the tank was in any position other than vertical. This to prevent
fires if the tank got kicked over. There is a float in the bottom of
the new three cornered valve that shuts off the fuel if the tank is
other than vertical. Which makes the capacity of the 5 gallon tank
slightly smaller..I've heard they are 4.5 gallons..but..who knows?

OPD is "Overflow Prevention Device", which was an improvement on the old
system by which a tube extended down from the valve to limit the amount
of liquid that could be filled into the tank. Unfortunately, some of
the tubes would slip out (hot/cold cycles), leading to the tanks getting
filled to the top.

I have no trouble refilling my 1# propane tank from the upside-down
larger OPD-equipped tank, maybe some of them use a different mechanism,
I dunno.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 3/15/2016 2:39 PM, unk wrote:
[...]

Are you sure? I haven't tried it yet, but judging by the
configuration, they sure as hell will. They're just like a carb float
valve, so they should allow continuous flow upside down.
http://www.propane101.com/opdcylindervalves.htm

They prevent overfilling by shutting off the inlet when the liquid
propane gets high, just like a carb needle valve.

--
Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at
a distance but to do what lies clearly at hand.
--Thomas Carlyle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 3/15/2016 2:39 PM, unk wrote:
[...]

That's what the one I dismantled looked like.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm not sure if OPD tanks will work upside down - anybody know for sure?

Bob

to clarify..OPD tanks do not work upside down, however forklift tanks
and other similar tanks do not have the OPD valve. I have (1)
standard non OPD tank among a half dozen or so new tanks..which I can
still get filled (filler is a friend) and thats what I use to fill 1
lb tanks. If he leaves..Ill be making an adapter to fill them off the
forklift tanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 3/15/2016 2:39 PM, unk wrote:
[...]

OPD won't work upside down. My experience is "used" 1 lb tanks leak -
forget about refilled.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/15/2016 7:41 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I'm not sure if OPD tanks will work upside down - anybody know for sure?

There are different answers, so I looked into it. OPD's do not retrict
upside down flow. From http://www.propane101.com/opdcylindervalves.htm

quote
Because the OPD valve is not designed to restrict flow out of the
cylinder, it's only designed to stop flow into the cylinder during the
filling process. OPD equipped propane cylinders _will_ allow liquid
propane into gas lines and hoses if tipped over or inverted. Overfill
Prevention Devices are not a safety mechanism used or actuated during
cylinder usage.
/quote

There is another safety feature of OPD's - they prevent flow if nothing
is attached:
quote
OPD valves are also designed to only allow propane into and out of the
bottle if attached to the appropriate hose end connection. ... OPD
valves will not allow propane out of the bottle if it is not hooked up
to anything.
/quote

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 3/15/2016 2:39 PM, unk wrote:
[...]

I generaly rely on one of the almost empty BBQ tanks I buy for $0.50
and a 4 foot adapter hose that usually costs me a buck whenever I need
to use one or more "turbo" torches. Last fall I lucked out and bought
a full five pound bottle for a dollar - when it is empty it will
become my regulated surge tank for an air brush or whatever I need at
the moment.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 3/15/2016 2:39 PM, unk wrote:
[...]

FWIW, my surge tank for an airbrush is an old tire with a Badger
adapter and a Y-fitting. It works well if you don't need more than
around 40 psi, and the total cost was around $4. I've been using it
for around 30 years.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 3/15/2016 2:39 PM, unk wrote:
[...]

Where are you finding the "pucks" (or "curling rocks" for a
buck???? Hardly ever see any of them any more.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 3/15/2016 2:39 PM, unk wrote:
[...]

This one came from an elderly couple's yard sale selling off thier
camping stuff.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 18:39:43 -0000 (UTC), unk wrote:

There's a cheap gizmo that purports to let you fill a small propane tank
from your bigger bbq tank.

Are these legit?

It is ilegal to transport a refilled non-refillable tank.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 8:04:40 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 18:39:43 -0000 (UTC), unk wrote:

There's a cheap gizmo that purports to let you fill a small propane tank
from your bigger bbq tank.

Are these legit?

It is illegal to transport a refilled non-refillable tank.

I guess you are referring to Canada's legal system. However, in America there may be exemptions regarding chemical storage, handling, transportation, and use. This is enforceable under "national code" from the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) or per recognized "material safety data manuals" and is enforceable by local residential code or other authorities.

Various states may delegate recommended code adoption and enforcement authority to subordinate local jurisdictions and there may be exemptions. Some states enforce these codes much less frequently than others.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 18:39:43 -0000 (UTC), unk wrote:

There's a cheap gizmo that purports to let you fill a small propane tank
from your bigger bbq tank.

Are these legit?

no. Here's how to do it correctly.

http://www.neon-john.net/RV/Propane/propane_refill.htm

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

There's a cheap gizmo that purports to let you fill a small propane
tank
from your bigger bbq tank.

Are these legit?

no. Here's how to do it correctly.

http://www.neon-john.net/RV/Propane/propane_refill.htm

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Thanks a lot, John.
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/16/2016 9:22 PM, Neon John wrote:

no. Here's how to do it correctly.

http://www.neon-john.net/RV/Propane/propane_refill.htm

Nice write up

Electrical adaptors Bob H UK diy 22 March 13th 13 11:17 AM
USB Skype Adaptors [email protected] Electronics 0 February 26th 08 03:47 AM
French Adaptors John UK diy 17 May 21st 05 11:57 AM
Adaptors Tony Electronics 3 August 4th 04 02:24 PM
BC to ES Lamp Adaptors . Stuart UK diy 8 January 31st 04 02:28 PM