DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tool for deburring threaded rod (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/387907-tool-deburring-threaded-rod.html)

[email protected] December 10th 15 08:58 PM

Tool for deburring threaded rod

Try uniburr. It chucks up in a drill & puts a nice chamfer on the end

Bob La Londe[_7_] December 10th 15 10:27 PM

wrote in message
Try uniburr. It chucks up in a drill & puts a nice chamfer on the end

Okay. So does that mean I am not allowed to use my bench sander anymore? I
use threaded rod for handles all the time. I just cut it to length on the
bandsaw, and then I flatten any linear burr with the belt sander, and then
spin it against the belt to chamfer the end. Never have any problem
threading it into the part, or threading the handles onto the rod. Total
working length comes out pretty consistent from one to the next.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] December 10th 15 10:47 PM

Tool for deburring threaded rod

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in news:n4cu4e$fko$1
@dont-email.me:

Okay. So does that mean I am not allowed to use my bench sander anymore?

Chuckle! I don't know why folks don't know that trick. I'll even use a
bench grinder to to it (with a gentle touch, wheel moving toward the bitter
end). 'Works every time.

Lloyd

[email protected] December 11th 15 04:39 AM

Tool for deburring threaded rod

:

Okay. So does that mean I am not allowed to use my bench sander anymore?

Chuckle! I don't know why folks don't know that trick. I'll even use a
bench grinder to to it (with a gentle touch, wheel moving toward the bitter
end). 'Works every time.

Lloyd

My preferece is the bench grinder followed by the brush wheel because
that what is available and has wroked for many years.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

mike[_22_] December 11th 15 06:15 AM

On 12/10/2015 8:39 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 16:47:11 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in news:n4cu4e$fko$1
@dont-email.me:

Okay. So does that mean I am not allowed to use my bench sander anymore?

Chuckle! I don't know why folks don't know that trick. I'll even use a
bench grinder to to it (with a gentle touch, wheel moving toward the bitter
end). 'Works every time.

Lloyd

My preferece is the bench grinder followed by the brush wheel because
that what is available and has wroked for many years.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Why do you want to deburr the threaded rod?
Use the method that addresses the problem you're trying to fix.
If you want nuts to go on easily, try running a nut down the rod.
Or a thread restoring die.
Or a threading die.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] December 11th 15 11:48 AM

Tool for deburring threaded rod

mike fired this volley in news:n4dphv$vu4$1@dont-
email.me:

Why do you want to deburr the threaded rod?
Use the method that addresses the problem you're trying to fix.
If you want nuts to go on easily, try running a nut down the rod.
Or a thread restoring die.
Or a threading die.

Who said we weren't doing that? We're talking about restoring a saw-cut
end to a 'clean end'. A file works, too.

Unless you're preserving only enough threads on the end of a shortened
bolt to fully-engage one nut deep, you _always_ thread a nut or die on
before cutting.

I guess cosmetics aren't important to you. They are to me.

Lloyd

Pete Keillor[_2_] December 11th 15 11:59 AM

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 22:15:43 -0800, mike wrote:

On 12/10/2015 8:39 PM, wrote:
[...]

I chamfer the end in addition. Nuts start easier, less subject to
damage (my fingers too), looks better. For small screws and studs, I
chuck them in the driver drill and touch them to the pedestal grinder.

Pete Keillor