Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Odd, to me, thread gauges

I won in an auction for some modern ring gauges for threads a couple
older gauges that were rectangular in shape. I check all the used
thread gauges I buy using the three wire method for plug gauges and a
ball with an indicator, surface plate and gauge blocks for ring type.
I never bother with checking the minor or major diameter sizes because
these surfaces should never experience wear. I do measure them to use
as a reference diameter in order to check the pitch on ring gauges but
don't check the size against what it should be according to
Machinery's Handbok. But the other day I was cutting some 3/4-10
threads and the modern ring gauge threaded on no problem. For a whim I
tried the old rectangular gauge and it would not thread on. I had
checked the pitch diameter on this gauge so I thought it was good.
Checking the gauge again, this time checking the minor diameter, I
find that the minor diameter is way too small. Looking more carefully
at the gauge I see it is stamped 3/4-10 U.S.S. and looking online I
find that U.S.S. stands for United States Standard. This standard
preceded the UN standard. I have never cut threads to the U.S.S.
standard except maybe by accident. The flat or radius it allows in the
vee of the thread is too small for the proper thread strength. I have
two of these gauges so I am going to hone the minor diameter on each
so that they agree with the UN standard. If they weren't in such good
shape I would just toss them.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 09:31:31 -0800, wrote:

[...]

I remember seeing USS many years back. But all my tools from Searz,
MAC, SnapOff, and Cornwell were all built to current standards, UNC
and UNF, so I never had a problem.

USS, UNC, UNF, Metric, ACME, Whitworth...what a blast they are! sigh
Early US metric, old cheap Japanese metric, and new cheap Chinese
metric can be fun, too.

preceded the UN standard. I have never cut threads to the U.S.S.
standard except maybe by accident. The flat or radius it allows in the
vee of the thread is too small for the proper thread strength. I have
two of these gauges so I am going to hone the minor diameter on each
so that they agree with the UN standard. If they weren't in such good
shape I would just toss them.

Just be sure you stamp them NC/NF as necessary, so it doesn't confuse
you (or later inheritors) at a later date.

Has anyone here used UNEF? (extra fine. I just discovered it today.)

I wonder what Czech tractors use. (this just in)
http://www.gizmag.com/pininfarina-de...tractor/40409/

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
[...]

The thread on an F connector is 3/8-32 UNEF.

Lamp fittings are 1/8 or 1/4 NPS, straight (untapered) pipe thread.
Old gas fittings were 3/8".
http://lighting.about.com/od/Fixtures/ss/A-Hickey.htm

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Sure they werent set up as No Go gauges? Are they
expandable/adjustable as many ring gauges are?

Most shops use red paint for No Go and Green for Go, with the odd shop
using yellow for Almost Go.

If they ARE accurate for USS threads..why not put them on Ebay and buy
what you can use with the proceeds?

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 17:55:50 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

[...]

And yall think we have thread problems...

http://www.enginehistory.org/british_fasteners.shtml

http://www.enginehistory.org/BSFaste...eference_3.pdf

As I recall..there are some 83 or so British thread forms and types

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, those li'l effers -are- pretty fine, aren't they?

Lamp fittings are 1/8 or 1/4 NPS, straight (untapered) pipe thread.
Old gas fittings were 3/8".
http://lighting.about.com/od/Fixtures/ss/A-Hickey.htm

I'll be damned! I'll bet this is where the term "doohickey" came
from.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 23:32:13 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:
--snip--
And yall think we have thread problems...

http://www.enginehistory.org/british_fasteners.shtml

http://www.enginehistory.org/BSFaste...eference_3.pdf

Cool story. Merlins used SU carbs? sigh

As I recall..there are some 83 or so British thread forms and types

Until the Great Unifier, Whitworth, wot?

-------
This just in:
Beretta 25 cal Jet-Fire

I cannot believe that this small caliber pistol protected this lady.
Read..and take heed !

South Carolina woman stops alligator attack with a small Beretta
pistol This is a story of self-control and marksmanship by a brave,
cool-headed woman with a small pistol against a fierce predator!

What is the smallest caliber that you would trust to protect yourself?
A Beretta Jet-Fire testimonial...
Here is her story in her own words:
"While out walking along the edge of a lake on Hilton Head Island in
an alligator infested area with my soon to be ex-husband discussing
property settlement and other divorce issues, we were surprised by a
huge 12-ft. alligator which suddenly emerged from the murky water and
began charging us with its large jaws wide open.

"She must have been protecting her nest because she was extremely
aggressive. If I had not had my little Beretta Jetfire .25 caliber
pistol with me, I would not be here today!
"Just one shot to my estranged husband's knee cap was all it took. He
hit the ground hard ! The gator got him easily and I was able to
escape by just walking away at a brisk pace. It's one of the best
pistols in my collection! Plus the amount I saved in lawyer’s fees was
really incredible."

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 12:56:09 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

After I hone the ID on each gauge they will be meeting the UN standard
so I will then obliterate the U.S.S. stamping and mark them UN.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

New cheap Chinese metric... egad! I recently was working on re-retrofitting
a CNC mill based off a Chinese import, and found almost none of the socket
head fasteners were a good fit for either metric of franctional hex keys.
I've got fairly complete sets. For one particular screw I went threw every
wrench on the drawer that was close, and none fit right. As a small screw
you can't fudge much either. It will just round out. Finally I picked up a
cheap folding set in the back of the drawer that I had marked as bad with a
paint marker some 20+ years ago because not a single hex wrench in it fit
anything properly. It had perfect fits keys for almost every fastener on
this mill.

What's interesting is the mill came with a set of tools for service which
included hex keys. Not a single one of them was a perfect fit for any
fastner on the machine either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You'll adjust the ID and tooth radius/depth to meet Unified stds?
Lotta work, that.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thread gauges don't measure the radius at the thread root or crest,
only the pitch. The gauge has a flat at the thread crest. The corners
of the flat correspond to the points where a radius at the thread root
is tangent to the sides of the thread. A UN thread can have either a
flat or a radius at the thread root. So all I need to do is lap the
thread I.D.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Eric, you're right. I had lost the thread, evidently thinking along
the lines of taps and dies, not gauges.

Height Gauges Denis M Woodworking 0 January 7th 11 04:06 PM
Screw Thread Gauges Searcher7 Metalworking 14 December 9th 10 09:36 PM
Machine Thread to Wood Thread Dowel Screw Fred UK diy 6 August 30th 10 08:46 PM
Another 4-start thread question - 1/4" internal thread SJ Metalworking 5 April 19th 06 07:53 AM
Questions regarding thread diameter and pitch for special design case with limited thread length John2005 Metalworking 14 January 21st 06 04:28 AM