Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
A2 A2 is offline

Default Question for our plastics or molding experts - epoxy casting molds

I'm working on a job where we are epoxy encapsulating some electronics.

My question - what to use for a pilot production mold?

Option 1.
---------
Aluminum
CNC cut pockets
Dowels adjacent recess to locate frame that aligns electronics to 0.5mm
Release coated mold - PTFE / Teflon?
Use release agent? Hope to avoid.

Option 2.
---------
Plastic mold
CNC cut pockets in a ~30mm thick slab
Dowels adjacent recess to locate frame that aligns the electronics.
Is there a plastic that epoxy won't stick to - no release agent needed?
Nylon? UHMWPE? Maybe $$ Teflon?
I imagine a silicone or urethane mold may not be rigid enough.

Any suggestions? Recommendations?
Thanks!

Background:
Prototypes have been cast in a mold made from epoxy and a aerosol mold
release used. It works ok, we ended up making the mold 2 parts as the
completed parts were a little hard to remove.

*The electronics is sat into a 130mm x 50mm x 20mm (5"x2"x3/4") mold
*Their is heaps of draft on the mold for easing release.
*Epoxy poured into the mold.
*After 24 hours they are de-molded.

*These will be made in batches of say 30 to 100 at a time.
*We are happy Doing say 6 at a time with a 24 hr turn around.
*Mold may be 6 units wide or 6 individual molds.