Posted to alt.home.repair
The Chairman

Default Any moulding (molding) experts out there?

Hi all,

I live in a 1920s Craftsman style house in the Los Angeles area. We have
to replace some moulding around our windows, but can't seem to find it
anywhere in stock.

I have seen in a quite a few houses in the area, so I'm pretty surprised
that we haven't found it anywhere. For the length that we need (20 - 25
feet) the setup fees get pretty out of hand ($200 and up.)

Any one out there that might be able to help us locate it in stock? Here
is a link to the profile with measurements:

http://www.ryanposner.net/house/moulding_profile_s.jpg

Thanks a lot for your time!

Ryan
North Hollywood, CA
Posted to alt.home.repair
nothermark

On Thu, 04 May 2006 01:12:22 GMT, The Chairman
wrote:

Hi all,

I live in a 1920s Craftsman style house in the Los Angeles area. We have
to replace some moulding around our windows, but can't seem to find it
anywhere in stock.

I have seen in a quite a few houses in the area, so I'm pretty surprised
that we haven't found it anywhere. For the length that we need (20 - 25
feet) the setup fees get pretty out of hand ($200 and up.)

Any one out there that might be able to help us locate it in stock? Here
is a link to the profile with measurements:

http://www.ryanposner.net/house/moulding_profile_s.jpg

Thanks a lot for your time!

Ryan
North Hollywood, CA

I would guess that it was site made with a table saw. Look at the
profile. Looks like a dado cut channel then a series of saw cuts to
define the shape. The puzzle is the channel by the 3/8 face. Is that
needed or a byproduct of the saw? The tricky part is the order the
cuts are made in. You have to leave an adequate bearing surface to
support the stock after the waste is cut off. I'd start by drawing a
rectangle around the cross section to get the stock size. The cut
order was probably something like:

1 rip the channel in maybe two passes to get the width.

2 cut the 1/4 faces to the channel

3 set a feather board to bear on the channel and push the stock
against the fence while cutting the 1/2 & 5/16 faces.

4 use the 15/16 face to bear on while ripping the 3/8 and 3/4 faces.

saw angle is probably 45 deg for all cuts after the dado.

I printed the picture and did a quick scale - looks like it was old
style 1" lumber at 15/16 thick. I would start with today's 5/4 stock.
The original was probably finished with a scraper but you might find
it cleaner to rough the channel with a dado and then do a light pass
over a router bit to get a better surface in the channel. The rest of
it should cut well and only need a light sanding or scraping if you
have a decent saw blade.

Matching exactly can be labor intensive. OTOH if you make it close
and do all new on one window and all old on another it will be very
hard to see the difference between windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

The Chairman wrote:
Hi all,

I live in a 1920s Craftsman style house in the Los Angeles area. We have
to replace some moulding around our windows, but can't seem to find it
anywhere in stock.

I have seen in a quite a few houses in the area, so I'm pretty surprised
that we haven't found it anywhere. For the length that we need (20 - 25
feet) the setup fees get pretty out of hand ($200 and up.)

Any one out there that might be able to help us locate it in stock? Here
is a link to the profile with measurements:

http://www.ryanposner.net/house/moulding_profile_s.jpg

That's an unusual profile. Not sure what that cove/flute is, if that
is what it is, on the back side. In any event, if you can't locate it
I'd pop for the setup charge and have it done. Doing it yourself
involves too much work for such a small amount of material.

Posted to alt.home.repair
The Chairman

nothermark wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

needed or a byproduct of the saw? SNIP

Wow. Thanks for the awesome detailed instructions. I can definetly
envision how it would be made now. I might bust out the table saw and
give it a shot. Or, I might just pony up the dough and get some custom
stock made. You want any? ;-)

I really can't tell what the channel is. It's on all the moulding
throughout the house, but you certainly never see it.

Matching exactly can be labor intensive. OTOH if you make it close
and do all new on one window and all old on another it will be very
hard to see the difference between windows.

Yeah, we were even thinking about using some current profiles that are
out there, but I think that we don't want to lame out that way.

Again, thanks for the awesome instructions. I appreciate your effort.
I'll let you know my results, if I give it a go.

Ryan

Posted to alt.home.repair
nothermark

On 5 May 2006 20:03:09 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

The Chairman wrote:
Hi all,

I live in a 1920s Craftsman style house in the Los Angeles area. We have
to replace some moulding around our windows, but can't seem to find it
anywhere in stock.

I have seen in a quite a few houses in the area, so I'm pretty surprised
that we haven't found it anywhere. For the length that we need (20 - 25
feet) the setup fees get pretty out of hand ($200 and up.)

Any one out there that might be able to help us locate it in stock? Here
is a link to the profile with measurements:

http://www.ryanposner.net/house/moulding_profile_s.jpg

That's an unusual profile. Not sure what that cove/flute is, if that
is what it is, on the back side. In any event, if you can't locate it
I'd pop for the setup charge and have it done. Doing it yourself
involves too much work for such a small amount of material.

I don't know what the setup charge is but I'm assuming a custom knife
is $50 - $100 plus a couple of hours billable labor plus the cost of
the stock. If you do it yourself you will still buy the stock.
Otherwise my rule of thumb is half my hourly rate (my share after tax)
divided into the estimate. That gives me how many hours I have to
work to pay them. Can I do it in enough less time to do it cheaper?

If I was doing it I do think I would run off enough extra that I would
not plan on doing it again as the setup is the most of the labor.

I would also no worry about the groove in the back. You will either
find out why it's there on the first window or it won't matter. If
you need it it does not look critical so you can still cut it. As I
look at it I wonder if it is an edge to overhang the wall. If this is
window trim and the 15/16 flat goes flat on the casing it would allow
the casing to b slightly below the wall. The profile really looks
like a cove moulding that would bear on the 3/4 and 3/8 faces so I am
guessing. ;-)