DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chinese factory (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/382181-chinese-factory.html)

[email protected] August 11th 15 02:13 PM

Chinese factory

Information
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/48238331.cms

Ignoramus29244 August 11th 15 04:16 PM

Chinese factory

On 2015-08-11, wrote:
Information
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/48238331.cms

I love this statistic:

``...Since the robots came to the plant the defect rate of products
has dropped from over 25 per cent to less than 5 per cent...''

Comments welcome

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] August 11th 15 04:32 PM

Chinese factory

Ignoramus29244 fired this volley in
:

``...Since the robots came to the plant the defect rate of products
has dropped from over 25 per cent to less than 5 per cent...''

Comments welcome

Obviously, it's because the robots "do what they're told" instead of
"doing what they want to do"! G

What's missing in all that is that NO plant is TOTALLY automated. There
have to be people there (at the very least) to monitor the operation, and
handle repairs. We aren't quite yet at the point where the robots will
also do their own maintenance.

What's fishy about the claim of defect rate, is that any plant turning
out 25% defective product could never have remained in business long
enough to automate!

Lloyd

Gunner Asch[_6_] August 11th 15 05:08 PM

Chinese factory

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:32:58 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus29244 fired this volley in
:

``...Since the robots came to the plant the defect rate of products
has dropped from over 25 per cent to less than 5 per cent...''

Comments welcome

Obviously, it's because the robots "do what they're told" instead of
"doing what they want to do"! G

What's missing in all that is that NO plant is TOTALLY automated. There
have to be people there (at the very least) to monitor the operation, and
handle repairs. We aren't quite yet at the point where the robots will
also do their own maintenance.

What's fishy about the claim of defect rate, is that any plant turning
out 25% defective product could never have remained in business long
enough to automate!

Lloyd

Actually not true. Government subsidies cover a multitude of sins

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 11th 15 05:23 PM

Chinese factory

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:16:31 -0500, Ignoramus29244

On 2015-08-11, wrote:
Information
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/48238331.cms

I love this statistic:

``...Since the robots came to the plant the defect rate of products
has dropped from over 25 per cent to less than 5 per cent...''

Comments welcome

First, I can't see India ever allowing an unmanned factory anywhere
in their country. They have some of the cheapest labor available
anywhere and hundreds of millons of poor to feed.

Second, is a company admitting to a 1:4 failure rate. Ghastly.
Haven't they heard of "training" and/or "Quality Control"?

Third is "down to 5%"? thud

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] August 11th 15 05:24 PM

Chinese factory

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Third is "down to 5%"? thud

Fourth, "INDIA"???? Really, Larry?

Lloyd

Ed Huntress August 11th 15 05:44 PM

Chinese factory

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 09:08:33 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

It isn't "subsidies." There are some processes that produce scrap
rates on that order. At one time, single-crystal turbine blades had
about a 30% acceptance rate. It's near 100% now, but it was still
worthwhile at 30%.

Some high-quality investment castings turn out 25% or more scrap. And
there are others. Some semiconductors have very high scrap rates.

There still are processes that are too expensive, or impossible, to
control to the scrap rates generally acceptable in industry today.
They tend to be very specialized.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress August 11th 15 08:06 PM

Chinese factory

On 2015-08-11, wrote:
Information
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/48238331.cms

I love this statistic:

``...Since the robots came to the plant the defect rate of products
has dropped from over 25 per cent to less than 5 per cent...''

Comments welcome

Robotics in some processes reduce scrap rates on that order of
magnitude, but I'm suspicious of the whole story. I'd have to see what
they're doing to "polish modules" with those robot arms to believe it.

--
Ed Huntress

David R. Birch August 11th 15 09:21 PM

Chinese factory

On 8/11/2015 11:44 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

It isn't "subsidies." There are some processes that produce scrap
rates on that order. At one time, single-crystal turbine blades had
about a 30% acceptance rate. It's near 100% now, but it was still
worthwhile at 30%.

I worked on some cabinet doors machined from a large aluminum casting.
We rejected about half for porosity which we couldn't find until we did
a lot of cutting.

Some high-quality investment castings turn out 25% or more scrap. And
there are others. Some semiconductors have very high scrap rates.

There still are processes that are too expensive, or impossible, to
control to the scrap rates generally acceptable in industry today.
They tend to be very specialized.

Another job involved SS bearing housings that had one end cut in one
turning center, the second in another. Concentricity from one end to the
other had to be +/-.0002". We were rejecting 35% when I discovered a
fundamental flaw in the inspection process: before checking
concentricity, we would wipe the part with a pink cloth shop rag. One
night, I used white paper towels. 5% reject rate. Same the next night,
while the day guy still got 35%. I mentioned it to the inspection dept.
They pointed out that I was not following procedure. I said we had been
out of shop rags, which was true the first night. Shortly thereafter,
procedure was changed to require use of white paper towels. Inspection
dept took credit, no attaboy.

David

Ed Huntress August 11th 15 09:50 PM

Chinese factory

On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 15:21:07 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

[...]

Imagine if it had been toilet paper, and it became part of your ISO
9000 documents. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

David R. Birch August 12th 15 12:36 AM

Chinese factory

On 8/11/2015 3:50 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

This was a bit before the ISO fad, it was near the start of the SPC fad.

David

[email protected] August 12th 15 02:06 PM

Chinese factory

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 11:33:01 AM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

What's missing in all that is that NO plant is TOTALLY automated. There
have to be people there (at the very least) to monitor the operation, and
handle repairs. We aren't quite yet at the point where the robots will
also do their own maintenance.

Lloyd

Nucor has a couple of fastener plants that come close to being TOTALLY automated. They run three shifts and the graveyard shift runs totally automated. They have automated the monitoring. If something goes wrong , the machine shuts down and it gets fixed on the next shift.

Dan

Jim Wilkins[_2_] August 12th 15 02:32 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

What's missing in all that is that NO plant is TOTALLY automated.
There
have to be people there (at the very least) to monitor the
operation, and
handle repairs. We aren't quite yet at the point where the robots
will
also do their own maintenance.

Lloyd

Nucor has a couple of fastener plants that come close to being TOTALLY
automated. They run three shifts and the graveyard shift runs totally
automated. They have automated the monitoring. If something goes
wrong , the machine shuts down and it gets fixed on the next shift.

Dan
=========================

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lights_out_(manufacturing)
"FANUC, the Japanese robotics company, has been operating a "lights
out" factory for robots since 2001. Robots are building other robots
at a rate of about 50 per 24-hour shift and can run unsupervised for
as long as 30 days at a time. "Not only is it lights-out," says Fanuc
vice president Gary Zywiol, "we turn off the air conditioning and heat
too."

American inventor Oliver Evans built the world's first fully automated
factory:
http://www.farmcollector.com/equipme...rist-mill.aspx
"In the 1780s, Evans built a completely automatic grist mill in New
Castle County, Del. Powered by a water wheel, the mill was the first
continuous flow, production line mill in the world. An English book of
the day described the mill: "Mr. Oliver Evans, an ingenious American,
has invented ... a flour mill upon a curious construction which,
without the assistance of manual labor, first conveys the grain ... to
the upper floor, where it is cleaned. Thence it descends to the
hopper, and after being ground in the usual way, the flour is conveyed
to the upper floor, where, by a simple and ingenious contrivance, it
is spread, cooled, and gradually made to pass to the boulting hopper."
The product wasn't touched by human hands from the time the grain was
dumped into the receiving hopper until the finished flour flowed into
a bin ready for packing into barrels or bags."

The sole operator handled shipping and receiving.

-jsw

Ed Huntress August 12th 15 02:50 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

[...]

Fanuc was running the first modern lights-out factory, building wire
EDMs, from around 1991. It worked very well but I don't know how
cost-effective it was. One guy monitored the whole thing, walking
about with a lighted clipboard. They built it partly as a
demonstration of what they could do with their robots and networked
CNCs at the time.

There is enough lights-out activity going on that my publishing group
made a prototype of a new magazine, called _Lights-Out Manufacturing_,
four years ago. We decided that there wasn't enough editorial material
to sustain a full-scale magazine at that time, but there is activity.

--
Ed Huntress

Neon John August 12th 15 03:33 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

``...Since the robots came to the plant the defect rate of products
has dropped from over 25 per cent to less than 5 per cent...''

Thus defines the term "chinese junk"!!! We use a US box builder to
actually manufacture our products. The after-burn-in defect rate
they're held to is 0.1%. They're at least an order of magnitude
better.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.fluxeon.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Ed Huntress August 12th 15 04:29 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

``...Since the robots came to the plant the defect rate of products
has dropped from over 25 per cent to less than 5 per cent...''

Thus defines the term "chinese junk"!!! We use a US box builder to
actually manufacture our products. The after-burn-in defect rate
they're held to is 0.1%. They're at least an order of magnitude
better.

John

John DeArmond

But John, it isn't clear what kind of process they're talking about --
whether it's some group of processes, or just polishing that
cell-phone "module."

I'd want to know more before getting critical about it. For reference,
when P&W started making their single-crystal jet-turbine blades, the
reject rate was 70%. But their performance was so much better than the
blades they made previously that it was worth it.

There are some needs for parts in production that can barely be met by
the best known or best practical processes -- they have low Cp or Cpk,
if you're into that stuff. There are other processes where the
material is so cheap (plastic phone cases) where a high reject rate
isn't much of a hardship, compared to the cost of improving the
process.

We're so locked into sigma values over 4 these days that we sometimes
forget that there are some things that, in practice, we can barely
make to spec no matter what we use. But they can be things that we
really need.

--
Ed Huntress

[email protected] August 12th 15 05:03 PM

Chinese factory

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 11:30:12 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

There are other processes where the
material is so cheap (plastic phone cases) where a high reject rate
isn't much of a hardship, compared to the cost of improving the
process.

Ed Huntress

Or like using aluminum for pickups............... Rejects and scrap just get recycled.

Dan

Jim Wilkins[_2_] August 12th 15 05:37 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

``...Since the robots came to the plant the defect rate of products
has dropped from over 25 per cent to less than 5 per cent...''

Thus defines the term "chinese junk"!!! We use a US box builder to
actually manufacture our products. The after-burn-in defect rate
they're held to is 0.1%. They're at least an order of magnitude
better.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.fluxeon.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

I used to design burn-in and production test equipment. What kind of
failures do you see?

-jsw

Ignoramus28978 August 12th 15 07:37 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

``...Since the robots came to the plant the defect rate of products
has dropped from over 25 per cent to less than 5 per cent...''

Thus defines the term "chinese junk"!!! We use a US box builder to
actually manufacture our products. The after-burn-in defect rate
they're held to is 0.1%. They're at least an order of magnitude
better.

Finally someone saw that statement for what it REALLY means!

25% defect rate? ****!!!

Ed Huntress August 12th 15 10:21 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

``...Since the robots came to the plant the defect rate of products
has dropped from over 25 per cent to less than 5 per cent...''

Thus defines the term "chinese junk"!!! We use a US box builder to
actually manufacture our products. The after-burn-in defect rate
they're held to is 0.1%. They're at least an order of magnitude
better.

Finally someone saw that statement for what it REALLY means!

25% defect rate? ****!!!

I tracked this story back to it's source: People's Daily. It's
virtually the same story.

I have no confidence that People's Daily got the story right.

--
Ed Huntress

john B. August 13th 15 01:20 AM

Chinese factory

wrote:

``...Since the robots came to the plant the defect rate of products
has dropped from over 25 per cent to less than 5 per cent...''

Thus defines the term "chinese junk"!!! We use a US box builder to
actually manufacture our products. The after-burn-in defect rate
they're held to is 0.1%. They're at least an order of magnitude
better.

Finally someone saw that statement for what it REALLY means!

25% defect rate? ****!!!

But, your labour cost is $15/hour, theirs is $15/day :-)

If a worker can make 10 pieces a day it cost you $120 to make 10
units. It costs them $15 to make 10 units. they throw 25% away so
individual unit cost is $2.00 while your's is $12.00. they sell theirs
with 100% mark up for 4 dollars. You go belly up.

--
cheers,

John B.

Jon Anderson[_3_] August 13th 15 08:17 AM

Chinese factory

On 8/13/2015 10:20 AM, John B. wrote:

If a worker can make 10 pieces a day it cost you $120 to make 10
units. It costs them $15 to make 10 units. they throw 25% away so
individual unit cost is $2.00 while your's is $12.00. they sell theirs
with 100% mark up for 4 dollars. You go belly up.

--
cheers,

John B.

I remember a post in alt.machines.cnc, someone relating a story about
making boatloads of small brass parts for a customer. By the barrel
full. Customer goes to China to get them for some significant amount
less. First delivery shows up and roughly half the parts are scrap, out
of tolerance.
Company complains, China factory says they'll make twice as many, same
total price. And yea, the US company set up an inspection line to sort
good from bad... Forgive if I got it a bit wrong, this was years ago.

Jon

john B. August 13th 15 12:02 PM

Chinese factory

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 17:17:12 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

[...]

I suspect that is true.

Cummins Diesel set up a plant in China probably fifteen years ago.
They were selling the Chinese made engines in Singapore for the same
price as those that were made in the U.S. I happened to know the
Manager of Caterpillar Tractors, Singapore pretty well and asked him
about the engines and he reckoned that they were up to Cummins
standards. I asked him how he could say that, "they are made in China
for God's sake", and he told me that they did it the same way that
Caterpillar had done it. You put in your managers and your inspectors
and you check everything twice, just as Cat had done at their plant in
Indonesia.

If you go to China and say, "Make me a thousand of these for the
cheapest price you can", you will get cheap parts. If you go to China
and say, "I want you to make me a thousand and I am going to check
every one and I'll only pay for the ones that pass inspection", you
get a higher price but the parts will meet your specs.

I might say that nobody in Asia ever pays for anything before it is
done and checked....
--
cheers,

John B.

Spehro Pefhany August 14th 15 05:00 PM

Chinese factory

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 07:20:08 +0700, John B.
wrote:

But, your labour cost is $15/hour, theirs is $15/day :-)

If a worker can make 10 pieces a day it cost you $120 to make 10
units. It costs them $15 to make 10 units. they throw 25% away so
individual unit cost is $2.00 while your's is $12.00. they sell theirs
with 100% mark up for 4 dollars. You go belly up.

--
cheers,

John B.

It was stated as "polishing". Maybe they just send 25% back for a bit
of rework. Not enough information.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany August 14th 15 05:04 PM

Chinese factory

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 18:02:08 +0700, John B.
wrote:

If you go to China and say, "Make me a thousand of these for the
cheapest price you can", you will get cheap parts. If you go to China
and say, "I want you to make me a thousand and I am going to check
every one and I'll only pay for the ones that pass inspection", you
get a higher price but the parts will meet your specs.

I might say that nobody in Asia ever pays for anything before it is
done and checked....
--
cheers,

John B.

Long ago, a very wise trader once told me that he could go to Japan
and negotiate a $100 product down to $75 and they'd make exactly the
same product with the same quality and sell it to him for $75. Do that
in China and they'll find a way to make a $75 product for you.

My subsequent experience confirmed that, but of course paying more in
itself is no guarantee.

--sp

Ed Huntress August 14th 15 07:07 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

But, your labour cost is $15/hour, theirs is $15/day :-)

If a worker can make 10 pieces a day it cost you $120 to make 10
units. It costs them $15 to make 10 units. they throw 25% away so
individual unit cost is $2.00 while your's is $12.00. they sell theirs
with 100% mark up for 4 dollars. You go belly up.

--
cheers,

John B.

It was stated as "polishing". Maybe they just send 25% back for a bit
of rework. Not enough information.

Exactly.

--
Ed Huntress

john B. August 15th 15 01:47 AM

Chinese factory

wrote:

But, your labour cost is $15/hour, theirs is $15/day :-)

If a worker can make 10 pieces a day it cost you $120 to make 10
units. It costs them $15 to make 10 units. they throw 25% away so
individual unit cost is $2.00 while your's is $12.00. they sell theirs
with 100% mark up for 4 dollars. You go belly up.

--
cheers,

John B.

It was stated as "polishing". Maybe they just send 25% back for a bit
of rework. Not enough information.

--sp

Yes, I read that. But as far as I can tell the article was originally
written in Chinese and the "polishing", that several have mentioned,
may simply be the translation of a word that can mean several things,
one of which is "polish". Think of the common U.S. use of "Cool" or
"Tactical" - I recently saw an advert for a pocket knife being a
"tactical color", i.e. black, and I can't even imagine how the phrase,
"Oh Man, it is Soooo cool" would turn out when translated to Chinese
:-)
--
cheers,

John B.

john B. August 15th 15 02:02 AM

Chinese factory

wrote:

[...]

The furore a while back about the dolls painted with lead based paint
is very likely an example. The Buyer, who is probably not an expert in
anything, contracts to "make us some blue dolls" and the Chinese
company does exactly they.

Than there is all kinds of Hell raised about the lead based paint, but
the Chinese company did exactly as ordered. Blue dolls were ordered
and blue dolls were supplied. :-)

And before someone comes up with the "they should have known" argument
I can tell you that when an international oil company writes a
contract to build, say a pipeline or an off shore platform, the paint,
if any, is spelled out in great deal - the type of paint, the color,
complete with a color chart reference, the type and quantity of
ingredients in the paint and the number of coats and thickness of each
coat, and often a specific reference - "XYZ company Ultra Protection
Enamel, or equal", for example.
--
cheers,

John B.

Ed Huntress August 15th 15 04:22 AM

Chinese factory

wrote:

[...]

That's an interesting thought, and a possibility, but as I mentioned,
the original article was published in the English edition of the
People's Daily -- which prints the government line. Without getting
too involved with it, the entire newspaper is dedicated NOT to
informative journalism, but to communicate *ideas* the government of
China wants people to hear.

Details like accuracy and technical understanding are not exactly high
priorities. The way it was written, it sounds like something written
by a general assignment reporter.

I agree with Spehro that there is not enough information here to judge
the case. I also suspect that the story is not very accurate.

--
Ed Huntress

john B. August 15th 15 12:20 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

[...]

Well of course. Whoever would want to sponsor a news outlet that
didn't print what they wished it to print. Or perhaps to put it in
more capitalistic terms, do writers pan the product of their largest
advertiser?

Details like accuracy and technical understanding are not exactly high
priorities. The way it was written, it sounds like something written
by a general assignment reporter.

That is probably the norm in many (most?) newspapers. The Bangkok Post
had, for a time, a sub-editor of the weekly published Computer
Section, who was firstly a computer nut and secondly sensible enough
to contract outsiders to write technical articles. The Sub-Editor
retired and the Computer Section became the Technical Section and now
prints copies of reviews of hand phones :-(

Ed Huntress August 15th 15 02:43 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

[...]

It depends on the quality of the publication. I've had advertisers
pull out on two occassions over things I've written -- one was a
$40,000 program, back in the late '70s, when that was real money --
and my publishers have backed me on both occasions. Writers know
exactly what the level of journalistic integrity is for the publishers
in their field, and I've only worked for the best.

In the 1930's, a few employees died on the job at National Steel Co.
(Pittsburgh), and American Machinist (my old employer) blasted
National Steel for not caring about the lives of their employees.

The executives of Nat. Steel demanded a meeting with the Editor and
publisher of AM, so they went out there by train, top hats and all.
When they walked into the meeting, the AM publisher spoke first:
"We've come here for one purpose," he said. "It's to inform you that
we con't accept advertising from murderers." With that, they turned
around, walked out, and went home to New York.

It was 20 years before National Steel was allowed to advertise in AM
again. AM was that powerful, and a big part of it was their reputation
for integrity, accuracy, and fearlessness.

In the case of People's Daily, it's only nominally a journalistic
enterprise. It's really Communist Party PR. Writing the wrong thing
for them probably could get you "disappeared." g

Details like accuracy and technical understanding are not exactly high
priorities. The way it was written, it sounds like something written
by a general assignment reporter.

That is probably the norm in many (most?) newspapers. The Bangkok Post
had, for a time, a sub-editor of the weekly published Computer
Section, who was firstly a computer nut and secondly sensible enough
to contract outsiders to write technical articles. The Sub-Editor
retired and the Computer Section became the Technical Section and now
prints copies of reviews of hand phones :-(

Good beat reporters are hard to come by. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner Asch[_6_] August 16th 15 06:17 AM

Chinese factory

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 06:06:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 11:33:01 AM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

What's missing in all that is that NO plant is TOTALLY automated. There
have to be people there (at the very least) to monitor the operation, and
handle repairs. We aren't quite yet at the point where the robots will
also do their own maintenance.

Lloyd

Nucor has a couple of fastener plants that come close to being TOTALLY automated. They run three shifts and the graveyard shift runs totally automated. They have automated the monitoring. If something goes wrong , the machine shuts down and it gets fixed on the next shift.

Dan

Ayup..."lights out machining" is quite common and gaining popularity.

Gunner Asch[_6_] August 16th 15 06:19 AM

Chinese factory

wrote:

[...]

Quite true. Though to be fair..the slopes are getting much...much
better at doing high quality work.

john B. August 16th 15 08:00 AM

Chinese factory

wrote:

[...]

Exactly. And while Nat. steel might have been a major advertising
client I suspect that your Editors had decided that honesty was really
the best path to riches.

The company I worked for in Indonesia had exactly the same view point.
In fact we gloried in telling the truth (and early on we got caught
lying and it cost us a bundle to repair the problem) but my,
admittedly limited, experience is that this altitude is less than
universal. The Hearst and Pulitzer newspapers and the Spanish-American
War come to mind here.

[...]

I don't believe that being "disappeared" is quite prevalent as it
might used to have been but if you were to write an article that the
government doesn't like in the Singapore Straits Times you will get
fired (The Singapore government owns a considerable portion of the
parent holding company). If you wrote an article in a Jakarta
newspaper that the government didn't like you might find that your
apportionment of news print, might not be delivered. And so on :-)

Details like accuracy and technical understanding are not exactly high
priorities. The way it was written, it sounds like something written
by a general assignment reporter.

That is probably the norm in many (most?) newspapers. The Bangkok Post
had, for a time, a sub-editor of the weekly published Computer
Section, who was firstly a computer nut and secondly sensible enough
to contract outsiders to write technical articles. The Sub-Editor
retired and the Computer Section became the Technical Section and now
prints copies of reviews of hand phones :-(

Good beat reporters are hard to come by. d8-)

The Pattaya newspaper recently reported that a Chinese tourist was
found dead on the beach resulting in much furor. Two days later the
police reported that she actually died and was found on the balcony of
a condo owned by a female business associate and that she had
complained of stomach pains on arrival in Thailand and visited a
doctor or clinic and was given "some pills" before setting out for
Pattaya and that the police were not discussing a cause of death until
after the autopsy.
:-)

--
cheers,

John B.

john B. August 16th 15 12:19 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

[...]

Back in the early days "Made in Japan" was a synonym for "junk". Now
it is a mark of high quality and the same thing is true of Korea, who
now are the largest ship builders in the world, and I think that the
Chinese are even smarter as they initially started with essentially
low tech manufacturing and got the money just rolling in. Now, I
suspect, they will start improving the quality of certain items and
raising prices. They just devaluated their currency which makes their
exports even cheaper and should increase sales greatly while
essentially having no effect on their own people.
--
cheers,

John B.

Gunner Asch[_6_] August 16th 15 10:08 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

[...]

Good post! Well stated!

I should mention that I work on Chinese industrial equipment and most
made in the past 10 yrs..is every bit as good as Japanese.

Spehro Pefhany August 17th 15 06:27 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

"Oh Man, it is Soooo cool" would turn out when translated to Chinese
:-)

Niu bi! (or in mixed company just niu)

(literall translation- 'Cow c*nt'). The second character rarely even
appears in print - even in older dictionaries. Slang does not
translate literally..

--sp

Spehro Pefhany August 17th 15 06:33 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

In the case of People's Daily, it's only nominally a journalistic
enterprise. It's really Communist Party PR. Writing the wrong thing
for them probably could get you "disappeared." g

Unless it's national security related it would probably be similar to
what would happen if a Fox News reporter heaped praise on Nancy
Peolosi.

Abrupt and irrevocable truncation of one's career at that particular
establishment.

--sp

Spehro Pefhany August 17th 15 06:52 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 11:33:01 AM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

What's missing in all that is that NO plant is TOTALLY automated. There
have to be people there (at the very least) to monitor the operation, and
handle repairs. We aren't quite yet at the point where the robots will
also do their own maintenance.

Lloyd

Nucor has a couple of fastener plants that come close to being TOTALLY automated. They run three shifts and the graveyard shift runs totally automated. They have automated the monitoring. If something goes wrong , the machine shuts down and it gets fixed on the next shift.

Dan

Ayup..."lights out machining" is quite common and gaining popularity.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a
keep the man from touching the equipment.

-- Warren G. Bennis; As cited in: Mark Fisher (1991) The millionaire's
book of quotations.

--sp

Gunner Asch[_6_] August 17th 15 07:36 PM

Chinese factory

wrote:

[...]

Oooh! Very good!!

Gunner