DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Almost done ! (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/377987-almost-done.html)

Terry Coombs[_2_] May 13th 15 09:24 PM

Almost done !

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Got all the repairs done to the "new" mower deck , all I need to do now is
bolt stuff back on it - after a sandblast and some paint . To my critics - I
think you might have been confused , the deck with the serious cancer is
going to be scrapped . The best parts of both will be kept .
--
Snag

jon_banquer[_2_] May 13th 15 09:45 PM

Almost done !

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 1:24:37 PM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Got all the repairs done to the "new" mower deck , all I need to do now is
bolt stuff back on it - after a sandblast and some paint . To my critics - I
think you might have been confused , the deck with the serious cancer is
going to be scrapped . The best parts of both will be kept .
--
Snag

I would have used POR-15 on this deck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuDcvwEIkPI

Terry Coombs[_2_] May 13th 15 10:35 PM

Almost done !

jon_banquer wrote:
On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 1:24:37 PM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Got all the repairs done to the "new" mower deck , all I need to
do now is bolt stuff back on it - after a sandblast and some paint .
To my critics - I think you might have been confused , the deck with
the serious cancer is going to be scrapped . The best parts of both
will be kept . --
Snag

I would have used POR-15 on this deck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuDcvwEIkPI

I haven't decided what to coat it with , there's a chance I can get it
done with Rhino Liner . A good friend runs a car resto business and he's a
dealer . He's also the one who has the sandblaster I'll be using to clean it
up . I'd like to have it powder coated , but the budget won't go there .
Probably end up using an industrial enamel paint .
--
Snag

jon_banquer[_2_] May 13th 15 10:46 PM

Almost done !

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 2:35:47 PM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Because much of the metal is eaten a way, I don't think powder coating is a good idea. I think it's faster and easier to use POR-15 which gets hard as hell. It drives very much like a ceramic. I think this is the way to go on metal that's severely compromised like your deck is. If the metal was in great shape I'd powder coat it. I would not use Rhino Liner period because I don't think it's really meant for an application like this.

Terry Coombs[_2_] May 13th 15 11:23 PM

Almost done !

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Which deck are you referring to as "being eaten away" ? I'm not going to
use the one with holes in it , that one is going on the scrap heap - I've
already stripped most everything but the wheels from it and I'll be taking
those off too . The other one has some pitting , but is overall in pretty
good shape .

--
Snag

jon_banquer[_2_] May 14th 15 12:05 AM

Almost done !

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

The one that can be seen in the link you gave above.

jon_banquer[_2_] May 14th 15 12:08 AM

Almost done !

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

If you still have a good deal of deep pitting I feel you are much better off with POR-15

Steve W.[_4_] May 14th 15 01:03 AM

Almost done !

Terry Coombs wrote:
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

Got all the repairs done to the "new" mower deck , all I need to do now is
bolt stuff back on it - after a sandblast and some paint . To my critics - I
think you might have been confused , the deck with the serious cancer is
going to be scrapped . The best parts of both will be kept .

Sandblast might reveal more damage. I've used just about every coating
on a deck. Most don't hold up to the constant abuse under the deck. The
only two that have lasted longest were the factory powder coat and good
enamel with a topcoat of the non rubberized bed liner. Both lasted
longer with a good coat of slip plate paint (graphite paint).

If the price was lower I would ceramic coat the underside. That would
take a beating but it isn't in the budget $$$$$.

--
Steve W.

Larry Jaques[_4_] May 14th 15 05:21 AM

Almost done !

On Wed, 13 May 2015 16:35:42 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

How about good old alkyd on top and the new waterproofer underneath?
NeverWet http://tinyurl.com/obmo7dy I wonder if it'd hold up...

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

Martin Eastburn May 15th 15 04:31 AM

Almost done !

There might be brackets or spindles that you can weld on to the newer
one to fix it from the old junker.

I have a disabled mower - have better ones now - but it needed a bracket
that the factory stopped making and I had to get one made.

Martin

Terry Coombs[_2_] May 15th 15 12:58 PM

Almost done !

Martin Eastburn wrote:
There might be brackets or spindles that you can weld on to the newer
one to fix it from the old junker.

I have a disabled mower - have better ones now - but it needed a
bracket that the factory stopped making and I had to get one made.

Martin

On 5/13/2015 3:24 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/Sna...?sort=3&page=1

I did have to move the rear mount brackets over . Right now it's awaiting
some paint work and one more small place that needs welded . Then it's just
bolting stuff back on and mounting it .
--
Snag

Leon Fisk May 15th 15 01:11 PM

Almost done !

On Fri, 15 May 2015 06:58:35 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

snip
I did have to move the rear mount brackets over . Right now it's awaiting
some paint work and one more small place that needs welded . Then it's just
bolting stuff back on and mounting it .

and leveling it... For your use, rough cutting, it probably won't matter
much. The blades should be a little bit lower in front, maybe a 1/4
inch or so as compared to the rear. They cut better that way. And of
course they should be the same side to side. It can take an hour or two
of fuddling around to get a deck leveled nice. Something that rarely
gets done if you buy a new one nowadays...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Terry Coombs[_2_] May 15th 15 02:00 PM

Almost done !

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2015 06:58:35 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

snip
I did have to move the rear mount brackets over . Right now it's
awaiting some paint work and one more small place that needs welded
. Then it's just bolting stuff back on and mounting it .

and leveling it... For your use, rough cutting, it probably won't
matter much. The blades should be a little bit lower in front, maybe
a 1/4 inch or so as compared to the rear. They cut better that way.
And of course they should be the same side to side. It can take an
hour or two of fuddling around to get a deck leveled nice. Something
that rarely gets done if you buy a new one nowadays...

Yeah , I was wondering about that too . As you say , for what I'm doing
it's not critical , but still I think it wise to do it right . The hard part
is going to be finding a flat level place to do it ... the only flat level
place here is the concrete slab my shop sits on . And it's covered up with
the shop and "stuff" .

--
Snag

Leon Fisk May 15th 15 07:42 PM

Almost done !

On Fri, 15 May 2015 08:00:01 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Yeah , I was wondering about that too . As you say , for what I'm doing
it's not critical , but still I think it wise to do it right . The hard part
is going to be finding a flat level place to do it ... the only flat level
place here is the concrete slab my shop sits on . And it's covered up with
the shop and "stuff" .

You could probably get away with a decent sheet of plywood for your
surface with some well placed supports underneath...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

[email protected] May 15th 15 09:48 PM

Almost done !

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Yeah , I was wondering about that too . As you say , for what I'm doing
it's not critical , but still I think it wise to do it right . The hard part
is going to be finding a flat level place to do it ... the only flat level
place here is the concrete slab my shop sits on . And it's covered up with
the shop and "stuff" .

You could probably get away with a decent sheet of plywood for your
surface with some well placed supports underneath...

or just rake some bare ground level, wet it down and pack it - let it
bake in the sun and set the tractor on it.. You don;t need a perfectly
flat granite surface plate to set up a lawn mower!!!

Larry Jaques[_4_] May 16th 15 01:41 AM

Almost done !

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Yeah , I was wondering about that too . As you say , for what I'm doing
it's not critical , but still I think it wise to do it right . The hard part
is going to be finding a flat level place to do it ... the only flat level
place here is the concrete slab my shop sits on . And it's covered up with
the shop and "stuff" .

You could probably get away with a decent sheet of plywood for your
surface with some well placed supports underneath...

or just rake some bare ground level, wet it down and pack it - let it
bake in the sun and set the tractor on it.. You don;t need a perfectly
flat granite surface plate to set up a lawn mower!!!

Got a sheet of plywood? Lay it down, run the mower up on it, and set
the level.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

[email protected] May 16th 15 02:26 AM

Almost done !

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Yeah , I was wondering about that too . As you say , for what I'm doing
it's not critical , but still I think it wise to do it right . The hard part
is going to be finding a flat level place to do it ... the only flat level
place here is the concrete slab my shop sits on . And it's covered up with
the shop and "stuff" .

You could probably get away with a decent sheet of plywood for your
surface with some well placed supports underneath...

or just rake some bare ground level, wet it down and pack it - let it
bake in the sun and set the tractor on it.. You don;t need a perfectly
flat granite surface plate to set up a lawn mower!!!

Got a sheet of plywood? Lay it down, run the mower up on it, and set
the level.

That was recommended just before the level ground.

Terry Coombs[_2_] May 16th 15 03:43 AM

Almost done !

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Yeah , I was wondering about that too . As you say , for what I'm
doing it's not critical , but still I think it wise to do it
right . The hard part is going to be finding a flat level place
to do it ... the only flat level place here is the concrete slab
my shop sits on . And it's covered up with the shop and "stuff" .

You could probably get away with a decent sheet of plywood for your
surface with some well placed supports underneath...
or just rake some bare ground level, wet it down and pack it - let
it bake in the sun and set the tractor on it.. You don;t need a
perfectly flat granite surface plate to set up a lawn mower!!!

Got a sheet of plywood? Lay it down, run the mower up on it, and set
the level.

That was recommended just before the level ground.

And I just happen to have a sheet of 3/4 plywood ... I'll probably roll
the tractor up onto it before I mount the deck , gotta be easier than
draggin' that deck over the dirt and grass/weeds to position it for mounting
..
Today was a pretty good day . I got out my HF sandblaster and it actually
worked pretty good to get most of the rust off . I then sprayed the
bare/rusted areas with some rust conversion primer and started bolting stuff
back on it . Got the 3 best spindles of the 6 I have mounted and blades on
them . One small weld still to do and the front roller to mount and I can
flip it right side up and install the rest of the mounting hardware . I had
to do some build-up welding on the pulley block that tensions the drive belt
and turns the belt from vert to horizontal , the pivots the tensioner rides
on were worn - as was the rear mount pivot bar . Adjustment clevises
clevi? were rusted in place and had to be heated to get them moving . If
all goes well , tomorrow I mount the deck and test it . It'll be a short
test because the front tires are dry rotted and starting to come apart , new
ones will be in on Monday .

--
Snag

Larry Jaques[_4_] May 16th 15 05:35 AM

Almost done !

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Yeah , I was wondering about that too . As you say , for what I'm doing
it's not critical , but still I think it wise to do it right . The hard part
is going to be finding a flat level place to do it ... the only flat level
place here is the concrete slab my shop sits on . And it's covered up with
the shop and "stuff" .

You could probably get away with a decent sheet of plywood for your
surface with some well placed supports underneath...
or just rake some bare ground level, wet it down and pack it - let it
bake in the sun and set the tractor on it.. You don;t need a perfectly
flat granite surface plate to set up a lawn mower!!!

Got a sheet of plywood? Lay it down, run the mower up on it, and set
the level.

That was recommended just before the level ground.

Sorry, missed it completely.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

Larry Jaques[_4_] May 16th 15 05:40 AM

Almost done !

On Fri, 15 May 2015 21:43:23 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

.
Today was a pretty good day . I got out my HF sandblaster and it actually
worked pretty good to get most of the rust off . I then sprayed the
bare/rusted areas with some rust conversion primer and started bolting stuff
back on it . Got the 3 best spindles of the 6 I have mounted and blades on

How did you handle the pivots for the blades, so they don't eat each
other when they hit something? Or did you attack that mod yet?

them . One small weld still to do and the front roller to mount and I can
flip it right side up and install the rest of the mounting hardware . I had
to do some build-up welding on the pulley block that tensions the drive belt
and turns the belt from vert to horizontal , the pivots the tensioner rides

Ick, vert to horz? I hate it when they do that. It kills belts so
durned quickly, and those belts are usually double the price to begin
with.

on were worn - as was the rear mount pivot bar . Adjustment clevises
clevi? were rusted in place and had to be heated to get them moving . If

Clevum? Nah, it's clevises.

Terry Coombs[_2_] May 16th 15 06:10 AM

Almost done !

Larry Jaques wrote:
How did you handle the pivots for the blades, so they don't eat each
other when they hit something? Or did you attack that mod yet?

I'm saving that mod for another day . I think the only way that's going to
work is if the blades are short enough that they can't meet in the middle ,
which will require a larger disc than I'd previopusly considerd . It may not
be feasible with the small diameters I'm working with , the original blades
are only 16" long .
--
Snag

Larry Jaques[_4_] May 16th 15 11:13 AM

Almost done !

On Sat, 16 May 2015 00:10:42 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
How did you handle the pivots for the blades, so they don't eat each
other when they hit something? Or did you attack that mod yet?

I'm saving that mod for another day . I think the only way that's going to
work is if the blades are short enough that they can't meet in the middle ,
which will require a larger disc than I'd previopusly considerd . It may not
be feasible with the small diameters I'm working with , the original blades
are only 16" long .

Yeah, it sounds tricky at best, especially considering that the shape
of the blade defines the evacuation efficiency of the grass from the
deck.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

Gunner Asch[_6_] May 17th 15 03:38 PM

Almost done !

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Rhino Liner or a clone gets my vote for this, Seriously good for this
sort of application!!!

Gunner

Larry Jaques[_4_] May 17th 15 06:14 PM

Almost done !

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Does that stuff shed sticky grass well? The coarse texture I've felt
when looking at spray-on bedliners didn't seem the type which would
work well for easy cleaning. I've always _much_ preferred the
slide-in bedliners.

--
When we are planning for posterity, we ought
to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

(comparing Paine to the current CONgress deep sigh)

Steve W.[_4_] May 17th 15 08:01 PM

Almost done !

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

You can get liner that doesn't have the texture as well.

When you consider just what goes on under that deck when you're mowing
it's hard to come up with something that can be easily applied but can
handle the abuse!

--
Steve W.

Gunner Asch[_6_] May 17th 15 08:37 PM

Almost done !

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Oh hell yes. Slides off like runny snot from your nose. And when you
are done..simply stick the hose in the output port and spray the dust
out of it. Bed liner..some of the best stuff ever made for that sort
of app.

Gunner

jon_banquer[_2_] May 17th 15 09:00 PM

Almost done !

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Its' not hard at all to come up with a good approach.

jon_banquer[_2_] May 17th 15 09:03 PM

Almost done !

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Larry Jackass is an idiot.

Slide-in bedliners often hold moisture between the plastic liner and the bed. This is the reason just about everyone moved to a spray on coating.

[email protected] May 17th 15 09:25 PM

Almost done !

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

When I re-made the deck on my high-wheeler I used stainless steel.
Works a treat, but mowing on a sunny day REQUIRES wearing sun
glasses!!!!

pyotr filipivich May 18th 15 04:40 AM

Almost done !

Gunner Asch on Sun, 17 May 2015 12:37:35 -0700

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Good idea. I've a Toro which is suffering serious mower deck rot.
Along with a few other problems. Heck, I';ve got almost $30 in it,
not sure if I want to keep up the effort.
(it was a found mower given me by a friend. He now wishes he had
kept it.)
--
pyotr filipivich

Gunner Asch[_6_] May 18th 15 09:41 AM

Almost done !

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

LOL!!

Paint might help a bit....you know what I mean?

(Grin)

Larry Jaques[_4_] May 18th 15 01:52 PM

Almost done !

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

What? And lose the "bling" factor and the Stevie Wonder look?

Gunner Asch[_6_] May 18th 15 05:22 PM

Almost done !

On Mon, 18 May 2015 05:52:10 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Gunner
When I re-made the deck on my high-wheeler I used stainless steel.
Works a treat, but mowing on a sunny day REQUIRES wearing sun
glasses!!!!

LOL!!

Paint might help a bit....you know what I mean?

(Grin)

What? And lose the "bling" factor and the Stevie Wonder look?

Humm...decals....big NASCAR decals!! That will do it!!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lt...qGaQodclAA Ow

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/161-...GBaQod0QcAx w

http://www.purpleharley.com/Decals_auto.htm

[email protected] May 18th 15 07:42 PM

Almost done !

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

I'll put up with the glare - I'm supposed to wear sun protection
anyeay (cataracts)

[email protected] May 18th 15 07:44 PM

Almost done !

wrote:

Gunner
When I re-made the deck on my high-wheeler I used stainless steel.
Works a treat, but mowing on a sunny day REQUIRES wearing sun
glasses!!!!

LOL!!

Paint might help a bit....you know what I mean?

(Grin)

What? And lose the "bling" factor and the Stevie Wonder look?

Humm...decals....big NASCAR decals!! That will do it!!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lt...qGaQodclAA Ow

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/161-...GBaQod0QcAx w

http://www.purpleharley.com/Decals_auto.htm

Just let it get dusty and don't bother washing it off works too, but I
hate putting it away dirty.

[email protected] May 19th 15 01:42 AM

Almost done !

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

The mower I just used is a deck from a 22" unit that junior dragged
home afterit suffered a bent crank due to eithe a large rock or
concrete step plus a serious infection by the "eye-dee-ten-
tea"mechanic virus and the motor from a dumpster dive by second son
that developed independent suspension. No, Clare, I still haven't
motorized the stainless deck you provided; I'm still looking for a bag
unit to fit the self propelled power unit destined for it, I may end
up going bagless.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

[email protected] May 19th 15 02:00 AM

Almost done !

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Good to see you still have plans for it Gerry. Did I have the blue
Bolton engine on my hi-wheeler when you were up or did I still have
the little old Briggs on it???

I'll be rebuilding a little Deere rider this summer - Kawasaki engine
that the crankcase bolts backed out of, causing the base gasket to
allow oil to escape all over the place.

Larry Jaques[_4_] May 19th 15 01:57 PM

Almost done !

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Huh?

and the motor from a dumpster dive by second son
that developed independent suspension. No, Clare, I still haven't
motorized the stainless deck you provided; I'm still looking for a bag
unit to fit the self propelled power unit destined for it, I may end
up going bagless.

Bagless is much better for the lawn. And letting the grass get longer
is better, too. It uses less water. Mulch the cut stuff and it
disappears into the long grass instantly, so the wifey is OK with it.

[email protected] May 21st 15 04:20 AM

Almost done !

wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
[...]