Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lj Lj is offline

Default Can annealing help the bending process of aluminum angle, flange out?

I am trying to remodel the opening for the hold in my runabout the best
option I have found so far is an aluminum "ring" which gives support and
provides the finished appearance that I want . Any suggestions are
appreciated. Lj

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...fl-612632-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PCS PCS is offline

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 9:18:03 PM UTC-4, Lj wrote:
I am trying to remodel the opening for the hold in my runabout the best
option I have found so far is an aluminum "ring" which gives support and
provides the finished appearance that I want . Any suggestions are
appreciated. Lj

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...fl-612632-.htm
using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.crafts.metalworking and other engineering groups

Cut OD and ID of a "hold"-sized ring out of plate stock on bandsaw. Finish to suit.
Cut another length of X-inch wide flat stock to make a hoop the size of the above ring's ID.
Weld the two pieces together.

Do I win anything?

--
PaulS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 19:14:51 -0700 (PDT), PCS
wrote:

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 9:18:03 PM UTC-4, Lj wrote:
I am trying to remodel the opening for the hold in my runabout the best
option I have found so far is an aluminum "ring" which gives support and
provides the finished appearance that I want . Any suggestions are
appreciated. Lj

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...fl-612632-.htm
using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.crafts.metalworking and other engineering groups

Cut OD and ID of a "hold"-sized ring out of plate stock on bandsaw. Finish to suit.
Cut another length of X-inch wide flat stock to make a hoop the size of the above ring's ID.
Weld the two pieces together.

Do I win anything?

Bend an angle of sheet aluminum - I like 6061 but it takes a LOT more
annealing to do the job - itility grade is a lot easier to work with.
Then make a "mini english wheel" out of a vice-grip pliers and a
couple of ball bearings and roll the flange, progressively thinning
it, more at the outer edge and less at the web, untill you get the
radius you need. Best to start with fairly thick material - the
smaller the radius, the thicker you need.. When the metal stops
moving, you need to anneal it again.. I've made 6" diameter rings out
of .060" but the 1 inch flange gets mighty thin.