Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Blower/filter on a sandblaster

I have a 48" sandblast cabinet that I only recently put to use (long
story).

This cabinet has a blower and a filter bag.

It is full of fairly fine sandblasting sand.

My question is, if I run the blower while sandblasting, will that
blower pick up only dirt (such as blown away rust, paint etc), or will
I also experience loss of sand itself?

Does that blower pick up sand?

thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32591 wrote:
I have a 48" sandblast cabinet that I only recently put to use (long
story).

This cabinet has a blower and a filter bag.

It is full of fairly fine sandblasting sand.

My question is, if I run the blower while sandblasting, will that
blower pick up only dirt (such as blown away rust, paint etc), or will
I also experience loss of sand itself?

Does that blower pick up sand?

thanks

Does the blower output go thru any kind of separator ? They often use a
"cyclone" to separate the sand , it's heavier and will be thrown outwards by
the whirling air . I'm not familiar with design details , just the theory

Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 01/03/15 21:20, Ignoramus32591 wrote:
I have a 48" sandblast cabinet that I only recently put to use (long
story).

This cabinet has a blower and a filter bag.

It is full of fairly fine sandblasting sand.

My question is, if I run the blower while sandblasting, will that
blower pick up only dirt (such as blown away rust, paint etc), or will
I also experience loss of sand itself?

Does that blower pick up sand?

thanks

The Guyson blasting cabinet I use has a extractor fan to suck out dust
and does pick up some grit but there is a flap on the outlet vent which
control the strength of the suction to prevent to muck grit being taken
out, does yours have any way of controlling the flow.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've run glass beads in my cabinet without losing them to the filter.
These are fine enough to be like powder to the touch. I think that
their density is too high to remain air borne long enough to be sucked out.

"Sand", on the other hand probably has much more dust that would be
lost, but that's no loss, if you know what I mean.

When I built my cabinet, I used a vac to clear the air inside. Using a
blower puts positive pressure in the cabinet, which would exploit the
tiniest crack to drive dust into the shop. Is this the way that it's
usually done?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 3:20:13 PM UTC-6, Ignoramus32591 wrote:
I have a 48" sandblast cabinet that I only recently put to use (long
story).

This cabinet has a blower and a filter bag.

It is full of fairly fine sandblasting sand.

My question is, if I run the blower while sandblasting, will that
blower pick up only dirt (such as blown away rust, paint etc), or will
I also experience loss of sand itself?

Does that blower pick up sand?

thanks

I'm assuming the blower actually produces a vacuum, not pressure? If set up correctly it will maintain negative pressure in the cabinet. Any dust it pulls out will be too fine to be useful in cleaning. However, it will be very bad for you if it's in your breathing air.
Mine is a cheap HF cabinet, but it has a mesh filter over the air inlet in the back of the cabinet. On the other end is a hole for a vacuum hose. I use a shop vac with a good filter. Before it gets to the vac, the hose runs into a closed bucket half full of water. The inlet hoe from the cabinet ends up underwater, and the out hose is in the top of the bucket, running to the vac. The vac is always started before the blasting, and the exhausted air bubbles through the water before going through the vac filter and then out into the air. I also have the vac exhaust as far away from me as possible. When I am ready to open the cabinet, I let the vac run a few minutes before I crack the seal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-03-01, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I've run glass beads in my cabinet without losing them to the filter.
These are fine enough to be like powder to the touch. I think that
their density is too high to remain air borne long enough to be sucked out.

"Sand", on the other hand probably has much more dust that would be
lost, but that's no loss, if you know what I mean.

When I built my cabinet, I used a vac to clear the air inside. Using a
blower puts positive pressure in the cabinet, which would exploit the
tiniest crack to drive dust into the shop. Is this the way that it's
usually done?

The blower that I have sucks air from the cabinet and pushes that air
into a filter bag outside.

The "sand" I have is not silica sand, but some sort of a proper sand
blasting media. It is of fine composition and does feel like powder to
the touch, like you said.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-03-02, Rex wrote:
On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 3:20:13 PM UTC-6, Ignoramus32591 wrote:
I have a 48" sandblast cabinet that I only recently put to use (long
story).

This cabinet has a blower and a filter bag.

It is full of fairly fine sandblasting sand.

My question is, if I run the blower while sandblasting, will that
blower pick up only dirt (such as blown away rust, paint etc), or will
I also experience loss of sand itself?

Does that blower pick up sand?

thanks

I'm assuming the blower actually produces a vacuum, not pressure?

Yes, vacuum.

If set up correctly it will maintain negative pressure in the
cabinet. Any dust it pulls out will be too fine to be useful in
cleaning. However, it will be very bad for you if it's in your
breathing air.

OK, got it, thanks, makes sense

Mine is a cheap HF cabinet, but it has a mesh filter
over the air inlet in the back of the cabinet. On the other end is a
hole for a vacuum hose. I use a shop vac with a good filter. Before
it gets to the vac, the hose runs into a closed bucket half full of
water. The inlet hoe from the cabinet ends up underwater, and the
out hose is in the top of the bucket, running to the vac. The vac
is always started before the blasting, and the exhausted air bubbles
through the water before going through the vac filter and then out
into the air. I also have the vac exhaust as far away from me as
possible. When I am ready to open the cabinet, I let the vac run a
few minutes before I crack the seal.

Does the water become disgusting after a few hours?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 21:47:51 -0600, Ignoramus32591
wrote:

The "sand" I have is not silica sand, but some sort of a proper sand
blasting media. It is of fine composition and does feel like powder to
the touch, like you said.

If it feels like a powder..its designed to be a polishing media and
NOT for rust or burr removal. You can..over time..remove rust with
it..but it takes a long time and it uses up media like a brush fire.

You never did indicate what your cabinet is to be used for.

I have a Trico Mod 36 here at the house

http://www.trinco.com/leftframe1.htm

And for rust removal..use Black Beauty media

http://www.blackbeautyabrasives.com/...-abrasives.php

For polishing and smoothing I use both ground glass and glass beads

I wound up with (15) 5 gallon buckets of unused glass media, and ,
have given at least 8 away to friends.

http://www.grainger.com/product/BALL...st-Media-2W580

I find little difference in my sort of work to crushed glass and bead
glass. Shrug

I also have a smaller table top version but the window seals are shot
and a "tank" type sand blaster from Harbor Freight that I use strictly
with playground sand to do bigger things such as boat trailers and
motorcycle frames etc etc

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The "sand" I have is not silica sand, but some sort of a proper sand
blasting media. It is of fine composition and does feel like powder to
the touch, like you said.

If it feels like a powder..its designed to be a polishing media and
NOT for rust or burr removal. You can..over time..remove rust with
it..but it takes a long time and it uses up media like a brush fire.

OK, thanks. Yes, it feels like extremely fine sand, the grains are so
tiny.

You never did indicate what your cabinet is to be used for.

General rust and paint removal only.

I have a Trico Mod 36 here at the house

http://www.trinco.com/leftframe1.htm

Very nice, I have a 24" Trinco cabinet, that I will be soon selling
due to putting the big one in service.

And for rust removal..use Black Beauty media

http://www.blackbeautyabrasives.com/...-abrasives.php

OK, what size?

For polishing and smoothing I use both ground glass and glass beads

I wound up with (15) 5 gallon buckets of unused glass media, and ,
have given at least 8 away to friends.

http://www.grainger.com/product/BALL...st-Media-2W580

I find little difference in my sort of work to crushed glass and bead
glass. Shrug

I also have a smaller table top version but the window seals are shot
and a "tank" type sand blaster from Harbor Freight that I use strictly
with playground sand to do bigger things such as boat trailers and
motorcycle frames etc etc

I hope that you use proper breathing equipment!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've recently discovered a wet sandblaster mod for a pressure washer
on eBay for $95. It's very, very interesting.
http://www.amazon.com/MTM-Hydro-Indu.../dp/B004GQLDR8
http://tinyurl.com/qazno89 $64 from Northern, but only 3500psi.

It looks a helluva lot faster than the cheapie handheld blaster I have
or the bigger cabinet I once used at Gunner's.

--
Now therefore, be it Resolved by the Fiftieth Annual Convention
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, That we

--Veterans of Foreign Wars

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

10-20 grit. "Medium" size

For polishing and smoothing I use both ground glass and glass beads

I wound up with (15) 5 gallon buckets of unused glass media, and ,
have given at least 8 away to friends.

http://www.grainger.com/product/BALL...st-Media-2W580

I find little difference in my sort of work to crushed glass and bead
glass. Shrug

I also have a smaller table top version but the window seals are shot
and a "tank" type sand blaster from Harbor Freight that I use strictly
with playground sand to do bigger things such as boat trailers and
motorcycle frames etc etc

I hope that you use proper breathing equipment!

Generally when outdoors..I will take one of my big shop fans and place
it behind me and let it blow all the fines away when doing this kind
of thing.
PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

For rust and paint removal on HEAVY steel/iron, where surface finish
isn't a major concern, medium grit coal slag (aka 40-50 grit)

If you want a "better" finish switch to aluminum oxide at 80-90 grit.

Installing a centrifugal separator in the system can make a big
difference and don't skimp on hose size. High CFM at lower velocity is
much better for dust removal.

I've been looking at a dust free system myself, uses water mixed into
the blast stream to control the dust. If it works as well as I've seen
videos and demos it could make serious money.
http://www.dustlessblasting.com/

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/3/2015 12:54 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
I've recently discovered a wet sandblaster mod for a pressure washer

I remember discovering that and thinking it was a neat idea. But when I
"researched" it on the net, I found its deficiencies too great.
Unfortunately, I can't remember the details, but I did want to give a
heads up.

Bob

Sandblaster tomstorey Woodturning 13 August 18th 06 12:30 AM
HF Sandblaster Travis Mahone Metalworking 6 January 19th 06 07:19 PM
use at home sandblaster a6016 Metalworking 6 March 31st 05 04:43 AM
Sandblaster construction Usuario Invitado Metalworking 3 February 13th 05 12:37 AM
Do I need a sandblaster? The Hurdy Gurdy Man Metalworking 13 January 12th 04 03:17 PM