Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Just built a new workbench

It's been a long time since I posted here. I moved to Germany for work in the meantime. I can see a few familiar names. Who's still around...Gunner? Igor? Bob? Eric? Ernie? Leon? Brian? Harold? Spehro? Wayne?

Here are pictures of my latest project. I just built a sturdy workbench for my new basement. It's designed for quick dismantling. Paint and a 40 mm thick plywood top are yet to come:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138493...57650077437466

Best wishes,

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Very nice!

I am wondering, why did you choose not to weld the top frame?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am Dienstag, 6. Januar 2015 00:40:28 UTC+1 schrieb Ignoramus5677:
Very nice!

I am wondering, why did you choose not to weld the top frame?

Because that would stop me dismantling the bench into small parts for transport.

It's actually very rigid because of the arrangement of bolts. When you push on the bench in a perpendicular direction, two bolts in each leg are loaded in shear, but two are loaded in tension. The two which are loaded in tension stop the other two from slipping, even if they aren't very tight.

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, January 5, 2015 2:53:26 PM UTC-8, Christopher Tidy wrote:
It's been a long time since I posted here. I moved to Germany for work in the meantime. I can see a few familiar names. Who's still around...Gunner? Igor? Bob? Eric? Ernie? Leon? Brian? Harold? Spehro? Wayne?

Here are pictures of my latest project. I just built a sturdy workbench for my new basement. It's designed for quick dismantling. Paint and a 40 mm thick plywood top are yet to come:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138493...57650077437466

Best wishes,

Chris

Nice design. Nice work.

Maybe apply the same to fixturing if you are planing on doing any welding on this table?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 14:53:24 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

It's been a long time since I posted here. I moved to Germany for work in the meantime. I can see a few familiar names. Who's still around...Gunner? Igor? Bob? Eric? Ernie? Leon? Brian? Harold? Spehro? Wayne?

Here are pictures of my latest project. I just built a sturdy workbench for my new basement. It's designed for quick dismantling. Paint and a 40 mm thick plywood top are yet to come:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138493...57650077437466

Best wishes,

Chris

Goot nabin mein herr! Good to see you back on the groups!

Nice job on the bench! What top did you put on it?

As to the regulars..most are still here..some are not. Some of us
have been doing hobby or work stuff and cant get here as often as we'd
like.

So what job are you doing in Deutchland?

Gunner, Half Hun (Grin)

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/5/2015 2:53 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:
It's been a long time since I posted here. I moved to Germany for work in the meantime. I can see a few familiar names. Who's still around...Gunner? Igor? Bob? Eric? Ernie? Leon? Brian? Harold? Spehro? Wayne?

Here are pictures of my latest project. I just built a sturdy workbench for my new basement. It's designed for quick dismantling. Paint and a 40 mm thick plywood top are yet to come:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138493...57650077437466

Best wishes,

Chris

Looks nicely done! You must be renting to build something that can be
quickly dismantled.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:

It's been a long time since I posted here. I moved to Germany for work in the meantime. I can see a few familiar names. Who's still around...Gunner? Igor? Bob? Eric? Ernie? Leon? Brian? Harold? Spehro? Wayne?

Here are pictures of my latest project. I just built a sturdy workbench for my new basement. It's designed for quick dismantling. Paint and a 40 mm thick plywood top are yet to come:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138493...57650077437466

Best wishes,

Chris

I like the design. Not what you usually see. But it works well and is
simple enough. I'll bet you could easily use the same angle iron for
the top as the legs too. Weld the flat piece the bolts go through and
then add a triangle shaped strut between the flat/angle for rigidity.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am Dienstag, 6. Januar 2015 02:38:29 UTC+1 schrieb Gunner Asch:

Goot nabin mein herr! Good to see you back on the groups!

Nice job on the bench! What top did you put on it?

It's getting one of these tops:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Profi-40mm-Mu...-/261323339730

As to the regulars..most are still here..some are not. Some of us
have been doing hobby or work stuff and cant get here as often as we'd
like.

Good to see that you're still here. I remember the pictures after your operation and they looked pretty painful. Think that was about the time I drifted away from r.c.m.

So what job are you doing in Deutchland?

I now teach courses for mechanical engineers in English.

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am Dienstag, 6. Januar 2015 20:42:00 UTC+1 schrieb Leon Fisk:

I like the design. Not what you usually see. But it works well and is
simple enough. I'll bet you could easily use the same angle iron for
the top as the legs too. Weld the flat piece the bolts go through and
then add a triangle shaped strut between the flat/angle for rigidity.

I could have used the same angle for the top frame, yes, but I was looking for a quick and reliable design which was simple to build. It might be more awkward getting the legs square with angle around the top. As it is, the legs are almost perfectly vertical. I can't detect a lean in any of them.

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looks nicely done! You must be renting to build something that can be
quickly dismantled.

No, but it needs to be shipped and carried through a basement door on my own. It's just more convenient if it comes apart.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 13:49:08 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Am Dienstag, 6. Januar 2015 02:38:29 UTC+1 schrieb Gunner Asch:

Goot nabin mein herr! Good to see you back on the groups!

Nice job on the bench! What top did you put on it?

It's getting one of these tops:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Profi-40mm-Mu...-/261323339730

Nice looking material. Hope you arent going to be welding on it.

As to the regulars..most are still here..some are not. Some of us
have been doing hobby or work stuff and cant get here as often as we'd
like.

Good to see that you're still here. I remember the pictures after your operation and they looked pretty painful. Think that was about the time I drifted away from r.c.m.

Hell..that was almost 6 yrs ago in 2009. All better now G

So what job are you doing in Deutchland?

I now teach courses for mechanical engineers in English.

Chris

Cool!! Sounds interesting. I lost most of my German when I had the
stroke right after the heart surgery. Lost my Finn, Vietnamese and
German, most of my Spanish..but some of it has come back..though Im
not doing really well in English either (Grin)

Good to see you back! Hang around and join in. It will be fun having
metalworking discussed for a change.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:

It's been a long time since I posted here. I moved to Germany for work in the meantime. I can see a few familiar names. Who's still around...Gunner? Igor? Bob? Eric? Ernie? Leon? Brian? Harold? Spehro? Wayne?

Here are pictures of my latest project. I just built a sturdy workbench for my new basement. It's designed for quick dismantling. Paint and a 40 mm thick plywood top are yet to come:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138493...57650077437466

Best wishes,

Chris

Welcome back, Chris.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am Mittwoch, 7. Januar 2015 01:43:05 UTC+1 schrieb Gunner Asch:

It's getting one of these tops:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Profi-40mm-Mu...-/261323339730

Nice looking material. Hope you arent going to be welding on it.

Nope. Repair and assembly together with a bit of woodwork. But the bench is designed so that it could be fitted with a metal top suitable for welding at a later date.

As to the regulars..most are still here..some are not. Some of us
have been doing hobby or work stuff and cant get here as often as we'd
like.

Good to see that you're still here. I remember the pictures after your operation and they looked pretty painful. Think that was about the time I drifted away from r.c.m.

Hell..that was almost 6 yrs ago in 2009. All better now G

Good to hear!

Cool!! Sounds interesting. I lost most of my German when I had the
stroke right after the heart surgery. Lost my Finn, Vietnamese and
German, most of my Spanish..but some of it has come back..though Im
not doing really well in English either (Grin)

Good to see you back! Hang around and join in. It will be fun having
metalworking discussed for a change.

Did Cliff Huprich leave? That was be a change for the better...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:12:51 PM UTC-8, Christopher Tidy wrote:
[...]

Mark Wieber claims he called someone and Cliff was taken care of. Nothing could be further from the truth. I spoke with Cliff's sister and confirmed what I suspected all along... Cliff had been sick and bed ridden for years. He finally passed away from his many illnesses.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 3:34:00 PM UTC-8, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

I should also add that Cliff had aliened his entire family including his sister, Melissa. In our conversations, I found Melissa to be a very compassionate person and very nice. She raises Arabian horses.

http://www.lotusbloodstock.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 15:12:47 -0800 (PST), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

[...]

Cliff had a surprise case of sudden death. No idea how he wound up
after meeting his maker, but ..shrug...Im sure he isnt cold anymore

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 7:34:10 PM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:

Cliff had a surprise case of sudden death. No idea how he wound up
after meeting his maker, but ..shrug...Im sure he isnt cold anymore

No he didn't you worthless, lying ****. There was nothing sudden about Cliff Huprich's death at all.

Cliff Huprich had been sick for many years and was often bed ridden. In the end he contracted pneumonia which finally killed him. This can be confirmed by anyone who wishes to talk with his sister, Melissa.