Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for a name of a clamp or latch

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:13:10 PM UTC-8, Tim Wescott wrote:
I can visualize this, but have no clue what one may call it, so...
Imagine a plastic board, 1" by 10" by big. It has a 1/4" deep pocket
milled into the top (the 10" by big part) of it.

Now imagine a box, 6" x 3" x 3" on a 1/4" thick plastic plate. The plate
overhangs the box, and just fits into the pocket in the board. Put the
box into the board, and notice how well it's located from side to side,
and fore and aft, thanks to the fit between the plate and pocket.

Now turn the board over -- damn, the box fell off. This just won't do.

Toggle clamp?

http://www.destaco.com/manual-clamps.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 14:27:58 -0800, whit3rd wrote:

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:13:10 PM UTC-8, Tim Wescott wrote:
I can visualize this, but have no clue what one may call it, so...
Imagine a plastic board, 1" by 10" by big. It has a 1/4" deep pocket
milled into the top (the 10" by big part) of it.

Now imagine a box, 6" x 3" x 3" on a 1/4" thick plastic plate. The
plate overhangs the box, and just fits into the pocket in the board.
Put the box into the board, and notice how well it's located from side
to side, and fore and aft, thanks to the fit between the plate and
pocket.

Now turn the board over -- damn, the box fell off. This just won't do.

Toggle clamp?

http://www.destaco.com/manual-clamps.html

If there were toggle clamps available that looked good, and could be
washed down with salt water, yes.

I know I don't like the aesthetics of those, and I doubt you could splash
them with salt water every day and have them last.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Something like this?

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|10918|2303361|2303370&id=1313020

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Tim Wescott wrote:

Something like this?

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|10918|2303361|2303370&id=1313020

--
Steve W.

That's nice and simple and reasonably priced.

If you value long-term repairability over looks it's hard to beat a
snap link or hairpin clip through a stainless screw eye. The only
weakness I've found in cheap snap links left outdoors is corrosion of
the spring which a drop of LPS-3 prevents.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/1/2015 8:47 AM, Steve W. wrote:

Something like this?

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|10918|2303361|2303370&id=1313020

Lots of others on that site. This seems to be very close to what Tim
described:
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|10918|2303361|2303370&id=1227048

Doesn't say if it has detents for maintaining a position.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/1/2015 10:50 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Lots of others on that site. This seems to be very close to what Tim
described:
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|10918|2303361|2303370&id=1227048

Umm ... clicking that link doesn't work in my reader. But cut-and-paste
of it does. Or "Search" for item 754720 works.