Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best Comedy Show in Town

The Jonny and Eddy Comedy Hour . I get a lot of laughs out of these posts
.. Ed , why do you bother ? Are you really that bored , or do you just enjoy
watching that fool froth at the mouth ? I can tell Bonqueers is compelled by
his mental illness ...
And I'm still waiting for him to show us something he's
fabricated/machined/produced in any way . I've been slack this week ,
haven't done much so far but a bit of deer hunting . With a muzzleloader I
built from a kit . (CVA Plains RIfle , .50 cal sidelock replica w/2-7 x 32
LER scope originally intended for a Mosin-Nagant shooting hand cast 176gr
patched balls .)
--
Snag
Well Jonnyboi?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 08:21:28 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

The Jonny and Eddy Comedy Hour . I get a lot of laughs out of these posts
. Ed , why do you bother ?

To keep in practice. Don't ask me for what. g

Are you really that bored , or do you just enjoy
watching that fool froth at the mouth ? I can tell Bonqueers is compelled by
his mental illness ...

I can't say I enjoy it. But it's a knee-jerk reaction that is similar
to the motivation for me as a writer and editor. Watching someone
disseminate bull**** gets my dander up.

And I'm still waiting for him to show us something he's
fabricated/machined/produced in any way

Over a decade, and waiting....

I've been slack this week ,
haven't done much so far but a bit of deer hunting . With a muzzleloader I
built from a kit . (CVA Plains RIfle , .50 cal sidelock replica w/2-7 x 32
LER scope originally intended for a Mosin-Nagant shooting hand cast 176gr
patched balls .)

What's the barrel twist in those things? I used to shoot a .45 cal.
H&R inline for deer. The twist was 1:36; a little fast for round balls
but pretty good for slugs.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I think it's 1:48 , but I don't remember for sure . I don't do slugs ,
don't like the increased recoil . This gun will average 3" groups at a
hundred - from the bench . I'm not capable of that accuracy offhand .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The Jonny and Eddy Comedy Hour . I get a lot of laughs out of these posts
. Ed , why do you bother ? Are you really that bored , or do you just enjoy
watching that fool froth at the mouth ? I can tell Bonqueers is compelled by
his mental illness ...
And I'm still waiting for him to show us something he's
fabricated/machined/produced in any way . I've been slack this week ,
haven't done much so far but a bit of deer hunting . With a muzzleloader I
built from a kit . (CVA Plains RIfle , .50 cal sidelock replica w/2-7 x 32
LER scope originally intended for a Mosin-Nagant shooting hand cast 176gr
patched balls .)

Scope? Sneer......

I made peep sites for my Plains rifle..and 2 of the Hawkens

Wassmatter boy...need a seeing eye dog when ya hunt?

(Grin)

Gunner, who is pondering why he cant see as well as he used to when
using peeps....
PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's the other common "compromise" twist. I don't have much
experience with muzzleloaders other than the one I owned, but a friend
who's an expert says to either go for a slug twist or a ball twist,
because the compromises don't work really well for either. I did
notice that I had to use a heavy powder load to get good accuracy with
slugs, while I got better accuracy with light loads when shooting
balls.

I don't do slugs ,
don't like the increased recoil .

Yeah, I imagine that's a real push with a .50 cal. It wasn't that much
with my .45.

This gun will average 3" groups at a
hundred - from the bench . I'm not capable of that accuracy offhand .

Practicality wins the day.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sigh , there was a time when I could pop light bulbs at 50 yards offhand
using iron sights ... but my eyes have gotten to the point that I can no
longer focus on sights and target well enough to use iron . Hey , I even
machined the rail that came with that 2-7 LER to fit on my H&R single shot
..22 . It now wears a 3-9 that came on a .243 rifle I bought years ago
replaced with an 8-24 varmint scope IIRC .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They just started to allow scopes on muzzleloaders for hunting in NJ.
That could be enough to get me back into it.

However, I had cataract surgery on one eye last week and I can now see
better out of my shooting eye than I've seen in a couple of years. I'm
going for the other eye in January.

Seeing better really lifts your spirits. Oh, by the way, colors are
MUCH brighter and more saturated now, in the shooting eye. Now the
other eye looks like I'm looking through an 0.05 amber filter.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I have no major problems , just eyes that started out nearsighted and
slightly astigmatic getting older . I found my arms were getting too short
to focus on print media a few years ago and went to bifocal lenses . Now I
can focus at arms length or past about 4' with glasses , which leaves the
sights out of focus . I can focus on the sights w/out lenses , but that
leaves the target an indistinct blur . Both of these recently-mounted scopes
stay set on the lower powers . I don't need the magnification , just getting
everything in one focal plane is enough .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's the case with me, too. I think that old guys lobbied to change
our restriction on scopes for muzzleloaders. Before that was done, I
was wondering if we could get relief for 1x or 2x scopes, just for
that reason.

But now we can use any scope we want. I wish I still had the 12x
Unertl I had on my Browning 1885 falling-block. For deer hunting,
though, all you'd see is a patch of fur. g

--
Ed
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Which is why mine stay on low power . My blind is only about 20 yards from
where I bait them (legal in Arkansas) in front of my camera - though I might
move it farther away next summer . Not that anything helps much , they only
move at night right now - probably because the've been hunted now since the
end of September between archery . muzzleloader , and modern rifle hunts .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That old age thing...really isnt what its cracked up to be...sigh

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The Jonny and Eddy Comedy Hour . I get a lot of laughs out of these posts
. Ed , why do you bother ? Are you really that bored , or do you just enjoy
watching that fool froth at the mouth ? I can tell Bonqueers is compelled by
his mental illness ...
And I'm still waiting for him to show us something he's
fabricated/machined/produced in any way . I've been slack this week ,
haven't done much so far but a bit of deer hunting . With a muzzleloader I
built from a kit . (CVA Plains RIfle , .50 cal sidelock replica w/2-7 x 32
LER scope originally intended for a Mosin-Nagant shooting hand cast 176gr
patched balls .)

I did a little deer hunting myself. My middle son and I hunted Friday
evening and Saturday on a drawn hunt on Balcones Canyonlands NWR. Ben
got a doe Saturday morning and I got a spike at sunset. I had to
stand up and take the shot as he passed through a gap in the brush at
80 yds. Good thing it was close, I'm wobbly on my hind legs. I was
borrowing my youngest's rifle anticipating a longer shot.

Today I'm finishing the sausage.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
haven't done much so far but a bit of deer hunting . With a muzzleloader I
built from a kit . (CVA Plains RIfle , .50 cal sidelock replica w/2-7 x 32
LER scope originally intended for a Mosin-Nagant shooting hand cast 176gr
patched balls .)

Ah, I miss those CVA kits. I built a few of them. Still have two of the
completed guns. I was always amazed at how well they shot. My CVA Frontier
Carbine shoots one largish ragged hole at 50 yards, and it will hold under
3" (usually under 2) with round ball at 100. The proverbial 100 yards off
hand with a pattern no larger than a dinner plate is very doable with it.
My .45 Pennsylvania rifle was only marginally better at the expense of a
much longer barrel and atleast a couple pounds more weight. Those were
among the most affordable real hunting guns when I was a kid. It appears
they are gone now, and the few kit guns available are quite expensive by
comparison. I built two rifles, one side lock pistol, and a couple cap and
ball revolvers. Each one was a fun and different experience to build and
shoot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:

Sigh , there was a time when I could pop light bulbs at 50 yards offhand
using iron sights ... but my eyes have gotten to the point that I can no
longer focus on sights and target well enough to use iron . Hey , I even
machined the rail that came with that 2-7 LER to fit on my H&R single shot
.22 . It now wears a 3-9 that came on a .243 rifle I bought years ago
replaced with an 8-24 varmint scope IIRC .

That old age thing...really isnt what its cracked up to be...sigh

I got new glasses from the VA a few weeks ago. The doctor recommended
surgery to remove some skin from the eyelids, so they will open wider.
She had a lot of trouble doing some of the tests, because they wouldn't
open far enough on their own.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Black powder is like black magic! I never explored that potential
obsession.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Tom, it can be and IS a ****load of fun to shoot. One is surprised by
how accurate it can be and it takes game very well. The only downside
is the mandatory cleaning of the arm after a shooting session.
Cleaning them is easy though..pull the barrel wedge, take the barrel
to the kitchen sink or shower..pull the nipple with the wrench, run
HOT water through it..scrub a few strokes with a wire brush, wipe it
off, oil it, put it back together. Takes about 10-15 minutes total.
But it MUST be done within 24 hours of shooting.

I hunt with black powder arms a lot, simply because of the challenge.
It really puts meaning to "1 shot, 1 kill" and is a lot of fun
shooting cans and targets. If you cast your own bullets, its just
another cheap Lee mold to the collection. And yes..you can cast wheel
weights into balls or slugs for em.

Personally..I have ZIP interest in "inline" BP arms. They are not
"traditional" like caps or flint and most often, look like some sort
of aborted bolt action rifle.

Furthermore.black powder arms are not considered "firearms" in most
states and can be ordered via the mail in most states.

Kits can be fun, but there are few makers anymore. Ask around...there
are tons of black powder rifles taking up space in old guys gun
cabinets, that have lost interest in shooting them for various reasons
and you should be able to snag one for $100-150 in good
condition..albeit a little rusty in many cases..which really doesn't
hurt em.

A good "general" caliber is .50 and its capable of taking deer well.
The bigger 54 and 58 can take bear, elk, moose but can be more
expensive just in powder alone for plinking. A .44/45 is good as
well, but less common in the west. The smaller calibers...36 being a
common small game rifle caliber, can often be shared with some of the
civil war replica revolvers (along with some of the 44s) so you don't
need multiple moulds.

I prefer the 50/54 cal Hawken/Mountain rifle styles, simply because
they are short enough to be handy on foot or horseback, but the longer
Kentucky or military style rifles shoot very well and are also fun.

There are still quite a number of custom rifle makers, so if someone
lays out a name you don't recognize...do a quick Google ..you may be
overjoyed to find a very high quality custom made arm for cheap.

Id would not..not suggest a flintlock for a starter arm. Just
saying...

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If and when you do , please please please don't go the inline route .
"Real" black powder rifles use a sidelock , percussion caps , and powder
propellant instead of pellet powder and shotgun primers . I almost feel
guilty about the scope , but it was that or quit BP hunting .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Fri, 26 Dec 2014 08:36:46 -0800

Black powder is like black magic! I never explored that potential
obsession.

Tom, it can be and IS a ****load of fun to shoot. One is surprised by
how accurate it can be and it takes game very well. The only downside
is the mandatory cleaning of the arm after a shooting session.
Cleaning them is easy though..pull the barrel wedge, take the barrel
to the kitchen sink or shower..pull the nipple with the wrench, run
HOT water through it..scrub a few strokes with a wire brush, wipe it
off, oil it, put it back together. Takes about 10-15 minutes total.
But it MUST be done within 24 hours of shooting.

Shoot, we just poured boiling water down the barrel - making sure
the nipple or pan are not pointing at your leg. Nothing like getting
near boiling barrel wash pee'd on your leg. Just repeat until the
water runs clear - you can run a brush down it a couple times to knock
deposits loose - and by then the barrel will be warm enough to dry
quickly.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 21:09:11 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

I once ran a piece of aquarium hose from the nipple into an aluminum
pot while I swabbed the barrel with hot water. It left a black layer
on the pot that I had to sand off with 100-grit sandpaper.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I have one of those hoses (hand nozzle or douche bag hose I think)
that has the rubber thingy that goes over the faucet and hangs
on..and a piece of aluminum tubing that fits all the way down the
barrel.

Brush it while dry a couple swipes, turn on the hot water and douche
the barrel and let the water run with the tube at the bottom of the
barrel, while its standing in the sink for a few minutes. Brush again,
grab hot pad to hold the barrel, brush a couple strokes again, flush
one more time and let the water run out the nipple hole. Remove, oil
and slap the old girl back together. Fast and easy.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Fri, 26 Dec 2014 22:18:55 -0800
wrote:

[...]

In the Back yard, two cup measuring cup - but what ever works.
Sort of like making coffee - you can have the $2,000 advanced espresso
machine, or the $9.99 Mr Coffee.

Important thing it is that it is done.
--
pyotr filipivich

Comedy of Energy PeterC UK diy 5 April 8th 13 08:38 AM
Town vs. Homeowner. Town loses. HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 15 August 17th 11 03:25 PM
Let Us Make a Short Comedy [email protected] UK diy 0 January 20th 09 08:55 AM
HUGE LOT 8-TRACK DECKS-RECORDERS- CLEANING CARTRIDGES- TAPES- BY ARTIST-COMEDY- ROCK-POP-EZ LISTENING-CLASSICAL-C&W- DISCO- VOCALIST CAINE Electronics Repair 2 July 15th 06 02:38 AM
HF DC - The comedy continues mac davis Woodworking 6 November 22nd 04 03:49 PM