Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default clockworks - plans, sources??

Greetings and Salutations

The problem with not having money, is that you see things, and
instead of buying them, you go home and try to figure out how to make
one.

In this case, it was a lamp with a music box. The whole thing
looked like a 'cabin' with a waterwheel, with a lamp socket at the top
of the chimney. "cute". But, and this is the clever thing, there
were two doors - one served as the switch for the lamp, the other for
the music box, which also powered the water wheel. Slick. And cute.

So I went home and researched music boxes a bit. They run from $8
to $500, depending on quality, tunes and the like.

So I started sketching, counterweights, and pendulums and drums
and electro mechanical switches to start and stop an electric motor
for winding things up. Great fun. Realized "okay, this is called a
'clock work' for a reason. Somebody must have plans."

So that is the question - sources for plans for a "clock work" -
one that will run off of either a pendulum, or a wound spring.

And then, the sketchbook took over. (it is haunted I think). And
I wound up with a clock tower - clock at the top, waterwheel at the
base, and windows going up and around the tower - each one with a
miniature light bulb, sequenced to make it appear that someone is
climbing the tower, doing something in the upper room, then going back
down the stairs ... and then "when I look through the window I can see
...." and now I'm trying to figure out what motions are involved in
making an autotom gesture, write, wave out the window, conjure up
magic ...
What started out as something the size of a small footprint
desktop computer is rapidly turning into the size of the desktop
itself. Or maybe taking over the desk! Run! Run! It's alive!

Anyway, if anyone can post some pointers to clockwork plans, I'd
appreciate them.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
[...]

I'm amazed at what the ancients could do with only simple hand tools
like Jesus used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automaton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:39:10
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks,

The "difficulty" is in getting the thing planned. Reducing the
complexity of a "simple" gesture to the specific moves. E.g., the
motions of shoulder, elbow and wrist as you touch your forehead and
then your belly button? Or the famous "elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist"
parade wave? Simple to do, but to make a mechanical thing do it?

Oh well, on ward.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi, Pyotr.

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:55:52 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

[...]

Anyway, if anyone can post some pointers to clockwork plans, I'd
appreciate them.

I typed "wooden clock" into HackADay's search box and turned up these:

http://hackaday.com/2013/03/19/designing-and-building-a-wooden-mechanical-clock/
http://hackaday.com/2013/07/08/automata-and-wooden-gears/
http://hackaday.com/2011/07/31/do-you-have-what-it-takes-to-make-lumber-keep-time/

Those should be enough to get you started, but they're also likely to
make your imagination run off into yet-unexplored places and extend your
project. Be careful. grin!

Enjoy...

Frank McKenney
--
He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the
world was mad. -- Rafael Sabatini / Scaramouche

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Frnak McKenney on Sat, 23 Aug
2014 12:11:29 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
[...]

I can do that aaaaaaalll by myself.

I once had to come up with a "project" for machine shop class.
"Parallel holder". Yep, by the time I was done, we had a car driving
off the bridge to start the thing, it then pivots up like the monolith
in 2001, Godzilla stomps on Bambi causing the front of the monolith to
fold down and land on Godzilla's toe, and a bunch of deer with RPGs
light him up. Then the proper set of parallels are loaded into the
rocket pods on an attack helicopter, which then delivers them to the
machine.
Decide too much robotics and electronics for a machining project.
But it would have been cool. and a good entry in a Rube Goldberg
contest.
--
pyotr filipivich