Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting off Short Stock on the 4 x 6 HV Band Saw

I have several coffee cans of "shorts" that I just can't bring myself to toss. I will need to live to be at least 150 to use them all up. But--- I REALLY needed one yesterday. So I spent a lot of time designing a neat solution. THEN I went looking on the "net". Found several methods. Scrapped my plans and started all over.
Now I have a very simple solution. I will call it "Solution Number One Thousand and One".

Anyway, it's at:
http://www.spaco.org/MachineShop/4X6...ShortStock.htm

Pete Stanaitis
---------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a small vise that I clamp in the saw's vice, but I like your
solution better. Not that I have the need often enough to justify
making yours. Especially since I don't have a mill clamp set to borrow
from.

Regarding the rectangular stock limitation: if you take a piece of flat
stock at least as thick as the filet's radius and set the rectangular
stock on it, it will space up the stock away from the filet. Or place
the flat piece against the upright leg. Same effect.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I have several coffee cans of "shorts" that I just can't bring myself
to toss. I will need to live to be at least 150 to use them all up.
But--- I REALLY needed one yesterday. So I spent a lot of time
designing a neat solution. THEN I went looking on the "net". Found
several methods. Scrapped my plans and started all over.
Now I have a very simple solution. I will call it "Solution Number One
Thousand and One".

Anyway, it's at:
http://www.spaco.org/MachineShop/4X6...ShortStock.htm

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

My solution is less elegant than yours but so far it's been enough. I
drilled two more holes in the base of the fixed jaw to move it very
close to the blade for square cuts, and use the screw through the
moving jaw like you have to space out the far end if I can't find
another piece of the same scrap to hold the jaws parallel.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:33:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have several coffee cans of "shorts" that I just can't bring myself to toss. I will need to live to be at least 150 to use them all up. But--- I REALLY needed one yesterday. So I spent a lot of time designing a neat solution. THEN I went looking on the "net". Found several methods. Scrapped my plans and started all over.

Now I have a very simple solution. I will call it "Solution Number One Thousand and One".

Anyway, it's at:

http://www.spaco.org/MachineShop/4X6...ShortStock.htm
Pete Stanaitis

Pete, I like that a lot. A project for next week.

Thanks

Rex
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 15:33:37 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have several coffee cans of "shorts" that I just can't bring myself to toss. I will need to live to be at least 150 to use them all up. But--- I REALLY needed one yesterday. So I spent a lot of time designing a neat solution. THEN I went looking on the "net". Found several methods. Scrapped my plans and started all over.
Now I have a very simple solution. I will call it "Solution Number One Thousand and One".

Anyway, it's at:
http://www.spaco.org/MachineShop/4X6...ShortStock.htm

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Greetings Pete,
I finally got a chance to look at the link in your message and I like
it! While I don't have the ubiquitous 4x6 HV bandsaw anymore your idea
will work great in my larger bandsaw. The stationary vise jaw on my
bandsaw does not get real close to the blade. Most of the time this is
not a problem but I do have a few jobs where getting close and
personal the the blade will save me time and my customers money. Two
jobs in particular come to mind. For one job I saw up 5 inch diameter
aluminum bar stock into 1.6 inch lengths that get machined into
sheaves. The material is shipped to me in 6 foot lengths and each
length has that one last piece that is too long to make one part and
not quite long enough to make two parts. But trying to saw off that
last bit is a pain so I end up hogging the material off in the manual
lathe (a waste of material), or fiddling around with back up plates in
the saw to support the material when sawing and then using a slow feed
rate (a waste of time) on the saw so the part isn't pulled out of
square when sawing. My saw cuts very accurately so instead of using
hot rolled angle as is I'm going to machine a piece square. I will
however be using your clamping method because it is only for one part
per 6 foot piece of stock. And with several tapped holes easily
changed to any size the saw is capable of. Thanks a bunch for posting
your idea. It is what rcm is all about.
Eric