Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Im...embaressed.

Ive had this Miller 2050 plasma cutter for about 3-4 yrs so far..and
its been handier than sliced hogies..until it stopped working about a
year or so ago. Came up with "cup alarm" on the display. There was a
bad part of the "hose" about 2 feet below the gun (it was driven over
by a forklift by the previous owners people).

So I did a search on new guns..and found out it cost $900 to replace
the gun and cable. So earlier this evening..I got the diagrams online
and went out to troubleshoot the cutter and see exactly what was
wrong. I discovered while browsing online that there was something
called a "cup switch" which was inside the head of the gun. So I took
everything apart, did wire tracing and it all came up good. WTF?

I originally had last used the cutter to slice out some parts for a
project and then came back 2 weeks later to finish the job and that's
when I got the alarm.

Sigh...there is a right way..and a wrong way to assemble the
consumables on the torch..and evidently..the only person who it could
have been..was my ex roommate ..who must have taken the gun apart and
placed one of the parts in the wrong place..so when the consumables
were assembled..when one screwed on the cover..it pressed against
another part..which DIDNT close the "Cup Switch" inside the gun.

Ryan didnt bother to mention he had been playing with my tools.....so
when I started replacing consumables..I put them together exactly the
way I disassembled them.
Incorrectly.

$#!#$!!!!!

After reading the manual and checking out how the parts went in...I
discovered that the way it was assembled was wrong..and it didnt close
the "Cup Switch". Assembled it properly..fired up the air
compressor, hit the trigger and Voila!! Plasma!!

I cut several feet of steel plate..shaking my head at my own
buffoonery.

Id not take it to the Miller shop, because I knew it was going to cost
lots of money to fix..money that I didnt have.... so simply covered it
up for the past year +.

@#*^%~~`=!!!!

Sigh..now it works just ****ing jim dandy.

READ THE MANUAL! READ THE MANUAL!! READ THE ****ING MANUAL!!!

(sounds of banging forehead repeatedly on nearest steel bench top)

The good part ..it was a cheap fix. The bad part...it sat unused for
over a year while I burned O/A like a retard.

Snivel...

Gunner

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BTDT! Not exactly the same, of course, but conceptually the same. And
will do it again. Guaranteed.