Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Beyond spud guns

Here's a new hobby idea for the hard-core 2nd-Amendment types, who lust over
loaded howitzers as lawn ornaments, and MANPADS for duck hunting, etc.:

================================================== ==============================

ARDEC Engineers Using 3-D Printing To Revolutionize Shaped Charge
Explosives.
The AP (7/31, Ernst) reports that researchers at the US Army Armament
Research, Development, and Engineering Center believe that 3-D printing
€świll present security experts and policy makers with capabilities
previously unimaginable.€ť The AP quotes James Zunino, materials engineer
with the center, saying, €śOnce you get into detonation physics, you open up
a whole new universe.€ť The piece reports that Zuninos work €śinvolves
figuring out how different layers of explosive material can be packaged in
new shapes to get a very specific result.€ť

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
Here's a new hobby idea for the hard-core 2nd-Amendment types, who
lust over loaded howitzers as lawn ornaments, and MANPADS for duck
hunting, etc.:

================================================== ==============================

ARDEC Engineers Using 3-D Printing To Revolutionize Shaped Charge
Explosives.
The AP (7/31, Ernst) reports that researchers at the US Army
Armament Research, Development, and Engineering Center believe that
3-D printing "will present security experts and policy makers with
capabilities previously unimaginable." The AP quotes James Zunino,
materials engineer with the center, saying, "Once you get into
detonation physics, you open up a whole new universe." The piece
reports that Zunino's work "involves figuring out how different
layers of explosive material can be packaged in new shapes to get a
very specific result."

--
Ed Huntress

If they could only 3-D print Plutonium...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...

[...]

[Ed]

Be careful what you wish for....

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:24:34 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

It ought to be easy with these multi-nozzle printers. You just fill one hopper with electrons, one with protons and one with neutrons and have at it.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if, in a hundred or a thousand years, such a machine would actually exist.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck fired this volley in
:

It ought to be easy with these multi-nozzle printers. You just fill
one hopper with electrons, one with protons and one with neutrons and
have at it.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if, in a hundred or a thousand years, such
a machine would actually exist.

IBM did something akin to that way back in 1989. They moved around
individual atoms of Xenon on a substrate to spell out "IBM" at scanning-
tunneling microscopy size.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:27:18 AM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
rangerssuck fired this volley in

:

It ought to be easy with these multi-nozzle printers. You just fill

one hopper with electrons, one with protons and one with neutrons and

have at it.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if, in a hundred or a thousand years, such

a machine would actually exist.

IBM did something akin to that way back in 1989. They moved around

individual atoms of Xenon on a substrate to spell out "IBM" at scanning-

tunneling microscopy size.

Lloyd

Take a look at this - there's some awfully cool stuff going on out there...
http://www.research.ibm.com/articles...id=UYA9Qz_LoPd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:24:34 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
If they could only 3-D print Plutonium...

It ought to be easy with these multi-nozzle printers. You just fill
one hopper with electrons, one with protons and one with neutrons
and have at it.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if, in a hundred or a thousand years,
such a machine would actually exist.

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/65715-neutron-gun/
You can pull an electron gun out of the neck of an old CRT and protons
are just ionized hydrogen.
http://www.cbs8.com/story/24766749/n...t-center-opens

You can even buy an antimatter gun:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positro...n_spectroscopy

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003827.htm
Leave the Dilithium jewelry at home.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:24:34
"Ed Huntress" wrote:
[...]

It is being worked on. Maybe not intentionally working on
'printing' Plut parts, but eventually there will be some work with
reactive metals. Like Aluminum.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

rangerssuck fired this volley in
:

It ought to be easy with these multi-nozzle printers. You just fill
one hopper with electrons, one with protons and one with neutrons and
have at it.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if, in a hundred or a thousand years, such
a machine would actually exist.

IBM did something akin to that way back in 1989. They moved around
individual atoms of Xenon on a substrate to spell out "IBM" at scanning-
tunneling microscopy size.

Did they ever state how long they remained where you put them? That
would be a way to put permanent serial numbers on expensive components..

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

It is being worked on. Maybe not intentionally working on
'printing' Plut parts, but eventually there will be some work with
reactive metals. Like Aluminum.

Custom printed aluminum beanies, for the loons?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

Did they ever state how long they remained where you put them? That
would be a way to put permanent serial numbers on expensive

components..

Well... xenon might not be the best candidate there, as it's a gas at
STP, but I'm sure other atoms - like precious metals - might be
manipulated the same way.

The problems are mass and reactivity. Higher electron beam energies to
move more massive atoms. Xenon was probably chosen because it is inert
and light. No real dangers of its entering into chemical reactions with
the substrate, which might move the dots.

Helium might have worked, too, but the atoms are so small that maybe even
scanning-tunneling might not have shown them up very well -- if at all.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:
[...]

Printing powdered metals and sintering them with a laser is already being
done. I was just inquiring today with a company involved in it, to see what
density they've achieved. It's high, but apparently they haven't hit 98%
yet, which is about what you get with conventional pressing and sintering,
plus a post-sinter "hit" with a press.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

Did they ever state how long they remained where you put them? That
would be a way to put permanent serial numbers on expensive

components..

Well... xenon might not be the best candidate there, as it's a gas at
STP, but I'm sure other atoms - like precious metals - might be
manipulated the same way.

The problems are mass and reactivity. Higher electron beam energies to
move more massive atoms. Xenon was probably chosen because it is inert
and light. No real dangers of its entering into chemical reactions with
the substrate, which might move the dots.

Helium might have worked, too, but the atoms are so small that maybe even
scanning-tunneling might not have shown them up very well -- if at all.

I felt it was a Gee-Wiz, PR type of thing when they first announced
it. The magazine I saw it in proclaimed it as the perfect computer
memory. Useless trade journals strike again!

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 31 Jul 2014
14:15:58 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

[...]

Proof of concept. "Okay, we know it works, can we do it in a
manner which will scale up and be 'commercial'?"
Sort of how Henry Ford built a horseless carriage in his shop, but
built a factory to churn them out by the hundreds.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

[...]

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQf0JG8Uj8

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PCS PCS is offline

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:12:09 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
Here's a new hobby idea for the hard-core 2nd-Amendment types, who lust over

loaded howitzers as lawn ornaments, and MANPADS for duck hunting, etc.:

Speaking of lawn ornaments Ed, do you know what ever happened to Existential Angst (Kris)?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PCS" wrote in message

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:12:09 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
Here's a new hobby idea for the hard-core 2nd-Amendment types, who lust
over

loaded howitzers as lawn ornaments, and MANPADS for duck hunting, etc.:

Speaking of lawn ornaments Ed, do you know what ever happened to Existential
Angst (Kris)?

I haven't heard from him for a long time. I'll try sending him email.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 31 Jul 2014
23:35:45 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:
[...]

Ah, an oldy, but a goodie.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Proof of concept. "Okay, we know it works, can we do it in a
manner which will scale up and be 'commercial'?"

Sort of how Henry Ford built a horseless carriage in his shop,
but built a factory to churn them out by the hundreds.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQf0JG8Uj8

Ah, an oldy, but a goodie.

He tells it like it is.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.