Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chair Glides

On 5/26/2014 5:05 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
One of life's minor problems that can become major aggravations are the
glides one installs on the legs of chairs to protect the floor as
people shuffle the chairs around.

I've tried a lot of things. Glides that are nailed to the end of the
leg always seem to pull out, and tear the floor up if not caught in
time. Soft plastic mushrooms. Felt wears out and also captures grit.
Polished steel works, but seems to come only in nail-style glides.
And so on.

snippage

Joe Gwinn

Screws, Joe. Not nails.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One of life's minor problems that can become major aggravations are the
glides one installs on the legs of chairs to protect the floor as
people shuffle the chairs around.

I've tried a lot of things. Glides that are nailed to the end of the
leg always seem to pull out, and tear the floor up if not caught in
time. Soft plastic mushrooms. Felt wears out and also captures grit.
Polished steel works, but seems to come only in nail-style glides.
And so on.

Gradually a list of requirements formed:

1. Must attach using a screw. No nails!

2. Must have a hard smooth durable surface that will not accumulate or
embed grit.

3. It should not wear out in less than ten years.

4. It cannot rust or corrode in indoor service.

5. It would be nice if they accommodate slightly uneven floors.

6. It would be nice if they weren't too expensive.

I did think of polished thick (stainless) steel washers countersunk to
accept a flat head wood screw. These can be found, but they are
something like $5 per washer. I could make them, but it would be a lot
of washers to make. And I'm not the first to have this problem, so
there has to be a commercial product.

Then I thought of engineering plastics, the expensive kinds that don't
so easily mushroom under pressure. Delrin jumped to mind, as it is
quite strong and hard, can be press fit (does not creep), and is very
slippery. Makes good bearings. This I could also machine, and a lot
more easily than with stainless steel.

On a lark, I googled on "delrin chair glide". Bingo - somebody already
makes them. So I bought a bunch and installed them on the four dining
room chairs several months ago. They worked very well, so I installed
them on the six kitchen chairs in May 2014. And replaced two failing
nail-style glides just in time to save the floor.

The glides I'm using are "Forever Glides" from Max-Tech Products, Inc,
Englewood, CO. I got them from Sportys Tool Shop because Sportys had a
reasonable price, and had all the styles and colors. Transaction was
smooth. Cost less than $1 per chair leg, when bought in a pack of 20.

...http://www.sportys.com/ToolShop

Each glide consists of four parts: Bottom and top, both of
injection-molded delrin, a piece of double-stick foam tape that goes
between top and bottom, and a steel sheet-metal screw that attaches the
top to the chair leg. The double-stick foam tape looks like the
neoprene stuff used to attach trim to automobiles. These glides are
actually rated for outdoor use on patios.

Although not mentioned in the installation instructions, it's useful to
make a drill guide out of a small block of aluminum so the drilled
holes will be perpendicular to the bottoms of the chair legs and the
screws will go in straight.

For those interested in the gritty details, the patent numbers are
5,680,673; 7,762,506; and patent application 2008/0148522.

Joe Gwinn