DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   FAL locking shoulder machine jig (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/368873-fal-locking-shoulder-machine-jig.html)

Karl Townsend March 16th 14 01:55 AM

FAL locking shoulder machine jig

I keep sorting though my locking shoulders for FAL when headspacing.
You can file a couple thou but its getting where the only shoulders I
have left are way to thick. So, my evening project build a fixture to
machine locking shoulders.

For me the trick part was measuring the exact angle between the lock
surface and the locating ear. its 11 degrees. Actually I got 11 on two
shoulders and 11.5 on another. See pic for my setup

I then machined a block to hold the locking shoulder. Couple points on
this jig. I made the locating ear stick up 1 RCH (red c$%^t hair) so
the shoulder would clamp tight in the vice. I also made the block
exactly 1 inch higher than the shoulder measurement. Then I can put a
1-2 mike on the shoulder in the jig and measure exactly where its at
without removing from the mill.

http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/FAL...11_degrees.jpg
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/FAL...achine_jig.jpg

Terry Coombs[_2_] March 16th 14 02:54 AM

Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Hey Karl , your links have been altered .
--
Snag