Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Thanks for all the replys

Hi all.......again,

Thanks for all the answers to my post. I do have the book recommended,
'How to Run a Lathe'. I should have looked in there for nomenclature
first.
The part that is missing is shown on page 8 and is designated Eccentric
shaft, Quill gear, bushing, and a smaller gear that goes on the other end
of the shaft. The Compound Rest Top is the problem I am having trouble
removing. There is the nut for the screw that controls the feed for the
tool post in the base and I don't know how to remove it. I can see the
bottom of it underneath the base and there is no screwdriver slot in it. I
think it is called the cross feed nut??? There is no screw on the top that
holds it.
The lathe is a 9" x 4.5 feet according to the brass plate on the end.
The apron has a wheel for travel and a lever for engaging the lead screw.
There is no 'gear box' or any bells or whistles, this is a pretty basic
machine....good to learn on.
I am really stuck on the removal of the compound rest top. I am
thinking about a bit of heat from a propane torch but am reluctant because
of all the cast iron and the expansion issues therein. It looks like when
everything is clean and bright that the re-assembly would entail simply
pushing the part (cross feed nut) into place with a finger from underneath
while engaging the cross feed screw with your other hand while holding the
nut in place. In this less than perfect world I have to figure how to get
that puppy out first. More suggestions and advise gladly welcomed.
Sid Gammon

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ys-594124-.htm