Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Thanks for all the replys

"Sid Gammon" wrote
I am really stuck on the removal of the compound rest top. I am
thinking about a bit of heat from a propane torch but am reluctant
because
of all the cast iron and the expansion issues therein. It looks like
when
everything is clean and bright that the re-assembly would entail
simply
pushing the part (cross feed nut) into place with a finger from
underneath
while engaging the cross feed screw with your other hand while
holding the
nut in place. In this less than perfect world I have to figure how
to get
that puppy out first. More suggestions and advise gladly welcomed.
Sid Gammon

On my 1965 SB the compound feed screw comes out by unscrewing its
bearing assembly, the stationary disk with the dial index pointer.
http://www.cams-club.org/meeting-history/2008-03-25/Tex_R's_Screw&Dial2.jpg

With the feed screw out and the gibs loosened it disassembled easily
to clean up the worn dovetails.
jsw