Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DNC to Anilam Crusader II

Witch would be the correct port for the rs232?
My machine has two db 25 pin com ports. One female and one male. Inside to cnc the male looks to have about 7 wires. The female has a rainbow ribbon wire strip.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-03-04, wrote:
Witch would be the correct port for the rs232?

My machine has two db 25 pin com ports. One female and one male.
Inside to cnc the male looks to have about 7 wires. The female has a
rainbow ribbon wire strip.

As my memory goes, it would be the Female, which could connect
to either a little micro-cassette recorder, or to a computer via RS-232
through the same connector. I forget if I ever knew what the other
connector was for. (This was back in the late 1980s or early 1990s at
work, and I helped use a PC to capture program listings and to figure
out how the canned cycles handled variable storage.) In reality, RS-232
only *needs* three pins if speed is not a problem, or for full
handshaking, perhaps seven (RXD, TXD, RTS, CTS, DSR DTR and common
ground). Sometimes a safety ground on pin one in addition). But the
ribbon cable was the easier way tw wire things up without errors.

You did have to punch in special M-codes to switch that serial
port between talking to the tape and talking to the computer.

So -- both *may* be RS-232. The way to check this is:

Pin 7 is the common ground.
Pin 1 may be a safety ground, so you could measure a short between the
to.

Pins 2 and 3 are the data send and receive pins.

Pins 4 and 5 are the DSR and DTR pins.

Pins 6 and 20 are the DTR and DSR.

Only one of each pair is an output (and no, I don't remember
which is which, though I could look it up at need). The outputs can be
anything between -15V and +15V (the minus voltage at rest, IIRC). The
inputs will look like something lower than 3V. All these measurements
are relative to pin 7.

If all the voltages are between 0V an 5V, it could be a parallel
port for a printer, though I don't remember any ability to use a printer
on the system. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Brent,

The male is the RS232 communication port, and should be marked as such
on the cabinet. It requires "null modem" cabling/connection. Of the
two, it should be the port closer to the center of the cabinet.

The female is noted as "RECORDER", (whatever that means). It is
closer to the edge of the cabinet.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 15:36:26 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Witch would be the correct port for the rs232?
My machine has two db 25 pin com ports. One female and one male. Inside to cnc the male looks to have about 7 wires. The female has a rainbow ribbon wire strip.

---