DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wood heat in a shop (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/367377-wood-heat-shop.html)

SteveB[_15_] February 4th 14 06:01 AM

Wood heat in a shop

I am getting ready to buy/build 55 wood stoves for my shop. I see the
single stackers, the doubles, all kinds. The shop is roughly 15360. It
is 40 x 32, 8' high, roof varies from 2' to 6' above that low slope.

I like it warm. I wouldn't mind having two stoves, and take them out
and switch them with the swampers each year.

I see Wolfzang (sp?) stoves, and their ilk, which is just a pretty well
sealed up 55 gal barrel. I see others, with what looks like varying
degrees of craftsmanship, mass of metal in components, differences in
vents, and a few things that makes one better than the other, as in
thicker metal, more bolts, more vents, etc.

What makes a good wood burner, and what is good to look for? Are the
more expensive ones inherently more efficient? And just what does the
second barrel do, other than provide greater surface area? And would it
be possible to mount the second top barrel somewhere other than directly
over the lower one to take heat to another portion of the shop?

Just how airtight are these? Is it necessary to monitor them very
closely with CO detectors, or is the inherent leakage of a hobbyiist
built enclosure safe enough?

Would one single stove be enough? Two singles? Two doubles?

And just how often does one have to paint these? In my area, I can get
pristine coconut oil barrels for $10 each with lids, so changing them
over the years would be probably easier than keeping up with a swamp cooler.

Class?

Steve

John B.[_3_] February 4th 14 12:07 PM

Wood heat in a shop

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 23:01:44 -0700, SteveB wrote:

[...]

When I was a lad wood stoves were pretty common. Both grand parents
houses, my Uncle's work shop, the first house my folks built... One of
the biggest secrets was to run the stove pipe a long way down the
room.. that hot stove pipe pours a lot of BTU's into the room.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Terry Coombs[_2_] February 4th 14 01:56 PM

Wood heat in a shop

Gunner Asch wrote:

Btw...you are aware that the EPA just banned the use of most wood
stoves and fireplaces..right?

Gunner

And how do you think this will play out ? Over half of the people we know
up here heat with wood - and these same people are already pretty fed up
with being told what we can't do . These same people also have guns and know
how to use them ... I suspect the feral hog population around here will be
well-fed if they try to take away our heat . There just aren't any
affordable options out here in the woods . Electric isn't an option any more
, with the increasing regulation on power generation making it too expensive
, and LPG is being priced out of reach now too . Natural gas isn't available
out here , it's just not profitable to run pipelines out here due to low
population density . That leaves wood or solar , and very few of us can
afford the equipment investment for solar , much less the cost of
retrofitting .
I see scary times ahead , this may just be that proverbial final straw .
They've indoctrinated our children , they've adulterated our food supply and
made health care unaffordable for most of us . Now they want to take away
our source of heat ? I think that ain't gonna happen .
--
Snag
What's next ,

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 4th 14 02:21 PM

Wood heat in a shop

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

I've been told the barrels don't hold up well, and it's no fun having
one fail with a hot fire burning.

I have a CO detector with a digital readout and test it over hot
charcoal in the ash bucket periodically.

Do you know how many BTUs you need now?

Terry Coombs[_2_] February 4th 14 02:45 PM

Wood heat in a shop

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Do you think those barrel stoves would last longer if the burn area was
lined with castable? refractory or firebrick ? Our stove has bricks in
the lower part , and the firebox is made of relatively light sheet metal .
There are areas above the brick where it has gotten hot enough to deform the
metal , we don't fill
it up too much because of that .
--
Snag

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 4th 14 03:53 PM

Wood heat in a shop

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 01:51:24 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 00:25:45 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

Frankly...I dont like the 55gallon drum stoves. They are thin metal
and tend to burn through in a couple years..based on my experiences
with them when I lived back in Michigan.

If...if you can find some pipe line pipe or even galvanized culvert
metal..you would be better off..mind you that the galvanized has to be
vented pretty well for the first couple dozen firings.

Gunner

Rocket stove is a term to search on...they work very well.

Btw...you are aware that the EPA just banned the use of most wood
stoves and fireplaces..right?

That's the first smart thing the EPA has ever done. Stoves are up to
400x more polluting than any other form of heat. I thought Merlin was
all fogged in until I got a mile in, where I smelled smoke. After I
had driven the 6th mile, I found one single stove at the little market
across from Hugo Road which had been causing all the smoke. Everything
upwind was overcast but smoke and fog-free.

I'm sure that other stoves had combined to make that smoke, but the
main source was one stove, a fact which still amazes me. I really
dislike the damned things. The neighbor's pellet stove releases a
chemical odor in the smoke which gnaws at my throat. What the hell is
in those pellets, anyway? Glue? Pellet stoves produce considerably
less smoke.

http://tinyurl.com/m7uxyqm
http://tinyurl.com/l6sorgz (googled. not my usual stop, eek!)

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.

[email protected] February 4th 14 05:17 PM

Wood heat in a shop

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 07:56:43 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

JEEZ Terry! Someone spouts off and you don't even check it out but
start talking about guns and pig feed? Simmer down. The EPA is not
going to ban the use of wood burning stoves in our life time.
Furthermore, stoves already in place will not need to be removed.
Washington State, where I live, has one of the most, if not the most,
restrictive standards on wood stove pollution. And we have burn bans.
But the burn bans do not apply if the stove is your only source of
heat. And if you cannot afford the power, gas, or oil to heat your
house then burning wood to heat your home is OK during a burn ban. I
have a modern wood burning stove that meets the WA State regs and it
doesn't have a catalytic converter. Partly because of the tighter regs
the stove must be more efficient. This is great because not only does
the stove pollute less but I am able to heat a 2200 square foot home
burning alder, which I harvest myself from my land. And I mean heat
it well, sometimes I get a little too enthusiastic filling the thing
and the house gets too hot.
Cheers,
Eric

---

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 4th 14 05:23 PM

Wood heat in a shop

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Do you think those barrel stoves would last longer if the burn area
was lined with castable? refractory or firebrick ? Our stove has
bricks in the lower part , and the firebox is made of relatively
light sheet metal . There are areas above the brick where it has
gotten hot enough to deform the metal , we don't fill
it up too much because of that .
--
Snag

I know only how my own stove works. Over many years its cast iron
inner side baffles deteriorated and I patched them with first ~16
gauge steel which burned through, then scrap stainless which has held
up well.

Except where the preheated secondary air enters the rest of the
interior is starved of oxygen and even the original bolts that hold it
together while partly assembled are still in good condition. I don't
trust them and have stored my welding firebricks under the stove so if
a leg fails it won't fall.
jsw

Terry Coombs[_2_] February 4th 14 05:37 PM

Wood heat in a shop

wrote:
JEEZ Terry! Someone spouts off and you don't even check it out but
start talking about guns and pig feed? Simmer down. The EPA is not
going to ban the use of wood burning stoves in our life time.
Cheers,
Eric

Bad night , got up to a fire that was nearly out and in a bad mood . Yeah
, I did overreact , checked some more facts from a different source and
realized it .
--
Snag

SteveB[_15_] February 4th 14 05:52 PM

Wood heat in a shop

On 2/4/2014 6:56 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I see scary times ahead , this may just be that proverbial final straw .
They've indoctrinated our children , they've adulterated our food supply and
made health care unaffordable for most of us . Now they want to take away
our source of heat ? I think that ain't gonna happen .

Fat liberals have a lot of high btu lard on them. There's lots of them
around. If one could just find a way to handle the smell.

steve

SteveB[_15_] February 4th 14 05:58 PM

Wood heat in a shop

On 2/4/2014 7:21 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I've been told the barrels don't hold up well, and it's no fun having
one fail with a hot fire burning.

I have a CO detector with a digital readout and test it over hot
charcoal in the ash bucket periodically.

Do you know how many BTUs you need now?

No idea on btu. I'd have digital CO detectors, and I was wondering
about burnthrough, although the barrels are cheap. But no doubt about
burnthrough incidents.

Steve

SteveB[_15_] February 4th 14 05:59 PM

Wood heat in a shop

On 2/4/2014 7:45 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Do you think those barrel stoves would last longer if the burn area was
lined with castable? refractory or firebrick ? Our stove has bricks in
the lower part , and the firebox is made of relatively light sheet metal .
There are areas above the brick where it has gotten hot enough to deform the
metal , we don't fill
it up too much because of that .
--
Snag

Now, there's an idea. I had actually thought of something like that,
thinking that building on the barrel metal would not be a good idea.
And a grate would probably accelerate deformation.

Steve

Jim Wilkins[_2_] February 4th 14 07:54 PM

Wood heat in a shop

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:

I've fine-tuned my efficient 1970's airtight so it rarely emits any
visible smoke, and have a night-vision camera watching the chimney
top
and a readout of the firebox temperature in the kitchen to monitor
it.
I needed several years of experimenting in various weather
conditions
and some instrumentation to eliminate the smoke and stack buildup.

That's the reason I use thermocouples instead of IC temperature
sensors.

Can you give me a basic rundown on how you eliminated smoke when on
a slow burn ? Mine doesn't make a lot , but some . It's an airtight
with an inlet damper .
--
Snag

I installed a mirror outside so I could see the chimney top while
sitting in front of the stove.

It would smoke badly if I followed the instructions for a slow
"cigarette burn". Instead I leave a channel open down the center, in
line with the air inlet, that lets the full length of the wood burn
from the center outward, for about an hour at a steady temperature
before it starts to cool. The display in the kitchen tells me when it
needs feeding again.

http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/eba...0440642291.jpg
Mine is the 1970's Taiwanese copy. The happy draft disk setting is
closed against a 3-4mm Allen wrench.

The long and tedious experimenting was to leak just enough additional
preheated secondary air into the upper chamber to completely burn the
smoke without cooling the flue and reducing the draft, or becoming
unstable and running away. Those things can be hard to tame.

Terry Coombs[_2_] February 4th 14 08:21 PM

Wood heat in a shop

Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

OK , yours is a totally different beast . Mine has no secondary burn ,
just a box with the bottom half lined with fire bricks . Seals up well , and
is easily controlled by the inlet air setting . My biggest problem is
actually excess heat ... my neighbor up the hill has the same stove , he
heats about 1400 SF with it . Our room "baby house" and camper combined
are less than half that . I compensate by not feeding it too much during the
day , then loading up just before I go to bed and setting the knob on "low"
..
--
Snag

[email protected] February 4th 14 08:33 PM

Wood heat in a shop

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:45:01 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

Do you think those barrel stoves would last longer if the burn area was

lined with castable? refractory or firebrick ? Our stove has bricks in

the lower part , and the firebox is made of relatively light sheet metal ..

There are areas above the brick where it has gotten hot enough to deform the

metal , we don't fill

it up too much because of that .

--

Snag

Take a look at www.vtwoodsmoke.org/pdf/hill-79.pdf

One of the professors at the University of Maine came up with this design of a wood furnace. The basic idea is to burn the wood in a very hot area and then collect the heat into water. You locate the furnace outside so no fire hazard in the house and no mess carrying the wood inside.

Dan

PrecisionmachinisT February 4th 14 09:46 PM

Wood heat in a shop

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._fruitcake.jpg

[email protected] February 5th 14 04:13 AM

Wood heat in a shop

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:01:44 AM UTC-5, SteveB wrote:

What makes a good wood burner, and what is good to look for? Are the

more expensive ones inherently more efficient? And just what does the

second barrel do, other than provide greater surface area? And would it

be possible to mount the second top barrel somewhere other than directly

over the lower one to take heat to another portion of the shop?

Just how airtight are these? Is it necessary to monitor them very

closely with CO detectors, or is the inherent leakage of a hobbyiist

built enclosure safe enough?

Steve

The EPA ought to publish plans for an efficient wood stove that meets their standards. But they do not. They just publish a list of approved stoves that have been tested and has passed their standards. The list does not even show the actual test results. Just shows a figure that is the max limit for emisions. And of course if you install a stove that does not meet their standards , you are breaking the law.

So you have several options for stoves to install in your shop. One is to ignore the law and build your own. Another is to buy a used stove that meets the requirements. And of course you can buy a new stove.

But you can build a wood furnace and use it. It does not have to meet any standards. In addition it can be outside the shop so the wood does not have te be brought into the shop. And that also reduces the fire hazard.

My neighbor has a wood furnace located in a shed on his property. It is not very efficient and put out a fair amount of smoke. So he burns it early in the morning. The furnace designed by Richard Hill is efficient. It hurns the wood in a cast refractory chamber so it burns very hot. Then exhausts thru a fire tube boiler. So it produces very little smoke.

If you do build your own furnace or stove, you really want it to be as efficient as possible. Wood stoves require a fair amount of work, so the more efficient is is, the less wood you have to cut and haul.

My solution was to buy a used wood stove. I bought it from a guy that had it in pieces. He was planning on refurbishing it before he installed it. But then found his town would not permit any wood stoves, regardless of their being on the EPA's list.

Dan

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 5th 14 05:00 AM

Wood heat in a shop

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Jackson County, OR (medford, down the road) has a similar setup.

http://www.co.jackson.or.us/page.asp?navid=2492 county
and state
http://www.deq.state.or.us/aq/burnin.../heatsmart.htm

Steve W.[_4_] February 5th 14 05:28 AM

Wood heat in a shop

SteveB wrote:
[...]

I built one like these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g9KL_59J_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIjXH1bEWgA

Mine is set up a bit different. I used a 275 drum, then double walled
the bottom and installed fire brick. The double walls extend to the top
of the sides. Also used some steel to make a baffle that channels the
smoke to the end of the stove, then up over the tubes and out to a
second heat exchanger. Then out the chimney. Heats a 30X40 with 12'
walls just fine. Plus with an add-on I burn waste oil as available.

My first one used the cast door kit from Vogelzang because I had one.
Worked OK but the size was restrictive. Built the next door out of some
1/4" plate and reinforcements. Worked much better. Also added a small
fan on the air inlet to give a faster start-up from cold.

--
Steve W.

PrecisionmachinisT February 5th 14 07:27 AM

Wood heat in a shop

wrote in message

you can build a wood furnace and use it. It does not have to meet any
standards.

Ya, sure thing, Dan....

[email protected] February 5th 14 04:37 PM

Wood heat in a shop

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Well it only makes sense. We can't have too many wood burning heaters
running all winter because of the pollution. At the same time we can't
have folks freezing and pipes freezing in the winter in homes where
the people are already living with small incomes. I argue with myself
about whether to burn wood. Electricity that I use comes partly from
fossil fuels. Propane is also a fossil fuel. But I am growing wood
faster than I burn it so if I burn wood I will put less carbon in the
air than if I use electricity or propane for heat. On the other hand I
also put bad particulates into the air when burning wood.
Eric

---

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 5th 14 06:30 PM

Wood heat in a shop

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Until we get fusion, we burn fossil fuels or (better) use reactors. If
we use reactors which can burn the spent fuel, so much the better.

But I am growing wood
faster than I burn it so if I burn wood I will put less carbon in the
air than if I use electricity or propane for heat.

You realize the utter _bull****_ of that statement, don't you? sigh
You're growing trees anyway, so the use of propane would be much, much
better for the ecology. BANK on it.

On the other hand I
also put bad particulates into the air when burning wood.

At rates many orders of magnitude larger, too.

And much mo
http://www.familiesforcleanair.org/w...ion-Chart..jpg
(Crom, I hate quoting from econazi sites, but, occasionally, they're
actually right on the money.)

[email protected] February 5th 14 06:51 PM

Wood heat in a shop

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Greetings Larry,
It is debateable whether burning fossil fuels or wood is ultimately
the better solution when it comes to greenhouse effects. Burning
fossil fuels releases carbon into the environment, and energy too,
that was sequestered thousands or millions of years ago. Burning
vegetable matter and releasing CO2 at a rate slower than it absorbs as
it grows does not add to the net carbon in the air or the heat of the
planet. But unless burned in a proper power plant with scrubbers that
remove everything except CO2, vegetable matter burning can and does
contribute all sorts of particulates and other bad stuff to the air.
Eric

---

Michael A. Terrell February 5th 14 11:54 PM

Wood heat in a shop

Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

What about a catalytic converter?

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 6th 14 04:30 AM

Wood heat in a shop

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

HowDEE!

It is debateable whether burning fossil fuels or wood is ultimately
the better solution when it comes to greenhouse effects.

I figured any debate was over when I looked at the difference in
pollution between the two, with wood and coal so -much- higher than
any (other) fossil fuel. ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE different. Wood stoves
up to 400x the pollutants of nat gas/propane. It isn't rocket surgery.

Burning
fossil fuels releases carbon into the environment, and energy too,
that was sequestered thousands or millions of years ago. Burning
vegetable matter and releasing CO2 at a rate slower than it absorbs as
it grows does not add to the net carbon in the air or the heat of the
planet. But unless burned in a proper power plant with scrubbers that
remove everything except CO2, vegetable matter burning can and does
contribute all sorts of particulates and other bad stuff to the air.

Who brainwashed you to think along this line? (Sorry, but that's the
way I see it.)

I'm thinking we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

[email protected] February 6th 14 05:04 PM

Wood heat in a shop

SNIP
Burning
fossil fuels releases carbon into the environment, and energy too,
that was sequestered thousands or millions of years ago. Burning
vegetable matter and releasing CO2 at a rate slower than it absorbs as
it grows does not add to the net carbon in the air or the heat of the
planet. But unless burned in a proper power plant with scrubbers that
remove everything except CO2, vegetable matter burning can and does
contribute all sorts of particulates and other bad stuff to the air.

Who brainwashed you to think along this line? (Sorry, but that's the
way I see it.)

I'm thinking we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

If I only burn plants that growing now then I'm not adding to the
total carbon in the environment. But if I burn fossil fuels then I am
adding to the carbon in the environment. The environment being the
surface of the earth where everything lives. Or am I wrong. And if so
please point out where I'm making a misteak.
Eric

---

Ignoramus18213 February 6th 14 06:22 PM

Wood heat in a shop

On 2014-02-06, wrote:
And if so please point out where I'm making a misteak.

^^^^^^^

Right there

[email protected] February 6th 14 09:27 PM

Wood heat in a shop

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 12:22:46 -0600, Ignoramus18213

On 2014-02-06, wrote:
And if so please point out where I'm making a misteak.

^^^^^^^

Right there

The mistake in the sentence is the last word. Meant as a pun. I'm glad
someone got it.
Eric

---

John B.[_3_] February 6th 14 10:31 PM

Wood heat in a shop

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 09:04:35 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Remember too, in your green frenzy, that exhaling adds carbon to the
environment..... Perhaps less breathing?
--
Cheers,

John B.

[email protected] February 6th 14 11:10 PM

Wood heat in a shop

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 05:31:00 +0700, John B.
wrote:

[...]

I'm not having a green frenzy. And besides, I'm sure my farts
contribute to the greenhouse effect much more than the CO2 I exhale.
But how about you answer the question? If I'm wrong in my statements
correct me.
Eric

---

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 6th 14 11:13 PM

Wood heat in a shop

[...]

The steak is missing where you think putting pollution into the air
where is WAS on the ground is OK while taking it from under the ground
is not OK. It's the same to me. Cutting down a tree removes if from
taking CO2 from the air and producing oxygen. Then you want to burn
it, on top of that?

So, using a fuel (wood) which is four hundred times more polluting
than another (propane/natgas), while being -aware- of that difference,
seems downright irresponsible. That's where we differ. I don't see
folks who do this as having any kind of moral high ground at all.

Growing trees to compensate for our carbon footprint is fine with me,
but reducing the amount of our pollution seems to be the best bet yet.
I've been an environmentalist since 1969, but refuse to call myself
that any more, given the total ecoterrorist makeup of most enviros
nowadays. Crikey, what a mess.

And the EPA wants to take the last ten-billionth of a percent of
something instead of stopping things which are putting out tens of
percents of those ghastly greenhouse gases. Go figure. Me? I take
the cuts where they matter most. Like swapping from coal to nuclear
power. INSTANT (what, 50%?) decrease in global greenhouse emissions
and a metric ****load less heat produced, too.

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 6th 14 11:14 PM

Wood heat in a shop

On 2014-02-06, wrote:
And if so please point out where I'm making a misteak.

^^^^^^^

Right there

I'm pretty sure he did that on porpoise, Ig.

Ignoramus18213 February 6th 14 11:45 PM

Wood heat in a shop

On 2014-02-06, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

The cut down tree will be replaced with another tree, which will
absorb carbon when growing.

And the EPA wants to take the last ten-billionth of a percent of
something instead of stopping things which are putting out tens of
percents of those ghastly greenhouse gases. Go figure. Me? I take
the cuts where they matter most. Like swapping from coal to nuclear
power. INSTANT (what, 50%?) decrease in global greenhouse emissions
and a metric ****load less heat produced, too.

With stoves, EPA is concerned not with carbon emissions, but with fine
particulate emissions (smoke), which are bad for your neighbors'
health. This fine particulates is what causes the polluted air horrors
in China.

Once I understood what it was all about, it made complete sense to me
and I do not think that EPA is on a very wrong track. What it wants is
stove designs that burn better and emit less smoke.

PrecisionmachinisT February 7th 14 12:08 AM

Wood heat in a shop

wrote:

[...]

Only difference between burning a tree and it a natural death and decomposition is that in the latter case, it takes longer for the carbon from a rotting tree to return to the atmosphere, where it is once again available to be taken up by a living tree (or in your case, two)

Even setting aside the fact that planting more trees than you burn enriches the atmospheric ogygen concentration, Larry's argument is bogus unless he can come up with practical method for collecting the carbon that results from burning propane and using it to make more propane with.

[email protected] February 7th 14 02:32 AM

Wood heat in a shop

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 6:45:30 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus18213 wrote:

Once I understood what it was all about, it made complete sense to me

and I do not think that EPA is on a very wrong track. What it wants is

stove designs that burn better and emit less smoke.

But the EPA is not doing all it could to get people to use better stove designs. The EPA is never going to manage to prevent people from building wood stoves. And as it is most of those home built stoves will not burn well and will emit a lot of smoke. But if the EPA did some research on wood burning and set up some way for people to purchase EPA approved plans for high efficiency wood stoves. Then people would build better stoves and there would be less pollution. In fact if people could purchase a right to build a good wood stove at a reasonable price, I think people would replace the poor designed stoves with better stoves.

So I think the EPA is on the wrong track, or at least not the best track.

Dan

Paul Hovnanian P.E. February 7th 14 02:44 AM

Wood heat in a shop

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 08:37:09 -0800, wrote:

[snip]

But I am growing wood
faster than I burn it so if I burn wood I will put less carbon in the
air than if I use electricity or propane for heat.

You realize the utter _bull****_ of that statement, don't you? sigh
You're growing trees anyway, so the use of propane would be much, much
better for the ecology. BANK on it.

But if he stopped cutting them and burning them, they'd die, fall down, rot
and release all that CO2 back into the atmosphere anyway. And nobody would
get the benefit of the heat.

Over the long term, forests left alone* have a net zero contribution to
carbon sequestration. The only carbon they can remove from the environment
is that removed by a logging truck.

Pretty much the only natural positive carbon sink is a peat bog.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons,

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 7th 14 04:01 AM

Wood heat in a shop

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 17:45:30 -0600, Ignoramus18213
wrote:

On 2014-02-06, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

It will take 15-100 years for the new tree to replace the CO2-sucking
capabilities of its predecessor. Yes, plant trees, but don't think
that a sapling is anything like its senior citizen tree when it comes
to cleaning air and producing oxygen.

And the EPA wants to take the last ten-billionth of a percent of
something instead of stopping things which are putting out tens of
percents of those ghastly greenhouse gases. Go figure. Me? I take
the cuts where they matter most. Like swapping from coal to nuclear
power. INSTANT (what, 50%?) decrease in global greenhouse emissions
and a metric ****load less heat produced, too.

Pardon my tangent there. I was pointing out the silly things which
they're outlawed in industry for the past several decades while not
even addressing the things which would make real change happen in
lowering the overall national pollution.

With stoves, EPA is concerned not with carbon emissions, but with fine
particulate emissions (smoke), which are bad for your neighbors'
health. This fine particulates is what causes the polluted air horrors
in China.

Yes, I feel it's time to address the wood smoke pollution. Absolutely.
I had trouble breathing today on the trip to my mailbox. I was out of
breath and feeling green when I completed the 90 steps due to the leaf
burning and woodstoves combined with this inversion layer. Ick!

Once I understood what it was all about, it made complete sense to me
and I do not think that EPA is on a very wrong track. What it wants is
stove designs that burn better and emit less smoke.

Overall, the EPA is on an extremely bad track. It will continue to do
very little for the environment while running companies out of
business and costing humans thousands of times more than it should.
I hope their stove regulation changes make good headway into the
problem without causing undue strain on the poor. Why doesn't the EPA
charge more for recurring fines paid by large corporations who
knowingly break the law? The EPA goes after the little guys and
charges them a lot more than it does the corps, fer Crom's sake. A
guy spills a quart of oil and is fined more than the corp who gassed
an entire town, etc. So far, it's considerably cheaper for corps to
break laws (and get away with it) rather than update their anti-smog
technology with existing fixes. Those fines could pay for new tech
where it's needed. Win/Win!

Larry Jaques[_4_] February 7th 14 04:03 AM

Wood heat in a shop

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 18:44:54 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 08:37:09 -0800, wrote:

[snip]

But I am growing wood
faster than I burn it so if I burn wood I will put less carbon in the
air than if I use electricity or propane for heat.

You realize the utter _bull****_ of that statement, don't you? sigh
You're growing trees anyway, so the use of propane would be much, much
better for the ecology. BANK on it.

But if he stopped cutting them and burning them, they'd die, fall down, rot
and release all that CO2 back into the atmosphere anyway. And nobody would
get the benefit of the heat.

Over the long term, forests left alone* have a net zero contribution to
carbon sequestration. The only carbon they can remove from the environment
is that removed by a logging truck.

Pretty much the only natural positive carbon sink is a peat bog.

AFAIC, the whole carbon scene is a silly, political mess. Luckily,
Algore didn't make billions from it as he tried, with his lying,
bull****, made-up story of a movie. He owned lots of shares in carbon
credit companies.

PrecisionmachinisT February 7th 14 06:22 AM

Wood heat in a shop

wrote:

On 2014-02-06, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Just yesterday you were saying it was better to just burn propane....

And the EPA wants to take the last ten-billionth of a percent of
something instead of stopping things which are putting out tens of
percents of those ghastly greenhouse gases. Go figure. Me? I take
the cuts where they matter most. Like swapping from coal to nuclear
power. INSTANT (what, 50%?) decrease in global greenhouse emissions
and a metric ****load less heat produced, too.

Pardon my tangent there. I was pointing out the silly things which
they're outlawed in industry for the past several decades while not
even addressing the things which would make real change happen in
lowering the overall national pollution.

Are you drunk? The above makes no sense whatsoever.....

With stoves, EPA is concerned not with carbon emissions, but with fine
particulate emissions (smoke), which are bad for your neighbors'
health. This fine particulates is what causes the polluted air horrors
in China.

Yes, I feel it's time to address the wood smoke pollution. Absolutely.
I had trouble breathing today on the trip to my mailbox. I was out of
breath and feeling green when I completed the 90 steps due to the leaf
burning and woodstoves combined with this inversion layer. Ick!

Of course...

--but the Surgeon General was wrong in putting warning lables on cigarettes
back in 1966, correct?

Once I understood what it was all about, it made complete sense to me
and I do not think that EPA is on a very wrong track. What it wants is
stove designs that burn better and emit less smoke.

Overall, the EPA is on an extremely bad track. It will continue to

Obviously, you have a chrystal ball...appreciate tell me who's going to win
next years world series, so that I can "bank on it"

do very little for the environment while running companies out of
business and

Name even a single company that was "run out of business by the EPA" and
whose market share wasn't immediately gobbled up by some other company that
takes the EPA regulations a little more seriously.

costing humans

As opposed to costing....mollusks?

thousands of times more than it should.

To accomplish what, exactly?

Why doesn't the EPA
charge more for recurring fines paid by large corporations who
knowingly break the law?

Because idiots like you keep voting for the candidates who are supported by
large corporations...

--got any more stupid questions?

The EPA goes after the little guys and
charges them a lot more than it does the corps, fer Crom's sake.

And, the moon is made of fruitcake.....

guy spills a quart of oil and is fined more than the corp who gassed
an entire town, etc.

Cites?

So far, it's considerably cheaper for corps to
break laws (and get away with it) rather than update their anti-smog
technology with existing fixes.

Yet, you continue supporting politicians who advocate "letting businesses
police themselves"

Those fines could pay for new tech where it's needed. Win/Win!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/Fruitcake.jpg

--

"I was asked once, "You're a smart man. Why aren't you rich?"

I replied, "You're a rich man. Why aren't you smart?"

--Jacque Fresco

John B.[_3_] February 7th 14 12:41 PM

Wood heat in a shop

wrote:

[...]

The question is redundant unless you are going to give up heating your
house if your fire introduces excess carbon into the atmosphere. You
might as well ask how many angels can dance on the head of a needle as
it has as much relevance to the question of heating your house.

As for your frats, I read a very serious article by a Greenie
regarding the release of methane gas in cattle farts which, the
article argued, was a major danger to the earth's environment.

But if one really, really, wants to be green then it is time to do
something about those volcanos. I read one post by a geologist that
reckoned that one volcano emits, in one day, more CO2 then all the
greenies in the U.S. can save in five years.
--
Cheers,

John B.