Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT but so what?

I am going to be oredering gravel for my driveway tomorrow. Not sure
what size to get. Most of the driveway had gravel spread 5 years ago
and it will be getting 1.25" sharp with binder. A new section of road
which is pretty soft I'm thinking needs 2". Maybe with binder too. I
am also considering recycled concrete, but I don't know if it's
available here on the island. Any gravel from off island gets
expensive because of the ferry charges. About $75.00 per load. Anybody
want to weigh in? Tell me what kind or size of gravel I should be
getting? In the new road there is one spot which is especially soft in
the rainy season. Which is pretty long here just north of Seattle. I
am of two minds on how to fix this spot. First, fill with 2" sharp
gravel and then add more as time goes by if the road keeps getting pot
holes from the gravel sinking. Second would be to fire up the backhoe
and dig a hole 4 or 5 feet deep, then fill the hole to about a foot
from the top with rocks that I have collected from my property, top
off with dirt and then 2" gravel. All the rocks I have are rounded so
they may shift over time but I can still add more gravel until they
are stable. I plan on having a yard or so of gravel left over just for
spot filling.
Eric